CLOSED: Alkarmel Vegetarian...

Home style cooked food in a comfy atmosphere. JUN 2014 CLOSED. RENAMED TO THE RHYTHM POT AND ADDED MEAT. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, English, International, BYOB

First Review by beenie
jollypig
jollypig

Nice, cheap and basic cafe

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2014

This may be the last review on here of the Alkarmel cafe as the owner told me that it would be rebranded as 'The Rhythm Pot' from July 2014. Unfortunately, a lack of veggie customers means that they will have to start serving meat in addition to the vegetarian and vegan options.

This is a shame, but let's not blame the owner - she was very keen to keep it veggie. If it had been supported locally then it would remain veggie, but without that support it would have had to close. A lesson for us all to make sure we support our local veggie restaurants.

The Alkarmel is a basic cafe with a number of changing daily items. When we went there was lasagne, chilli, coconut curry, sweet potato pie, salad etc. I had a bit of a few things and it was all tasty. The portion was huge and we were charged £10 for our two meals and two drinks. Ridiculously cheap.

The cafe is in a relatively quiet residential area of Clapham and was quiet when we were there. It's nice inside; quite basic, but with nice art on the walls.

I wish the new place good luck; hopefully by enticing the carnivores to try veggie food.

Pros: Very cheap, Good food, Quiet area close to Clapham North tube
Eugene Nyunt.
Eugene Nyunt.

Helpful and tasty.

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2013

I went here today because I was in the area and had for lunch some black-eyed pea rice together with a helpful scoop of bean curry. Both were really nice. I'm not sure how well I conveyed this but the beans were nicely spiced. I mentioned I was vegan beforehand and was pointed to what I could consume being faithful to my values. About 4,50 GBP at 11:30 AM with no one else in the cafe until midday. That said I didn't feel rushed or watched, which was certainly a plus.

Pros: Good cooking, Close to transport (Clapham North tube), Value
beenie
beenie

Freindly and cheap !

5 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2012

Nice and simple cafe that serves veg and vegan food for redonkulously cheap !

Pros: friendly, good food, cheap as
Cons: closes early alot of evenings

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Alkarmel Vegetarian Cafe: