Also known as Centrum voor Energieregie. Small vegan food restaurant attached to a health food shop. Offers breakfast, ahs raw vegan ice cream and sorbet. Gluten-free and sugar-free options. Has Wi-Fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Raw, Western, Juice bar, Fusion
Overtoom 409 (Schoolstraat corner)
Amsterdam, Netherlands 1054 JP
0203343335
Now Open

Mon-Sat 7:00am-8:00pm

First Review by the tin man
rogaux
rogaux

warning: includes enchantment

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2015

Wow. So I can get a hand chakra massage and my tarot cards laid, while having (surely enlightening) raw vegan food. I had breakfast there and, yes, the portions are small, yet as any raw food very filling. the ingredients for all plates and drinks are freshly processed so the higher prices are just reasonable.
Anyways, (like in many vegan locations in Amsterdam in general), what I as a soulless vegan atheist without the slightest inch of kharma am missing is a "No-BS-veganism-as-political-choice"-DIY attitude. tasty though.

Pros: high quality raw vegan food and drinks
Cons: higher price segment , esoteric flair
AdrianaMatsufuji
AdrianaMatsufuji

kinda expensive / small portions

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2015

i didn't like the food that much and i thought it was a little bit expensive for the quality and quantity served. they also didn't have many options on the day i was there... i was still hungry when i left. dessert was really good though.

jennyc32
jennyc32

Underwhelming

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2015

I went for breakfast whilst on holiday in Amsterdam and, despite being the only two customers, service was very slow. We ordered the breakfast plate, and both drinks arrived well in advance of the food, meaning that we struggled to make them last. The smoothie was excellent! Everything else was pretty underwhelming. They didn't have any granola, which was what we'd most been looking forward to, so instead we got fruit salad. For the price we paid, we really got very little. I'd sooner have spent the money on a pot of yoghurt and my own fruit of choice from the supermarket. The yoghurt tasted quite sour too. It was a shame because the pies at the counter looked really tempting - perhaps we were just unlucky.

Pros: Nice bright space, Friendly service
Cons: Expensive, No granola for breakfast

lucyblack74
lucyblack74

Fantastic 100% raw vegan place

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2014

This is a fantastic place - a small cafe and health food shop. The cafe is 100% raw vegan and has a good choice of food.

The day I was there, I had the green smoothie of the house which was soursop, greens, apple and lime, and also a slice of raw cacao cake. Both were delicious and so nutritious that they sufficient for my lunch that day.

They have a range of smoothies, juices, nut mylks and teas, as well as water kefir. They also sell coconuts, coconut yoghurt, seed breads, crackers, as well as various raw toppings. They also have soup, sandwiches, various salads, and raw pastas - tagliatella, lasagna, and sunflower burger.

It's a very impressive place if you enjoy raw vegan food. The shop part also sells superfoods like cacao, cacao bars, and various other treats, as well as herbs.

I loved it here, I would heartily recommend a visit.

Pros: 100% raw vegan, good range of choices, friendly staff
tatjanabanana
tatjanabanana

good

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2014

This place was a little expensive especially since the club sandwich I ordered was tiny and didn't full me up. But it was delicious none the less as well as my chocolate smoothie I got there. They have a great little set up and sell some little things inside.

Pros: all vegan, heaps of seats, good service
Cons: small serving , expensive
Kyttiara
Kyttiara

Really enjoyed the atmosphere

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2014

I went to this place with my brother and my BF.
This was maybe the most expensive breakfast I've had BUT!
I had a raw vegan homemade granola with minute-made raw cashew milk and it was good to start the day. I went there almost a year ago but I can remember the poor lady who's got the shop was sick, so I gave her some of my homeopathic medicine.
The place is so calm and relaxing... Give it a try on a lazy afternoon! She's got so many stuff in her shop, it's really nice...

Pros: raw and GF Ayurvedic foods, delicious mostly homemade food, nice lady
Cons: expensive , don't have salads/sandwich on mornings
Chnanis
Chnanis

Alchemist Garden - for some snacks in a slow day.

Posted on 09 / 07 / 2014

The food was fresh and tasted good, but the portion was quite small, so it's quite expensive when compare to the price. The chef (who might be one of the owners) is attentive to his cooking and his customers.

In my opinion, here can be a good place to have some smoothie and snacks in a slow day. Not very recommend for a full meal and if you are in hurry.

Pros: Fresh food, Friendly staff
Cons: Small portions, Quite high price
Gudrun
Gudrun

Nice place, great raw vegan crème brûlée

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2014

This is one of the few places in the Netherlands where you can get vegan raw food. I like the place and find the main courses I had so far quite OK (although they did now "wow" me like he food I had in some raw food restaurants abroad).

The one thing I truly love is their vegan "crème brûlée". It is deep-frozen so at times they can't defreeze it while you are there, but in that case it's even nice to eat half-frozen, like ice-cream. It can also happen that it is served in plastic because they did not put it on a plate while it was frozen and they can't put it on a plate after it is unfrozen. The other dishes are freshly made so it can take some time until they get served. They have nice juices and smoothies and fresh coconut milk.

The staff is friendly and helpful.

Pros: fresh raw food, friendly staff
JonJon
JonJon

Good raw food but small portions

Posted on 08 / 24 / 2014

I'm usually not really fond of raw food but I've found this one particularly tasty. We had dinner here and were not very hungry. We took the spaghetti al pesto, the lasagna and the raw plate composed of crackers, veganaise, avocado, beetroot, sprouts and green salad. I like every dish, tasty and well balanced. However, portions are very small. If we were really hungry, it would have not been sufficient. As a dessert, we took their two cakes: one chocolate and one avocado-lime. Both were really amazing!

We also ordered two smoothies. The one of the day was good but the other one (orange and mango) was a little basic and mostly tasted the orange. Generally, we found the choices of smoothies a bit limited on the menu.

About the place: staff was really friendly and let us finish our game even if they were theoretically closed, decoration is very nice. You feel good here!

Pros: excellent raw food, friendly staff, nice vibe and place, opening hours, games available
Cons: small portions, a little pricey, some basic smoothies
Amy1274
Amy1274

Great for a vegan breakfast

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2014

I think that this is the only vegan place open so early in Amsterdam - breakfast is available from 7, and I highly recommend it for the quality. Everything is prepared fresh, so there can be a bit of a wait, but in my opinion it is worth it. As well as all-day breakfasts, smoothies, cakes, salads and main meals are also served, with everything being completely vegan and organic, and many options raw. Staff are friendly and the shop at the same location has a good selection too.

Pros: vegan selection, opening hours, friendly staff
Guest
Guest

Pros and cons

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2014

Portions were less than half the size of what I expected for the price.

The smoothy that I ordered was great, and was made very quickly, but once again, it could have been bigger. I'm 6'4 and 205lbs, and did not really feel fed for what I paid.

Pros: Healthy, Great smoothies
Cons: Small portions, Overpriced, Ecclectic recipes (unless you like that)
minrathous
minrathous

Nice raw food restaurant

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2014

I went here twice while in Amsterdam and was quite pleased with it. I tried the club sandwich and sunflower burger. The food had a nice presentation, it was tasty, with very fresh, crisp veggies, and the raw "breads" didn't have an odd texture/taste as some do. There was one man running the place and he was very friendly/courteous, and the wait for the food was not at all long. Also, the restaurant was a pleasant, relaxing space with a lot of natural light and plants on every table. I'll be back next time I'm in Amsterdam!

Pros: friendly staff, good raw food, nice vibe
DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

Good raw food

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2014

Lovely place near the vondelpark. The staff was very friendly and the food was really good. They also have some products to take.
Not the best raw food ever, but worth a visit.

Kimxula
Kimxula

Great find :-)

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2014

Went here last summer as it was near the hostel I was staying at. It was actually my first raw vegan experience and it was great! I had a smoothie, raw vegan 'burger' and cacao, date, nut energy ball...all fresh, wholesome and fantastic. I liked the atmosphere of the place...there was a cute cat there and the staff were friendly :-)

Pros: Easy to get to by tram, Delicious raw food, Wholesome, good stuff
Cons: A little pricey, but then you get what, you pay for
MitziTant
MitziTant

Delicious!

Posted on 05 / 12 / 2014

I'd go there again in an instant!
We had their smoothie of the day (Cocoa with orange! Mhhhh...), the club sandwich, sunflower burger, side dish plate and 2 pies. Everything was delicious and service was quick, very friendly and helpful.
We were very full after a lunch like that, which isn't always the case with raw food.
The location is a bit off center but very easy to reach by tram.
Cool idea: They had a masseuse present in case anybody needed a quick massage! ;)
Only downside: A small glass of water cost 1€! I think it was somehow 'energized' but I think that's sort of unnecessary.

Pros: Very tasty and fresh, Friendly, helpful staff, Reasonable prices for raw food
Cons: Expensive water
HappyCouple
HappyCouple

Good smoothies, but limited options

Posted on 04 / 12 / 2014

After walking almost all morning, my boyfriend and I were really looking forward to drink a nice, healthy smoothie and eating soms snacks. The place looked cosy, clean and very 'natural', the guy who worked there was friendly. Unfortunately, we had limited options when choosing the ingredients for our smoothies, because most of it seemed to be out. There was also a weird and expensive system for charging the ingredients and the fruit bars we asked for, weren't made yet. We saw some other people ordening food and it looked fine, but the portions looked small and not worth the money. We would not recommend to go here when you're hungry, but it's OK to have some healthy snacks and drinks.
Updated from previous review on Saturday April 12, 2014

Pros: Healthy, Fine, clean place
Cons: Expensive, Food was out
Vegandelux
Vegandelux

Vegan and raw

Posted on 04 / 08 / 2014

Very nice location with excellent raw vegan food and very tasty wine. The staff was very nice and friendly. Recommendable.

Fer
Fer

Vegan in the channels

Posted on 03 / 02 / 2014

If you ride far from the touristic centre, you can find this medium-size vegan restaurant. Served by two friendly women, you can taste a lot of excellent raw-vegan food.

Pros: Fully vegan
Cons: Far for tourists
jcantieri
jcantieri
  • fruitarian

lovely Sunday

Posted on 02 / 23 / 2014

came here after walking around the city alll day and it was such a nice treat. good service, good food, had a nice raw lasagna and a blueberry tart. yum. nice atmosphere !

Janvdw
Janvdw

Needs improvement on every aspect

Posted on 02 / 15 / 2014

I would NOT recommend to go there.
Food is tasteless.
Staff is badly organized, extremely long time to wait
And doesnt know quite how to handle with dissatisfied clients (not us)
Lack of hygiëne.
Very expensive plates (17,50) regarding the quality of the food.
'Fresh' mint tea? Ehm...
Why do I write this review? To give this place a chance to improve and to express my atonishment that in a place like Amsterdam, one cannot find a VEGAN/RAW restaurant with higher/standards

Cons: Food quality, Staff, Pricing
  • BrusselSprout BrusselSprout

Unfortunately just had a very similar experience

• alec63 alec63

Dear guest,

Thanks for taking the effort to give us feedback on our food, service and organization. I'm very sorry to find out it has been such a drag for you in despite of all my efforts to offer exactly the opposite of your description.

In july 2013 we finally had the chance to drastically improve our logistics. It was only in May 2014 that we were able to improve the organization. Since then we are open from 7AM. For breakfast and to prepare our offerings for instant serving. With great relieve I can now confirm we have altered the waiting time -as well as our staff from that period- to normal standards.

Again I apologize for the inconvenience and I wish you enjoy your next visit to us.

Alec Boswijk
    owner
    Alchemist Garden

• alec63 alec63

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback.
    Please find my response above to which I like to add the following.

It was only after May 2014 that I started to receive a consequent stream of complaints about our service and food from the period before that. Fortunately we have been able to make drastic changes to all of the topics mentioned above.

Again I apologize for the inconvenience and such late response to your feedback. It's been a great struggle -especially until April 2013- but I'm glad we've gone trough this phase.

I wish you will give us another chance and enjoy your next visit.

Alec Boswijk
    owner
    Alchemist Garden

Carin69
Carin69

Great raw vegan food!

Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

This august I went for the first time to this nice small raw vegan restaurant. Because it was warm I sat outside next to their small city garden on the wall. I got the burger plate with spirulina greens, salad and crackers. Love the different combination of products. They staff was friendly and correct.
Yesterday I visit this place with my husband and had a great diner too. The staff was very friendly.
When we looked at Happy Cow we were shocked about a view reviews about the food because it so tasty. But more about the review with the cat. It is a kitten from 5 months. Very friendly and loves to be at the restaurant. Some people think it is strange but special in Amsterdam there are many problems with mousses and that is why the authority let cats be in restaurants. The cats keeps mousses away! And besides off that I don't feel bad about a cat in the restaurant because the cat is not at the food part and love to share my lap with the cat. I enclosed the picture with the cat so everybody can see "ginger" is not ill but small because it is so young. Enough about cats, go en enjoy the food at Alchemist Garden!

Pros: Good tasty raw food, lovely ginger cat
Cons: none
misspurpleann
misspurpleann

Raw food in Amsterdam

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2013

A very small restaurant with delicious and beautifully designed raw food.

The waiting time (the one time I was there) was ridiculous, 1.5 hours... we were a party of 5 and had booked our table.

Pros: Freshness, Overall quality of the food, Juices
Cons: Opening hours, Waiting time, Responsiveness of staff
eveliene99
eveliene99

Unfriendly Staff

Posted on 08 / 02 / 2013

I visited alchemist garden on a very hot summers day in the schoolholidays. When I went in me and my friend were first ignored for about 5 minutes. When they finally started talking to us and I asked them what kind of icecreams they sold they told me; "well, we don't sell Icecream or softserve or anything like that. I don't know what icecreams we do sell."
Later another guy came up to me that they sold a frozen smoothie type icecream, bit that didn't sound particularly appealing to me.
The guys behind the register were slow, Unfriendly and uninterested. If you want to make a business like this work you have to take better care of your customers and show the passion you have for what you're doing. Doomed to fail with their attitude.

Pros: Tasty Cakes
Cons: Slow, Expensive, Limited Menu
Anx88
Anx88

Very disappointed!

Posted on 08 / 01 / 2013

We went to the "Alchemist Garden" very hungry and was looking forward to some nice vegan raw-food.
Two very slow and uninterested guys "worked" behind the desk and informed us that they didn´t have ANYTHING on the menu! They had been open for about 1 1/2 hour but no food to eat only ONE smoothie of the day was available.
First we decided to leave but we where soo hungry and we had travelled a long way to get there. So we ordered the smoothie. After 40 minutes (!!!) the smoothie arrived! The guy how made them did everything BUT making sure we where satisfied as customers.
During our long wait for two smoothies we found a small kitten under our table. The poor cat was skinny, had a running nose, black stuff in his ears and he was covered in fleas! It was their cat but they didn´t seem to care about his health at all. I told them that he needed direct care for the fleas but one of the guys just said " I know about the fleas and that it´s severe..." They just let the small boy suffer...
The smoothie tasted like mud and costed about 4 Euro.
This must have been the worse food-place I have ever visit unfortunately.
Nothing good to write about it. And the fact that they didn´t take any care of this helpless, un-healthy little kitten just makes me sick and pissed of!
Do NOT visit "The Alchemist Garden"! If you would like to save a poor cats life, then visit and adopt him, but that´s it!

Cons: No food on the menu, SLOW "service", Animal neglect
Bianca24
Bianca24

Rawlicious

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2013

Nice little restaurant with friendly stuff.
This small restaurant serves only Raw food and there is also a little shop where you can buy some superfoods.
We ordered the Rawfood plate with a raw club sandwich and the food was amazing, fresh and healthy. For dessert we ordered a raw "creme brulée" made from coconut... Wow this was really amazing!
If you are in Amsterdam and you want a good vegan rawfood meal, there is the place to go, but don't go there if you are in a hurry because they take their time to prepare your meal. Bring a little time with you and you would not be disappointed.

Pros: fresh, friendly, vegan
joss
joss

Lovely stuff

Posted on 03 / 21 / 2013

Really enjoyed Alchemist Garden. Great atmosphere and the raw food plate was fantastic. Didn't think it'd be enough food, but coupled with a slice of raw mango pie after, it filled me up just fine and the selection of flavours was fantastic. Left feeling inspired about going fulltime raw vegan :o)

Had the raw vegan hamburger as choice of main dish with the raw selection plate, definitely a winner.

Overheard the (I assume) owner having a really interesting, indepth convo with a customer about raw food and raw lifestyle, fascinating stuff and you could really hear the passion.

Pros: Great selection, Few choices (= easier to decide!), Attention to detail
Cons: Service a little slow (but worth wait), Wifi wasn't working
Purple Carrot
Purple Carrot

Food at its best

Posted on 02 / 03 / 2013

I had wanted to try the food here for a while, and when I finally did, I was not disappointed.

I had a raw food plate that included a variety of different dishes and a chocolate pie for dessert. The main course took a long time to prepare, but was worth the wait. The presentation was flawless (did the chef actually weave the courgette shreds together?) and the flavours were nothing short of fabulous.

My table companion was at first unimpressed and refused to taste (because she could see what it tasted like - oh how wrong she was, but how could I possibly object? I could keep it all to myself) and couldn't wait to get her hands on a coffee at a coffee bar. But she was at last won over, swooning over her raw cheesecake.

I am not vegan or even vegetarian, but I find that our dependence on meat, dairy and grains have left us unimaginative in the kitchen. Raw food cooking has opened up a completely new and exciting set of flavours and textures that is otherwise rare. This place lovingly prepares food that can only be described as haute cuisine, and deserves a large following. If you're in a hurry, pre-order. I will certainly go again.

Pros: Beautifully presented, Heavenly flavours, Lots of seating
Cons: Location, Opening hours, Time to prepare the orders
papillonpourmoi
papillonpourmoi
  • raw

nice raw restaurant

Posted on 11 / 17 / 2012

our first raw meal 5 stars. if you want to try it highly recommended.
for main course meals make sure you have time to wait for the preparation, 30-40 minutes. meals are worth the wait, excellent quality for around €15 per plate.
very friendly & helpful service, if unsure what to try then ask him to recommend something very tasty.

Pros: great quality food, healthy
Cons: need about 2 hours free to go
the tin man
the tin man

Try something different

Posted on 06 / 21 / 2012

My wife and I aren't vegans but vegetarians. One of the reasons for choosing Centrum voor Energieregie was the gluten free options offered. The food is entirely raw, which neither of us had realised when choosing the venue. However, if you eat salads what's the problem? The food was freshly prepared, beautifully presented, unusual and delicious! I had a starter of soup (cold of course, and if remembered correctly, Vietnamese). Again delicious but lip tinglingly spicy! We were the only diners (evening near closing time) and there was an understandably long wait for our main course. Very much worth the wait though. Not quite central location but easily reached from the city.

Pros: Welcoming, friendly staff, First class food

Dear Owner and Manager of Alchemist Garden: