CLOSED: Amala at Prana

Eclectic menu, largely dairy based menu but most dishes may be made vegan on request. Beautiful location and interesting menu. Health inspired cuisine. DEC 2013 REPORTED CLOSED, no longer veg. Price: Expensive more-less
Lacto, Western, International, Chinese, Italian, Thai
16/8, 16/13-26 Moo-4, Bophut
Koh Samui, Thailand 84320
66-0-77426362

Open 7am-10pm.

First Review by AkashaBertozzi
Meowmeow
Meowmeow

A very nice and affordable dining experience

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

Lots of options on the Thai food menu are vegan. With Thai food you really only need to worry about fish sauce, oyster sauce, and egg being in a vegetable curry. The fish sauce is not an issue here since it's a vegetarian restaurant but the servers' English is not strong and explaining what a vegan is was tricky. I would suggest printing out a note in Thai that explains what you can't eat. We used a translation app to say "no egg", "no dairy". It's a shame the management doesn't teach them this and vegan items aren't labelled on the menu.

That said, we had a thoroughly enjoyable meals here. It's a lovely resort and the food and surroundings were much nicer than at our hotel down the beach.

The tofu satay was excellent with just the right amount of spice. I really like the coconut yellow curry as well. The fried tofu with cashew was okay but not my favourite. Our cocktails were both made with fresh blended fruit, making them very good.

For dessert, we had a mango sticky rice, which was the highlight of the meal for me. It was the best I've ever had and expertly plated!

We returned for breakfast even though it's very egg-heavy, because they had a vegan dim sum option listed. Sadly, it wasn't available, so we asked if they could make us the pancakes vegan (again, explaining no egg, no cow's milk was difficult). Even though it was listed as banana pancakes, they were also out of bananas (how this is possible I don't know). They offered pineapple instead and we went for that.

All in all, a pretty solid dinner spot for vegans, trickier breakfast spot. They also have an Italian menu to choose from. You won't do much better on this north stretch of Ko Samui, so if you're staying in the area I would recommend dining here. I'd also recommend staying here because it was the same price as our hotel (Punnpreeda Hip) but several times nicer!

Pros: Good food, Mango sticky rice , Nice decor
Cons: Vegan options not labelled, Servers don't know what vegan is and their English, Out of menu items we wanted to order and they don'
vtraveller
vtraveller

Beautiful spot, good food

4 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2012

I was here today and enjoyed the location of this spot. It's nice to come here in the afternoon. While the menu doesn't denote what's vegan and is very dairy oriented, I was still happy with the choices and liked my meal, pictured above. The staff spoke only a little English. Prices are not exceptionally high considering the ambiance and presentation.
It's great that there's an all vegetarian place of this standard and the location is convenient enough to get to from Chaweng by motorbike / car. Good wi-fi is available. Overall, worth a visit if you're veg on Samui.

Pros: All Veg, Ambiance
Cons: Dairy
AkashaBertozzi
AkashaBertozzi

overpriced and nothing special

2 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2011

we just eat there. beautiful location, very friendly stuff. ordered a soup without mushroom, got a soup with just mushroom.maybe three spoon of soup fpr 200 baht.got an phat thai for 300 baht which was nothing special at all. my husband got fettucini, which where so spicy that he couldnt eat it. 350 baht. what a ripoff. never will got there again. payd 21500 baht and left with an upset and half empty stomach. a pity

Pros: location, friendly stuff, food looks nice
Cons: staff doesnt understand the order, really overpriced, boring food

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Amala at Prana: