Amaltea

Serves vegetarian meals and pastries. Has weekly lunch menu, assorted plates, drinks, and dinner menus. Affiliated with Govinda. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Spanish, International, Beer/Wine
C/ Diputacion 164 (espuina Villarroel, Gran Via - Urgell)
Barcelona, Spain 08011

Open Mon-Sat 1-4pm, 8-11:30pm.

First Review by kyvegan
Mitul.patel007
Mitul.patel007

Really Really Bad

2 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2014

The food at the this place was awful. The set menu was poor in choice. You get to chose 2 dishes and then 1 desert. The main that I orders was hummus with pitta and some selection of extras. The dish consisted of a large blob of hummus 1 tortilla wrap and a small rather old looking bit of salad.

For the second course I ordered a pizza which was not bad but nothing great. My wife ordered the cannelloni. The spinach filling was dry and the goats cheese was one large block which was placed on the top of the cannelloni and melted. Again really poor.

Finally the desert was just the worst thing. Both my wife and I ordered apple pie. It came cold and I saw the waiter take it out of a box. So clearly ready made and from what I could tell old.

Much better vegetarian places in Barcelona to visit....

Jean-Jacques Vegan
Jean-Jacques Vegan

A buffet that is not a buffet...

2 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2014

One of the options of your first dish is a so-called salad buffet.

Everywhere else I know, a buffet means you can help yourself freely... Not in this restaurant. Nowhere it was written or said that you could fill your (SMALL) plate ONLY once.

But today, as I went for my second time, an unhappy lady stopped me and said that I was only allowed to do it once...

OK, ma'am, I won't touch your tomatoes ever again.

This same lady was rude to me since my first day there. (I went to this place twice.) But today was my last time.

Some of the other waiters are nice, but I am not going there again.

Shaya
Shaya

Fantastic Veggie/Vegan Food

5 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2014

Wow! We arrived here after traveling all day to get to Barcelona. We were exhausted and starving. The food was delicious and bountiful. We each (5) had an appetizer and a main dish and 2 desserts for the five of us and were so stuffed we couldn't move!! Every single dish-and we had 12 different ones in total, was delicious and healthy. The waitress was beyond nice and helpful. We went back for a second time but they were closed on Sunday evening. Check because hours are sporadic. Highly recommended.

RalphWilliams
RalphWilliams

Great place to start our holiday

5 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2014

Having arrived at Barcelona Sants station it was a short interesting walk via the Miro park to this excellent restaurant for lunch, and it couldn't have been a better start to the holiday.

The starter was hummus and pitta, the main was pizza (not the most exciting choice on my part but I do like a good pizza) and an excellent chocolate cake for dessert.

The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed.

Nina Vegan
Nina Vegan

Simple and great

4 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2014

The owner was kind and helpful for me to choose vegan options in the menu.
We had various dishes and all of us were satisfied.
The desserts were very good too, but we had to take them away, because the portions in the menu are quite generous.
If you look for simple healthy food near Urgell, Amaltea is for you!

Pros: good value, few vegan options , friendly staff

Frijoles
Frijoles

Disappointing

2 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2013

This seemed an incredibly popular restaurant. It is large with many tables but people were still queuing for a lunchtime table! The staff were friendly and helpful.

However, the food was not enjoyable. Maybe we made poor choices from the menu, but we ended up with very disappointing food. I had the strange combination of pumpkin, prunes, tomato sauce and an unidentifable meat substitute thing. My partner had mashed potato, guacamole and horrible 'wheat gluten meat substitute' which we both felt was inedible. Our starters (spaghetti, and dhal) were not as bad as the mains - at least we could eat them. We decided not to stay for the dessert even though it was included in our 'menu del dia' because the main courses were so unpleasant.

If you're desperate for veggie food and in the area, maybe you can find something to eat here but I would not recommend for a special trip or for an evening meal which would have been much more expensive than the lunch deal.

Pros: Helpful staff, Some diary free options, Lunch 'menu' offer for around 11 euros
Cons: Poor food quality, Strange food combinations, Tasteless
aps101
aps101

Decent Choice

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

The menu is predominantly vegetarian but there are a few vegan options that are clearly labelled. The owner is kind and helpful. They offer only a three course option but are great about packing up any extra food that you can't finish. While not extraordinary, it is a very solid choice.

Pros: Healthy, Friendly
runsten
runsten

no vegan options!

3 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

I should maybe not write a review because I left this restaurant without eating here. They had very little vegan option and nothing seemed to be be good enough for lunch or diner. The staff was also not friendly and it took a long time to get them to explain what vegan options they actually had.

For vegetarians not vegans

Pros: for vegetarains
Cons: few boring vegan options
paypar
paypar

Satisfying and Filling, Not Fancy

3 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2011

Amaltea was right around the corner from the Hotel Soho (and across the street from an Indian restaurant we didn't get a chance to visit. Closest metro is Urgell.

The owner is a vegetarian and Hare Krishna and the food reminds me of Hare Krishna meals. The prix fixe dinner was quite substantial, with a soup, entree and dessert. Neither of us could finish our entrees. This is a low key restaurant with no frills - this is not a gourmet!

If you are in this area and want a filling vegetarian meal this is a good place to go, but I would not necessarily travel out of you way to eat here. That is not to say I did not enjoy my meal or the service, just don't expect anything fancy.

Pros: friendly staff, good value, simple food
Cons: not gourmet, simple food
SlopaMatmomsen
SlopaMatmomsen

Low expecations, but still disappointing!

2 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2011

Before we went to Amaltea, we read some reviews here on Happy Cow. We noticed some quite bad reviews, but since it was really close to our stay in Barcelona, we went there anyway. Our expectations were quite low, but still we got really disappointed! The food is simply not made with any love at all. You get a lot, so you will not go away hungry, but that's it. Our group tried about half of the menu of starters and mains, and everything was tasteless, ugly and bad. Only some desserts was good. I will not recommend this Amaltea to anyone

Pros: A lot of food, Healthy food
Cons: Tasteless
nata_v
nata_v

after rain comes sunshine

3 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2011

initially, we had a very bad experience at Amaltea. We came with expectations and the food turned out to be something that we did not expect.

However, after we expressed this openly, the restaurant owner contacted us to rectify the mistake.

Good service and open communication.. though the food is not always what you expect ;)

Cons: freshness
vinnyk
vinnyk

Best veg restaurant in Barcelona

4 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2010

Went here for dinner one day. Absolutely loved it, good food, decent price for a 3 course set menu at ~€14.50. Starter spring rolls were very nice. All round was very good, would defiantly recommend.

Pros: Calm environment, Tasty food, Lovely dessert
Theaudacityofboats
Theaudacityofboats

Our least good veggie meal in Barcelona

2 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2010

While always grateful for an entirely veggie menu we were disappointed in the quality of the food. As others have said, portions are big, but this doesn't make up for the blandness. We had pita + hummus and spaghetti for starters followed by canneloni - very dry filling - and seitan escalope - like school dinner food - and felt very full. They even managed to do something to their apple purée that made it somehow unpleasant. Wouldn't go back or recommend - mosquito tapas and organica are much better

Pros: Large portions, Nice grape juice
Cons: Poor food
hack_man
hack_man

Interesting and Calming

3 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2010

A very pleasant place with friendly and attentive staff who appear to be proud to work and run this establishment. Easy to find, just round the corner from the Rafael Casanova Hotel we were staying at. The food is good and hearty, a bit in the style of the Govinda vegetarian restauarants around Europe. Coincidentally they have a twin restaurant in Barcelona which is a Govindas. The only problem here (which shouldn't really be a problem, but is) is that they do not serve wine or beer. It's always nice to have a bottle of wine with an evening meal over a couple of hours or so. I'd definitely go back but during the day for lunch.

Pros: nice interior, friendly staff, good opening hours
Cons: no alcohol
estefinparis
estefinparis

Enjoyable experience

3 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2009

This restaurant offers fairly simple and inexpensive veg alternatives in the Eixample area of Barcelona. Portions are huge and this is a bit of a turn-off, as it is impossible to finish the food on your plate. We had the "bioplato" and the spinach, chick pea and aubergine stew for starters, both of which were ok, and the tofu, plum and vegetables coucous and seitan with guacamole and mashed potatoes as main. The seitan was really good but desserts were probably the best part of the meal. Will surely return to try out other items in the menu.

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

agree with other reviewer, if you are in the area

3 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2009

No reason not to eat here, but no reason to travel to it. Food is bland krishna. We had the dahl and seitan and both where w/o flavor. Its set meals so you pick an appetizer and a main for 14.50 euro, we split as the portions were huge. English not spoken, but they will mark with a "v' everything that is vegan.

Cons: bland
Midori
Midori

Okay

3 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2009

There were multiple vegan options at this lacto-veg restaurant (all dishes being egg-free), which was nice. For my set price meal, I got a decent miso soup, bread, and a plate that included a good homemade veggie burger patty (no bun), baked sweet potato (surprisingly good - cooked just right), and an avocado salad that was overly chilled. There was a marinara-style tomato sauce on the plate, presumably to dip the veggie burger in, but I didn't think the two went together, so I donated it to my lacto husband, who received a pizza with too much cheese and not enough sauce for his taste. There is no wine here, and although our server helpfully offered to find me an apple puree, there are no real vegan desserts. There is, however, a good variety of herbal teas, and for the lacto veggies, yogurt drinks.

The service here was slow, probably because one server was covering the entire restaurant, which made her job hard. On the plus side, the place is nonsmoking. There are better vegetarian restaurants in Barcelona, though if you find yourself in the area of Amaltea, there is no reason not to step in for one meal.

Pros: vegan options, good portion sizes, herbal tea
Cons: understaffed, no wine, no vegan dessert
diehard
diehard

OK, but not great

3 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2008

True, the price was right at 10 euro's for lunch, but the dhal was only ok. The salad bar was good, as was the homemade bread. The spinach lasagne was so cheesy as to be almost un-edible. The apple crumble and coffee were good, and the staff very friendly and helpful. If you want ok food at a good price, go there. Otherwise, try some of the other veggie places around town.

Pros: cheap, friendly staff
Cons: so so food
mariabsmail
mariabsmail

A veggie gem

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2008

I had lunch at Amaltea and it was a very enjoyable experience. For 10 euros you get a three course meal (huge portions) and a drink - the food is really nice and the salad bar is great. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the atmosphere was really nice and welcoming. A great little veggie haven - I really recommend paying a visit to when in Barcelona.

Pros: friendly staff, good value, great food
gobi108
gobi108

Best Vegetarian in Barcelona!

5 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2007

This was by far my favorite place to eat in Barcelona. I tried many other vegetarian places during one week and this was the only one we went back to again. The dinner menu was 14 euros for an appetizer, which was really big and filling, an entree and dessert. The salad bar was fresh, and the dahl appetizer was so yummy. All the entrees were delicious also. I had the coconut flan for deessert and it was great.

Pros: so yummy, good price, large servings
dianajoy
dianajoy

Yummy and Friendly

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2007

We went there for lunch at the end of August and really enjoyed our meals, we both chose the 'menu' at about 8 euros, which included two hearty options from about 10 or so choices (I would consider both 'entrees' and the menu confused us a bit, but our server was very nice in explaining things), as well as a drink and dessert. I chose the salad bar as one option, and it was full of fresh, appetizing choices, including a type of guacamole that I didn't recognize at first since it was more yellow than the green I'm used to, but super tasty. We both got cheesy dishes for our second choice, but it seems like vegans can eat well too. And the staff were very friendly and informative, the decor pleasant and appealing (especially compared to another restaurant we tried the previous day, for lack of better options at the time, Fres co, an all you can eat salad bar that was not so great and very noisy!). My only complaint was the stinginess with the water, since they gave me bottled water the first time, and I just wanted tap water the second time around, which seemed to annoy the server and she just brought me a small wine-glass full. A carafe would have been nice, since we were very hot and thus very thirsty! But otherwise, an all around great place, I definitely recommend it!

Pros: good food, friendly staff, good value
Cons: not enough water
kyvegan
kyvegan

Lots of vegan options!

5 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2007

I had a number of amazing culinary experiences during my week in Barcelona but this was, by far, my favorite! Went for dinner and had the prix fixe menu. The waiter was extraordinarily friendly and helpful. He pointed out which dishes were vegan (about 80%) and I was impressed with the portion sizes. Best of all--vegan chocolate carrot cake for desert! Couldn't ask for a nicer experience or a more hospitable staff. Try the tofu curry!

Pros: friendly staff, vegan options, nice portions
Cons: none!

Dear Owner and Manager of Amaltea: