Alto Cinco

Serves meat, veg options available. Good selection of vegan and vegetarian entrees and salads marked on menu. Nice dining area. Only meat served is chicken and catfish. Open late on weekends. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg
526 Westcott St (north of Euclid)
Syracuse, New York 13210
315-422-6399

First Review by MandyR
gwild
gwild

good not great

3 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2014

This place serves meat but had numerous vegetarian and vegan items on the menu.
I'm glad we went here at a quiet hour as Alto Cinco has limited seating. They had hip metal tables and textured green walls.
I had the BBQ tofu plate for $12. It included steamed spinach, rice, black beans and salad. The BBQ sauce they put on the tofu had a slight kick but overall I It was a little bland. I should have ordered guacamole to top it off.

The rest of my family all said their meals were good but not great. They had:
the Vegan tostada for $8,
The Vegan burrito- filled with brown rice eggplant roasted tomato pesto and spinach $for 12,
and a cheese burrito.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Pros: friendly service. lots of veg options
Cons: limited seating
giantvegan
giantvegan

Fantastic

4 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2013

This is a fantastic place. There are a lot of vegan options and everything tastes fresh. I would definitely give it 5 happy cows if I could. My wife and I go several times a month.

Pros: Fresh, Delicious
Cons: Small (they are expanding soon)
lizbelden
lizbelden

Yummmmmm!

4 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2013

Alto Cinco is our go to place for burritos and veg plates. The food is delicious, lots of vegan options, and the staff is great. The space is so small, however, that we always call in an order to go.

Pros: Huge portions, Delicious vegan options
Cons: Tiny, cramped space
bumberrshoot
bumberrshoot

in love

4 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2011

I love Alto Cinco. I love their beer selections, I love their food. The staff has always been friendly. Sometimes it can get pretty slammed in dining area and the service isn't the fastest, but I can always tell the servers are working hard, so I don't really mind if my food takes a bit longer than normal or if I don't get a follow up visit from my server, it's well worth the wait to me. However, most the time I go there I don't have any issues with service. The atmosphere is also fantastic. My current favorite is the Angelino burrito and the Vegan quesadilia with BBQ tofu added inside. Yum. The servers all know what veganism is, so there is never any confusion or frustrating incidents.

Pros: nice dining atmosphere, great food
Cons: can get crowded
ladybugs323
ladybugs323

Worth a trip

4 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2011

Alto Cinco offers some good options for Vegetarians/vegans. They have good food, service is usually pretty good.
The restaurant is so crowded tables are back to back. I guess that just shows that lots of people like to eat there.

Pros: Good Food , Veg options
Cons: VERY crowded
stokedonspokes
stokedonspokes

possibly best burrito on the east coast

4 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2009

shortly after moving to San Francisco you are indoctrinated in the church of Cali-Mex food in which you are forced to repeat "there is no good burritos on the east coast." which, is almost entirely true. however, when i have returned to visit my parents in Syracuse i have always found myself going to Alto Cinco and getting the Super-Vegan Burrito, extra spicy. And it still holds up as an excellent burrito, even after all the amazing burritos I must consume on a near daily basis as a bike courier in San Franciso. The only downside is you pay at least a dollar more than a similar burrito in San Francisco (i've got my spot that i pay under 4 bucks for a burrito with guacamole) and you don't get free chips!

Pros: Tasty Burrito, Good Guac, Friendly Staff
Cons: You pay for chips, Vegan Burrito on the high side of price
TexasVegan
TexasVegan

Not so impressed

3 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2008

I've heard the locals rave about this restaurant, but as a Texan, I was raised on Mexican food, and this restaurant is not so impressive to me. First of all, it's my first experience with a Mexican food restaurant in which you have to pay for chips and salsa (and they are not cheap). Second, the food is relatively expensive. Finally, I wasn't impressed with the quality of my food. I'm sure I'm just a mexican food snob, but for the prices I paid there I believe I ought to be blown away. I simply was not. Like the above reviewer mentioned, it is a very small space and the wait for a table can be long. However, the flip side of that is a cozy little space with a pretty cool feel to it. My waitress was very friendly, though over-worked. In short, I enjoyed the environment and the service, I didn't enjoy the food or the prices. Again, the locals seem to love it - I don't. Color me a Mexican food elitist.

Pros: friendly staff, nice environment
Cons: expensive, mediocre mexican food
MandyR
MandyR

A-MAZING

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2007

Fabulous food, extremely tasty, reasonable prices, easily vegan options, very friendly. Fairly small, best to get there early evening if you expect a seat. They also have a large take out menu as well.

Dear Owner and Manager of Alto Cinco: