Amaro Vegetariano y...

Serves meat, veg options available. Menu is separated into vegetarian and non-vegetarian with the veggie dishes being majority. Open air seating and live music on some nights. Price: Expensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Regional Mexican, International, Non-veg
Calle 59 por 60 y 62 Centro Histórico, Yucatan (near Hotel Dolores Elba)
Merida, Mexico
999-928-2451

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by kamdhenu
NickdaSirolo
NickdaSirolo

Good place

3 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2014

In the centre of merida, nice atmosphere and good service. Have a vegetarian part of menù with some dishes.I've tried vegan (vegetarian in the menù, asked without cheese) fajitas and was quite good. Not a lot of choise, but that's ok.

Pros: friendly atmosphere, position, good service
Cons: not a lot of choice
enRoute
enRoute

Quirky, delicious spot

4 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2013

Neat place... apparently it used to be all vegetarian, but like many Mexican veg businesses felt pressure to include meat. Still has a GREAT all-veg menu with tons of interesting options, and is also open late (often with live music) making it a very nice dinner choice.

The ambiance is incredible, as others have mentioned; a gorgeous courtyard decorated with quirky items and dripping with history. It's a fairly upscale place, so don't go expecting cheap eats. Clearly explain that you want "sin lacteos" for vegan dishes. Note that the place is just a block or so away from the central plaza.

Pros: Delicious, Historical, Great ambiance
Cons: Used to be all-veg, sadly no longer, Expensive
jcjames11
jcjames11

Good healthy food

4 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2011

Lovely setting in a court yard under a large tree. We shared stuffed mushrooms to start. Then i had a lovely Spinach Lasagne and my partner had stuffed chicken in a creamy sauce.
Apple pie and fudge cake for desert. Good house wine. Good to have a veggie choice. Staff a bit surely.

Pros: Good food, healthy cuisine, Good choice

vegkat
vegkat

Beautiful space, service, and food!

4 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2009

My partner and I ate at Amaro each day that we were in Merida. We just couldn't stop going back! The courtyard area is very beautiful, the tables are old weaving machines and there are various wrought-iron items decorating the space - bicycles, sewing machines - as well as art exhibitions around the perimeter. The waiters were all lovely and very accommodating of our tragic lack of Spanish. All the meals we tried were excellent - tasty and very filling - and each time we tried to resist the desserts, but could not. The first night we ate so much I was almost unable to get home to our hotel a few blocks away. Would not hesitate to recommend it!

sakura
sakura

delicioso!

4 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2009

I was so excited to find this restaurant in Merida after explanation-exaustion about why it wasn't cool that my bean soup had been cooked with pork in the broth. The food was excellent, and it was refreshing to find something tasty that I didn't have to worry about eating. The dining area was beautiful, with a huge tree in the courtyard, and there were oodles of free literature laying about for visitors to the town. Will definatly re-visit when I go back! I highly recommend the jamaica (ha-maii-ka)

Pros: tasty, good value, friendly
kamdhenu
kamdhenu

Nice Vegetarian Restaurant at the city center

3 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2007

We visited Amaro around Feb 20-21, 2007. Food was good, portions moderate, ambience and service very nice. Would not recommend driving to that place because streets are narrow. Prices were on the high side (USD 35 for 3 people)by Mexican standards. Good choices on the menu for vegetarians. Six blocks from Hotel Dolores Elba - a good place to stay in Merida.

Guest
Guest

Great Food, Service, and Atmosphere!

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2007

I felt very fortunate to find this little gem in Merida, especially considering the non-vegetarian-friendly atmosphere of the city. The server was friendly and prompt and the food was excellent. The picco de gaillo was the best I had in Mexico. The traditional Chaya soup was surprisingly yummy as well. Even the outdoor dining was inviting with trees, plants and paintings.

Pros: great staff, wonderful, fresh food, nice atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Amaro Vegetariano y Internacional: