Serves meat, veg options available. Sources from many local producers. Menu includes vegetarian dishes; vegans to specify, ie. no cheese, etc. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Southern American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by tpdii
dickenbock
dickenbock

I hate to pile on...

2 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

It seems like a nice little place, Alfalfa's, & I spent twenty years in Austin, Texas, so I am pretty used to rude "hipster" waitstaff, but the truth is, like most other "vegetarian-" or "vegan-friendly" places in Lexington, you're relegated to one or two options on the menu, & frankly it's really not worth it. Since moving here, the wife & I have resigned ourselves to just not eating out unless it's with other people who really, really want to go out with us, & even then, we're more inclined to get ethnic food (at places that will gladly make something off-menu for a vegan) than a cafe that has two options at best. Lexington deserves a much better cafe, & one that has a far more diverse menu than Alfalfa's, & so, having been there two or three times in almost three years, I feel it's safe to say we're not really ever planning to go back.

Pros: nice location
Cons: limited choice
rmills12
rmills12

Hit or Miss

2 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2012

Sometimes good, sometimes not so good. Their service like the other reviews say is usually horrible. We do not go back very often because we never know what we will get. Dont wanna waste a chance at a good meal.

Pros: Food
Cons: Service, Service, Inconsintent
veggiefriendly
veggiefriendly

Giving up

2 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2011

I have tried Alfalfa's repeatedly and just cannot get over the terrible service. The menu has been the same forever and it's location hasn't changed in at least 10yrs. Why so slow. Waiters act like they are doing you a favor and YES they do use a microwave on some things. I will not give them anymore chances...disappointed that a place that offers decent vegetarian food cannot get the staff to get it together.

Pros: yummy food
Cons: slow, unfriendly, pricey

Mattie
Mattie

Great local vegan friendly restaurant

4 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2011

Alfalfa's is one of my favorite restaurants in Lexington. Though the menu does not have vegan labels, the servers are generally knowledgeable regarding vegan friendly options (there have been a few exceptions, but they are willing to ask the cooks). Breakfast and brunch can be difficult in terms of finding vegan options--I generally opt for the tofu burritos--but all meals have plenty of tasty vegetarian dishes. I highly recommend the Indonesian tofu pita (great peanut sauce!) and the date bar for dessert, both of which are vegan. Not only does Alfalfa's have great food, it is located conveniently in the center of downtown and has a pleasing atmosphere with frequently updated local artwork on the brick walls. Always a great choice!

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Vegan friendly options
keillorandel
keillorandel

Fantastic Brunch!

4 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2009

This place is great for veg and non veg alike! The hoppin john and grilled cheese are legendary. I also adore the blueberry pancakes and their spanish omlette is incredible. All brunches come with a veg sausage option. There is usually a wait for brunch, but it is well worth it. Service is good and food is great! There is an art gallery next door to browse in while you wait and they offer free coffee on weekend mornings for those waiting. I have never had a bad meal here and I have been eating at this place for years. They don't offer it very often, but the blueberry sour cream pie is amazing. A truly wonderful local institution! Park in the library grarage. It is close and free on weekends.

Pros: great food, local
Cons: none
francesj
francesj

Delicious!

4 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2009

On my recent visit to Lexington, my non-vegetarian Aunt took me to Alfalfa's. I was very pleased at the vegan selection. My red beans and rice were amazing!!

Missy Mandible
Missy Mandible
  • non-vegetarian

My favorite place to eat!

4 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2009

I absolutely love this place. The Hoppin' John is my favorite meal on earth. I also adore the blueberry pancakes. The atmosphere is always interesting and relaxed. Try it! You'll like it!

Pros: great food, great location, delicious!
Cons: Busy on Sundays, Not open on Monday nights, Not open on Tuesday nights
Guest
Guest

Alfalfa's: Not at the races

2 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2007

We've eaten at Alfalfa's twice and both times, found it to be over air-conditioned and over-priced. It had too few vegan options that warrant the price and the claim that Alfalfa's is "vegetarian friendly". Our requests for vegan options were met with confusion and the sense that we were inconviencing them. Veganized Hoppin John's platter, essentially just rice and beans, can be made at home for less money and less hassle.

Bohemianwife
Bohemianwife

if your vegan don't waste your time and money

1 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2007

I have given this 'vegetarian friendly' place too many chances. At first I was hoping to be impressed, the last time I visited I just wanted to eat something warm. The vegetarian options are limited and they act like vegan requests are unheard of. Service is poor, if even that. I was given one cup of coffee and my food was cold when served, but our server was at the counter fooling around with other servers. After 25 minutes I was asked if I wanted the check, NO COFFEE, NO ANYTHING ELSE... when I finally sent my food back it was put in the microwave. When ever I eat here I think I can make this at home and make it better... I also say this is the last time I come here and I am making sure I stick to that. There is better places in Lexington.

Pros: attractive decor, nice location
Cons: staff is horrible, vegan option limited, quality of food
tpdii
tpdii

adding to mixed reviews

2 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2006

The service was not good. Given, it was an extremely busy sunday brunch(11 am) due to a race in town. The server came over and took our order in a reasonable amount of time, but never checked on us before or after the food came out. I watched the staff pass around a wall clock that had stopped working and each pondered how they could fix it while the restaurant was on a 40 minute wait. The reason why I point this out is that it sums up the level of focus that is put on customer service. If you go to this place go because there you want to eat not to dine.

Pros: semi veg rest. in KY
Cons: poor serve, not many vegan options

Dear Owner and Manager of Alfalfa Restaurant: