Alhambra Gastronomia Naturale

Offers vegan food, cake, ice cream, and complimentary tea. Sample dishes might come with tofu, seitan, or hummus and falafel. Atmosphere is warm. Previously operated as Alhambra Mensasana, now no longer part of Alhambra Mensasana club. Open house may vary - call ahead before you go. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Italian, Mediterranean, Western, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by artilibere
VenusVegan
VenusVegan

Carino!

3 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2014

E' una gastronomia che vende a peso. Il cibo è saporito e gustoso, ma viene scaldato.
Il personale è confusionario e indaffarato, il locale piccolo con troppi posti a sedere, l'ambiente non risulta gradevole.
Ma per un pranzo veloce è ottimo, buona anche la soluzione dell'asporto.

Pros: good value , tasty food
Cons: Tables are too close to each other , Food is reheated, little space
cyberlp23
cyberlp23

Excellent restaurant végétarien au kilo

5 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2014

L'Alhambra, à mi chemin entre la gare centrale et la porta Venezia, est un excellent restaurant végétarien comme on aimerait en voir davantage en France :
- système de prix au kilo (19€/kg quand j'y étais, prix identique le soir, ce qui est déjà suffisamment rare en soi)
- si le prix ne vous dit pas grand chose, sachez qu'une grande assiette variée (cf. Photo uploadée ici même) coûte de 8 à 11€
- pain brun à la cannelle et hummus offert en entrée
- pas de mauvaise surprise puisque le service est inclus
- grande variété de légumes, légumineuses, et plats à base de protéines végétales (protéines de soja, tofu en sauce, seitan à la tomate...), falafels.
- quand j'y suis allé, il n'y avait malheureusement pas soupes, et un choix limité de desserts.

Le service est basique mais sympathique. Le lieu est agréable, notamment pour sa terrasse, et une musique de fond légère (ce qui change des trattoria diffusant de la soupe FM à grands renforts de décibels), mais ne vous attendez pas à un endroit particulièrement confortable ou trendy : c'est assez basique, et l'on se bouscule un peu pour faire la queue et choisir son plat.

Au final, une excellente cantine veggie, offrant un très bon rapport qualité prix, et un système intelligent de nourriture au kilo.

Pros: Tasty, Cheap, Nourriture au kilo
unusualmagic
unusualmagic

Cheap and Very Good

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2014

This place is definetely one of the best vegan reataurant you can find in Milan. You can have a lot of variety food for 10-13 euro. The owners are really gentle and friendly.

sglcklch
sglcklch

Great food and value, but cash only (!)

4 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2014

This is yet another weight-based buffet restaurant. They seem to like this style in Europe, which I'm weary of because most of the time they are overpriced to begin with and you won't know how much your plate costs up until you bring it on the scale, which very often turns into a shocking revelation... Well, at least for me anyway. Personally I'd much rather pay more for all-you-can-eat.

That being said, this place was a fairly decent value at €19/kg ($8.64/lb). A bit more for desserts (€30/kg) but we didn't see any throughout our meal. Food was very good. The preparations and seasonings were exotically distinctive - heavily African-inspired I could only assume given the ethnic background of the whole team. We got in early and they were still setting up, so we just sat nibbling at the homemade bread while waiting. I loved that bread a lot; it was very unique - dark brown in color, savory, spiced and redolent of cinnamon. I probably ate much more of it than I should have.

We started with sambusas and hummus, which were both excellent. Then we had our our main plates full of various kinds of veggies, rice, beans, tofu, tempeh, seitan, etc. All delicious. The lasagna was the only one dish that I wasn’t too crazy about. It was greasy, had very little filling and thereby structure… pretty much just pasta sheets in some oily gunk. Skip it. Another thing about this place that kind of bugged me was that I didn’t get to spoon my own food, but rather, they had to do it for me. I'd like to control the portions myself because usually I would get a small spoonful of everything first, then go for seconds on the good stuff. However, the staff here somehow insisted on piling up my plate even though I kept telling them otherwise. This was the only reason I rated this place a 4 instead of 5.

Pros: good value, tasty food
Cons: can’t personally spoon food
TheHolyV
TheHolyV

Good food but, almost all reheated.

3 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

Like the previous reviewer, when I visited in October 2013 I was also asked to leave the table and it was the same experience with most tables around me, in a fairly busy evening. To be noted that we had booked a table and we were hoped to be treated a bit more kindly.

Anyway, the venue does not look like much as the space has been taken over from a previous restaurant and the decor has not changed. Yet, the atmosphere was warm, although tables were so close to each other it was easy to listen to others' conversations.

However, I enjoyed the food: you are presented with a large choice, you pick what you want to eat and the food you have chosen gets weighted and you pay by weight. The food is mostly pre-cooked and it just get reheated at the last minute but this did not detract from the taste. Everything was presented nicely on a plate and I enjoyed it all until I was asked to go.

They definitely take too many bookings: in a coldish evening, they had a lot of people who were dining outside...

If they stopped being greedy with their tables, this could become a good vegan restaurant.

Pros: Good food, Decent location
Cons: We were asked to leave the table, Tables are too close to each other, Food is reheated
Sarayna
Sarayna

Bit rude....

3 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

I don't want to be negative about a vegetarian restaurant as I really want to support them...but we really were quite upset by how we were treated at this restaurant.
It was very busy and when we tried to order a hot drink after the meal we were told we couldn't have it and that we would have to leave because they needed the table :-(
We had eaten so much of the very yummy food it was quite unpleasant to have to get up and walk miles home straight away. Suppose it's a good thing that a vege restaurant is so popular though....So would definitely recommend it for a quick lunch, but not for a sociable dinner perhaps.

Pros: Amazing food
Cons: Rushed, Too busy
devu
devu

Wow

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

I've heard about Alhambra for months from vegan friends and I had never been able to try it. Until today.

It's a small and very crowded (reservation is almost necessary, especially during week end) buffet restaurant. As Mens@Sana you compose your dish by choosing between 20-30 available food types: cereals, veggies, legumes, seitan, tofu etc. and pay by weight of the plate. The thing is that food is freshly made just before each lunch and dinner, not the day before as other popular chains, and the difference is enormous.

Plus, the owner and waitress are infinitely gentle and warm-hearted it will be a pleasure to eat at their place. Strongly suggested!

Pros: Fresh cooked food, Kindness of the owner, Soo good!
Cons: Small and crowded, reserve your table!
SteveAS
SteveAS

GREAT FOOD!!!

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

My wife & I visited this establishment twice in the week we were in Milan & both times experienced good value for money & very tasty food from warm & friendly owners!

Pros: Buffet choose what you like, Good value in Milan, Friendly & welcoming
Jalebi Boy
Jalebi Boy

Good Meal near Central Station

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2013

Lots of good tasty choices at this buffet pay-by-weight restaurant. We had a few hours between trains and so were happy to have lunch here, about 15 minutes' walk from Central Train Station. Each big meal cost about 11 euros [we were hungry]. There is a gelato place next door for dessert.

Pros: Tasty, friendly, helpful staff, outdoor tables on the sidewalk
Cons: Didn't open until 1230 Saturday, not expensive but not inexpensive either
dbm
dbm

Excellent vegan restaurant in Milano

5 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2013

Excellent food, very helpful staff. Was quite busy at lunch time and so we sat outside but even though this was a "self service" operation, the staff insisted on helping set up our table and bring out our food. Food was very good.

Pros: Good vegan food, Super helpful staff
Cons: Can be crowded at lunchtime
Tofupower
Tofupower

Lovely.

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2013

I loved it! The staff were so caring and smiley! There was a massive selection of different dishes and I love that it's pay by weight. I tried a bit f everything ha ha and it was all really yum. Lots of veges. Delicious tofu and seitan. They Gave us a gorgeous salad for free as well as a few samosas and a delicious green pea dip they'd made - all on the house! Lovely wine and free delicious fruit tea. Looking forward to returning soon

Pros: Portions, Price, Staff
Cons: None!
L_Almo_Clelarco
L_Almo_Clelarco

Great lunch break

4 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

I am lucky enough to work quite near to Alhambra.
When I get the chance I go and have lunch break there. It is a pay per weight place, where food is prepared by the owners in a very tasty way.
There's not much space and word is spreading they offer great food, so it's often packed.
I love their food, and the owner Salvatore is so caring and kind.
I would definitely advice giving it a try. Be early, otherwise food may end.

Pros: Great food, Reasonable price, Kind owner and people
Cons: Often packed: little space, You don't have to be in a rush
ElizabethandMichael
ElizabethandMichael

an absolute delight

5 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2012

This restaurant is a gem and if we lived in Milan we would eat here very often. The food is delicious with lots of green vegetables which can be hard to find when on holiday. The owners are enthusiastic about their food and very generous and helpful with explaining what is in the variuos dishes. We were supplied with an aromatic tisane to drink and all there are given a starter which includes an unusual homemade bread made from flour which contains many different different grains. Each mouthful of food was delicious. Thank you. Elizabeth and Michael

Pros: wonderful food, friendly staff, good atmosphere
vegancharlie
vegancharlie

disappointing

3 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2012

first vegan restaurant experience in milan and it was a bit disappointing to be honest.
its a pay by weight deal which is confusing & difficult when you're on a budget travelling.
it took a while for someone to help us out & no one explained what the deal was or how much things were.
there were about 6 different vegetable dishes that you could choose from & they fill up your cardboard plate.
the food was alright but nothing special.. a bit on the oily side & it was microwaved which i found weird.
also - cardboard plates when you're eating in seems a bit wasteful to me.

for a decent amount of food you'll be paying about 10€ which i thought was way overpriced for what you get - compared to other restaurants around that area.

you do get free tea though which was nice.

• SteveAS SteveAS

Sorry your experience wasen't as good as ours. Just want to point out though that its actually a small oven & not a microwave they use to heat the food which seems they prepare regular as were bringing new dishes out all the time.

AndyColquitt
AndyColquitt

Great Little Restaurant

5 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2012

Visited this place a number of times on my visit to Milan and enjoyed it on every occasion. Fabulous vegan food served by very attentive and friendly staff. Definitely worth a visit!! I even proposed to my girlfriend here so will always have happy memories of the place.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Good value for money
ahronlu
ahronlu

The best vegan choise in Milan

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2012

The best vegan rest that i taste in all over europe!! and i tasted a lot!! excellent food!!

Pros: Super friendly staff, Good value, Healthy cuisine
veg.dan
veg.dan

good option in Milan.

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

Partner and I ate here as it was reasonably close to our hostel. We had the option of selecting a big portion of one dish or selection of all of the dishes and went with the latter. The food was good, some dishes a bit oily but nice range esp the watermelon at the end which was good considering the humidity. Staff were nice and price was okay. Could do with a few more drink options.

artilibere
artilibere

Friendly and colourful

5 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2012

What can an ethiopean friendly guy open a vegan gastronomy just near Milano Central Station?

Friendship, good cooking and a good time assured.

Pros: friendly staff, great cakes, excelent food

Dear Owner and Manager of Alhambra Gastronomia Naturale: