Restaurant, cafe, day spa, yoga studio, and shop. Vegan and raw food dishes sold by weight. Cakes and desserts made by their own pastry chefs, with gluten free options. Reported all vegan Aug 2012. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, English, Organic, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Take-out
14 East Street
Brighton, England BN11HP
0127-3823178

First Review by gr8vegan
paul.michael
paul.michael

Dont miss this little gem!

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2012

Been to Alkora twice for the buffet and have to say both times I have been so impressed, great atmosphere, very friendly staff, well priced. Food is lovely fresh raw dishes combining flavours and colour. Pay by weight I had a good plateful which priced at around a tenner. I had the orange and berry cream cheese cake for dessert, which was border line amazing. They also open a restaurant in the evening, which I'm yet to experience but if its anything like the buffet then I know I'm in for a real treat. If you visit Brighton Alkora really needs to be on top of your list of places to eat. Enjoy!

Pros: So healthy, Great atmosphere , Well priced
Cons: Not many tables
Purple Cobwebs
Purple Cobwebs

Amazing Food!

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2011

If you've never eaten in the Rawfood restaurant upstairs at Aloka, you're missing a treat!
The food is just amazing, and the staff very knowledgable.
Every course just tantalises the tastebuds. The depths of flavours are amazing. It's just so difficult to adequately describe the food.
We went in a group made up of mostly vegans, but also a couple of Omni's, and everyone was impressed.
Would highly recommend to anyone.

Pros: Amazing flavours, Presentation, Great staff
KaleIsTheAnswer
KaleIsTheAnswer

Yes. A lovely place!!

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2011

We went to the dinner on the second floor. It was wonderful. Atmosphere relaxed, staff very nice, food excellent. The dinner menu offered raw and cooked dishes, all of it vegan. We particularly liked the curry dish. The berry cheesecake was spectacular. It was available the next day on the first floor. If you can't have dinner there (and it's a shame if you can't), at least stop by for some cheesecake!

mikehill64
mikehill64

very enjoyable

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2011

lovely evening here in the upstairs restaurant, dont be put off by the white plastic chairs! the food was lovely. eat raw starter, main and pudding. homous and cheesecake were the highlights and service was very friendly and knowledgeable

jojoinbrighton
jojoinbrighton

Brilliant!

Posted on 05 / 01 / 2011

I love Aloka & I find myself going there almost every week! The buffet always has a great selection which changes often so if you go regularly you don't get bored with the same thing over and over again. They do fantastic desserts and I love their mint chocolate chip ice cream. Although Aloka are listed as vegetarian I haven't seen anything non vegan there aside from cow's milk for coffee's in a long time.

I'm really looking forward to trying the raw restaurant upstairs soon.

Pros: cheap take out, amazing vegan ice cream, great gluten free & raw options
Cons: eat-in dinner can be a little pricy
zufre
zufre
  • raw

Relaxing and good food

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2010

Just been there for lunch today and it's a really lovely place. Very relaxed and calming environment.
There was plenty of good quality food to choose from including hot and cold selections which you pay for by weight and are clearly marked veggie/vegan/raw. Me and my partner both had a nice plateful for under £6.
Apparently there's a raw food only restaurant upstairs in the evening. Sadly this afternoon we left Brighton otherwise we'd have definitely gone there tonight.

Pros: raw food only upstairs, try lots of different things, relaxing place
yogs
yogs

top grub

Posted on 04 / 04 / 2010

first visit there, and will go again!, laods off great vegan food on the hot plate,(all still warm and fresh), a pay per weight with a two for one deal,(see staff for times)

Pros: hot food, fresh, labled vegan
vegantraveller
vegantraveller

Lovely place!

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2010

I go there a lot, its very good. There are a lot of options for vegans. But sometimes theres very little, its hit or miss. The dessert is very good also, a lot of raw desserts. The raw-reo is the best that i've had. Its not all you can eat, you pay by weight. The staff is very nice and friendly.

Pros: raw options, good vegan good
Cons: strange set up
RockChick
RockChick

Fabulous!

Posted on 02 / 21 / 2010

Me and hubby went there yesterday and it is now our favourite restaurant in Brighton. Being able to choose from a wide variety of yummy vegan/raw/vegetarian dishes was lovely - hubby had chocolate cake for dessert and I had ice-creams - lovely! Definitely going back again soon! Lovely rioja too.

Pros: Price, Location, Sheer yumminess
  • RockChick RockChick

Just a follow up! Still fabulous, but they've done something weird with the ice-cream. It was deliciously homemade before, but they've changed something (not home-made anymore?) and they've took away the chocolate sauce!?!?!? What kind of craziness is that!!! Bring it all back Aloka! You had 10/10 but I've now had to revise my points to 8/10!

RisingForce
RisingForce

Exceptional!

Posted on 02 / 04 / 2010

It's so easy to miss, I can't believe I've walked past this hidden little gem so many times without ever noticing it. From the moment I entered it just felt right. It's so much more than a restaurant, it had a profound effect on me on different levels. It has a special, calming atmosphere. I loved the design, dominated by white. It's clean, it's modern. Even before I left I was looking forward to my next visit. They have special evening meal offers: you can either have main course plus alcohol for £10 (or £8 with a soft drink) or you can have a starter and main course or main course and dessert for £10. My partner and I both had 3 courses, plus I had a yummy vegetable juice and this amounted to £30 which I'd call cheap. For the main course you can fill your plate with as much food from the self-service counter as you want (only once, though). A few days later I had some take-away from them and that was when I paid by weight. The food options on the counter change frequently. Absolutely delicious, high quality food, around 95% vegan. Their raw 'cheese'cakes were really, really nice as well. I also like their responsible food sourcing policy (local and seasonal as much as possible). They have a loyalty scheme going on: you collect 9 stamps in your little booklet in the appropriate category and you get your 10th hot drink, juice, self-serve food (or yoga class) for free. As it's a shop as well, they sell colourful little bottles used in colour therapy and this just adds to the atmosphere. If I could rate this place higher, I would. The first ever restaurant which I can describe as total perfection.

Pros: cheap, soft, relaxing music, excellent service
sola11
sola11

Aloka - beautiful place, beautiful food

Posted on 10 / 12 / 2009

Food here is homecooked, all vegetarian, much of it vegan, & sold by weight so that you are invited to choose what & how much you eat, allowing an intuitive approach to eating. As well as vibrant salads & delicious hot dishes there are sumptuous desserts including raw 'cheese' cakes & vegan ice-creams (dairy-free, soy-free) that are just delicious. Homemade chai, a juicebar and gorgeous smoothies, biodynamic coffees & wines, all this & a yoga studio & treatment rooms as well. All in all a great experience & a must-try if you're in the area.

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Easy to miss with Terra Terra across the street!

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2009

I ended up reading about this on a blog after walking past it a dozen times. We had the tropical smoothie, which isn't worth ordering, but their home made cashew ice cream (espresso and blueberry we tried) were outstanding! The cafe is very fresh and cute with a buffet at lunch filled with vegan items. Very Eco vibe and pleasant staff.

Pros: cashew ice cream

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Aloka: