Al Natural

Serves meat, veg options available. Originally 100% veg but added meat in addition to the vegetarian menu. Extensive ovo-lacto-vegetarian starters and main courses; limited vegan choices. Small and popular, with bar at front and seating area at back. Non-smoking areas. Reservations suggested. Near metro Banco de Espana and Parliament Building in central Madrid. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Spanish, Non-veg
C/ Zorrilla, 11
Madrid, Spain 28014

Open Mon-Sat 13:00-16:00, Sun 13:00-16:00.

First Review by Parasol
phillygirl79
phillygirl79

Perfect NYE, thanks to this place!

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2014

My boyfriend and I were a little underwhelmed by Madrid and feeling a little apprehensive about the NYE celebrations after hearing from some locals how out of hand things got. Also, as a vegan, I was starting to become frustrated with having so little choice in the city. We were beginning to wonder whether we'd made a mistake. Then, on a whim, I made a booking at Al Natural. It was the best decision I made. There was a pre-set menu for 60 euros per person that included five courses and wine/beer. Every course was excellent, and we found ourselves wishing we'd found the place earlier in our vacation. The portions were great, the service was extremely friendly, and they even gave us champagne to drink before we left and twelve grapes to take with us to Puerta del Sol (a NYE tradition in Madrid) as we went. The atmosphere was also great - music at the perfect volume and bags full of silly NYE wigs and toys to put us all in the spirit. This really made our New Year's Eve a treat!

Pros: The food!, The service!, The ambience!
Tashaleiahh
Tashaleiahh

Pretty good!

3 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2013

Had the seitan and mushroom dish. Was pretty good, although the seitan was a bit heavier than the stuff I'm used to back home. Was a little freaked out when the server brought out an appetizer and I asked if it was vegan, he said yes, only to come back 10 seconds later when I already had a bite in my mouth to say it had eggs! So vegans, don't eat the appetizer, and maybe ask twice about everything just to be safe. Overall good experience and good food though.

youfoundcandy
youfoundcandy

Delish, don't hesitate!

4 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2013

I came here for dinner with my husband one night while visiting the city and we were thrilled! We're vegan and the menu is incredibly accommodating! Have you tried saying "veganos" to anyone in Spain? Yep. You'll have to list "no egg, cheese, milk, cream, etc" b/c saying "no dairy" gets you absolutely nowhere. In fact, saying your vegan is worthless. No one knows what it is.

At Al Natural, we could rest easy that our food wasn't sauteed in fish sauce or battered in egg yolks. Our server was incredible and so was the food. We had no complaints but I must say - the dessert wasn't worth it. A bottle of wine was a cool €11 so that was a nice perk! We wanted to try as many foods as we could while in Madrid but if we were in the area longer than 4 days, we would've absolutely come back.

Fer
Fer

Why meat in a vegetarian?

3 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2013

This is a elegant vegetarian restaurant with a large menu with most of them vegan, but the surprise is an outdoor banner with a 12 euros daily menu with chicken optional! It is necessary? A pity!

Pros: Quite ambience, Vegan options, Good food and quantity
Cons: Serves chicken!
Kirsh
Kirsh

Al Natural Restaurant, Madrid

3 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2012

All the food on the main menu was vegetarian, but they had a lunch menu at 12 euros per person, which had four vegetarian main courses and one chicken, which spoilt it. It was a reasonable sized restaurant and the vegetarian food was very good. There was an English menu and English was spoken by some of the staff.

Pros: Good Food, Moderate price, Cheap lunch menu
Cons: Chicken served
Mu
Mu

vegan friendly

4 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2012

I usually avoid 'vegetarian friendly' places but this one was definitely a good choice! the place is cosy and the staff very friendly and understanding. There were no vegan mains on the daily menu so they prepared me a delicious dish with several delicious stuffs :-)

Pros: nice staff, tasty food, vegan friendly
Cons: meat on the menu... WHY????
estefinparis
estefinparis

Vegetarian friendly, but not fully vegetarian

3 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2012

Al Natural is great for their set lunch menu, which may or may not include vegan items but they will readily modify the dishes to make them vegan, wherever possible. The menu does however include one non-vegetarian option, making the restaurant no longer fully vegetarian.

Superb Vegetarian Restaurant

4 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2011

We found Al Natural some years ago on the recommendation of a British resident of Madrid. Since discovering it, we have never had lunch anywhere else when we visit the city. The food is consistently excellent, there is a range of good affordable wine and the service is professional, attentive and friendly. Having been prompted by Happy Cow to remember to do reviews and visiting Madrid again last week, we just had to add one for our favourite vegetarian restaurant. We had never looked at Al Natural on Happy Cow before (why would I when we know it is superb?) but having read them when we logged in to leave this review we really are at a loss to understand where some reviewers are coming from. All we can advise other visitors to do is take some extreme negative reviews with (or without) the pinch of salt they suggested the food might need (it doesn't) and question if one reviewer really did try to eat the bread basket! We recommend the Caprese salad (we share one as a starter) and Zucchini Tart. We have tried to recreate it at home and never been successful. It's much better to enjoy it at Al Natural. The house wine is perfectly acceptable but, if you can afford it, order the Ribera del Duero organic wine.

matt goldman
matt goldman

touchdown

4 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2011

finally a lovely night out. Al Natural was very cosy and charming. the music was hypnotic and airy. my wife and i loved the food. our waiters name was Odin who helped us out with the menu and made the whole experience wonderful. we ordered "pastel al natural" which is an eggplant and squash kisch with a delightful pistacchio sauce, to die for. spinach and pear croquetas were excellent. we will come here again and heard that Adrian Brody ate here everyday while filming a movie. truly a genuine night and it made us forget about the disastrous previous night. excellent service. a definite thumbs up experience .

Pros: food, ambiance, service
Helen Brandom
Helen Brandom

Lunch menu set 12 euros

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2011

They have a great daily menu for 12 euros and thats included first course,main course,dessert and one drink.Good atmosphere and near to the El Prado museum.Friendly speak english staff.

AliceMcGregor
AliceMcGregor

Good vegetarian meal

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2011

I am a fan of a good vegetarian meal, and I can recommend this nice and cozy corner of Madrid as the best vegetarian in the capital. Treatment unbeatable, good food and luxury desserts. Essential

AudreyHarry
AudreyHarry

A Sign from Seitan

2 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2011

On our way to a different veg restaurant, we took their flyer as a sign.. the nice guy handing them out smooth talked us to the restaurant.
My high hopes sizzled from slow service and very hard, dry bread (which we found out later cost us 70 cents each though all we did was crack it in half to attempt a bite).
This place has a great atmosphere and pumpkin-y decor. Everyone was friendly and their staff was English-speaker friendly.
We ordered the vegetarian paella, croquettes, and carrot juice. Their juicer may have been broken because the juice was more like a chunky puree, which can be good depending on your tastes.
The saddest part of the meal was the uninspired salad in a pile next to the paella- shredded iceberg, corn, and carrot shreds. I thought it was hilarious how the same mixture was also sprinkled like confetti underneath the croquettes (which were delicious, the highlight!) The paella was ok but not good enough to spend around 10 Euros on. ("No estoy seguro si se llama esta una paella." -Native Spaniard)

So, fun to try this place out but would wait a while before returning.

Pros: Menu Options, Atmosphere, Location
Cons: Overpriced, Meat on menu, Sad-looking food
  • odinacero odinacero

Hello AudreyHarry, Im the al natural restaurant owner and Im realy sorry that you was not happy and not enjoy our vegetables paella the wich one you dont like.Im loocking now who was working in our kitchen that night to now were was the problem.Please, can you tell me when you was in our restaurant?
    Any way we invited to you to come back to Al Natural and have a usualy paella wich one is very popular in our menu from 17 years a go.Im realy sorry again and I hope that you give us another chance.

juan martin
juan martin

Buen precio

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2011

Comimos muy bien por 12 euros un menu a mediodia.Tenian 5 primeros y 5 segundos a elejir.El gazpacho estaba delicioso y la tarta de calabaza de rechupete.De postre me comi un pastel de natillas que no sabia ni que existia.El servicio tambien bueno y el local muy bonito.

kristen gracia
kristen gracia

99% vegetarian

4 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2010

This restaurant is the best vegetarian in madrid.I was in four of the moust popular and al natural was simple the best.Not only the food, the place,his candels,music, location.Is nearly to the El Prado museum.

karenmar
karenmar

good find in a difficult country for vegetarians

4 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2009

We ate here two weeks ago while travelling around Spain and it was a real saviour for me as I had so much trouble finding decent vegetarian food.

The food was good solid food, reasonable sized servings and tasty. My non-veg husband really enjoyed it too. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and the staff were attentive. We did not have to wait long for our meals. Food consists of different types of pies/bakes, croquettes etc.

Would definitely return if I was in Madrid again.

Pros: good value, good sized portions, good food
MrOnkTheSeal
MrOnkTheSeal

Fine but not exceptional.

3 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2009

Nice premises and staff. Nothing basically wrong with the food - good quality, but more "whole earth" style than expected and a little plain. Quite expensive, but that is probably down to the locale.

Pros: Veg. Rest. in Spain!, Hot staff
Cons: Expensive, Unexciting menu
rodrigo martin
rodrigo martin

excellent little spot

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2008

Al Natural became a home for me in my three month trip through Spain. It is incredible how many famous people i saw there in the 10 or so trips i made to this little restaurant. Adrian Brody I must have seen three times. They told me he was filming a movie and ate there every day. Players from Real Madrid soccer team and musicians like Ismael Lo and Youssou N'Dour from Africa, as well as the guy from . It made the experience that much more memorable. The food was excellent, the muic hypnotic with buddha bar ambiant music, and finally the guys that run the restaurant incredibly well travelled. Their friends are some of the best house music dj's in the city and got me in to the better night clubs. I have since sent friends and clients to Al Natural from New York and Toronto and all have given me a huge "thank you" I just wanted to communicate this to you vegetarians out there and "meat heads" as well.

Pros: food , music, affordable
jaleal
jaleal

simply the best

4 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2008

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, incredible desserts
Santiago
Santiago

• non-vegetarian

a good in a great place

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2008

Hi, I'm a gallicia student that came to see the museums in Madrid and there I found a best restaurant. This place is "Al Natural" and there I could enjoyed a good and not usually vegetarian food. The restaurant is a confortable place with good music (usually the music is chill out but other day is smooth jazz, ethnic...) and the waitress are friendly, attentive and speak english and I listened one speaking in other language but I didn't made out what. Other advantage of this place is the natural juices and the desserts (I like the tiramisu) and the varieties of tea.
The restaurant is near to the Museum of Prado, The Thyssen Bornemisza (in the same street) and near to the "puerta del Sol" (city center).

Pros: excellent food, variety , near to museums
Guest

Excellent... A must if your in Madrid!!!

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2008

Iv been vegetarian/vegan most of my life. I found it so difficult to find places that would accommodate my needs while staying in Spain. This restaurant saved me. The food is delicious. Everything is prepared in their kitchen fresh including the seitan, juices, and desserts. Its focus is ovo-lacto vegetarians, but most dishes can be prepared vegan if you ask. Never did I come across a kitchen staff in Spain so willing to meet the demands of the client. They even have raw soup, lots of avocados and some lush leafy greens for the raw people!
Its small and family owned which creates a very nice intimate atmosphere. The staff is all very friendly and seem to truly enjoy being there. If you vegetarian and in Madrid, don't pass through without stopping by.

Pros: Non Smoking, Good prices, Excellent food
Caryne
Caryne

Ok for vegetarians, not a lot for vegans

2 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2008

I emailed this place prior to vising and asked if they catered for vegans, I was told 'Yes'. However, when we visited the only thing that was vegan was a vegetable paella (and you do get a bit bored of those in Spain!!). Other dishes, I was told, could be adapted by removing the sauce (ALL sauces contained cream) but then they would have been rather dry.
The paella was fine and the salad starter was nice but nothing to get excited about. My partner, who ordered vegetarian, said it was 'nice' but they did not bring him the dish he ordered! No desserts for vegans.
The decor was nice though and the staff friendly enough.

Pros: Centrally located, Friendly staff, Good for vegetarians
Cons: Not much for vegans
Greysocialist
Greysocialist

A good atmosphere

4 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2008

A real Madrid feel to this one. The waiter was a little on the sleepy side the night we went, but the food and a nice sparkling wine more than made up for that. We were greeted with very tasty appetisers - a nice tradition we found in most of the Madrid restaurants. As in all the restaurants we tried in Madrid the hardest part was choosing from the extensive menu. Not all the English translations were perfect (they never are!) and it's worth asking to see both menus to work out some of the stranger items.

Pros: atmosphere, location, substantial portions
Cons: slow service
swade
swade

Excellent little restaurant

4 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2007

Went here for a fairly leisurely lunch in April 07 (really well situated for museums). Food was very good quality and I thought well priced. Crowd was mixed age range and nationalities and they had menus in both spanish and english. Looked to be popular but not so busy you'd be in danger of not getting a table. Staff (and owner) very friendly. I had a tasty mixed vegetable dish with tofu and seitan in a corn wrap to start and followed by a pretty good veggie paella. My lunch companion had a simple spinach and garlic started which he enjoyed and also the paella. Would give a 5 star review except the system only allows 5 stars for 100% veggie restaurant now and as another reviewer points out they have a few non-veggie dishes at the back but make explicit that this is cooked entirely separately to the veggie meals. I have to say though that I see this as a plus. It's OK hunting out veggie restaurants when I'm travelling with other vegetarians but sometimes you're with meat eaters who don't want to have veggie food the whole time. Having a decent vegetarian place that also has a few token meat dishes is the ideal situation and it seems a shame not to be able to give it a full 5 stars when the dishes themselves warrant it.

Pros: Great food, Near to museums, Cheerful staff
Cons: Slightly out of the way
MBermingham
MBermingham

• non-vegetarian

Good food, freshly prepared

4 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2006

I have just come back from a trip to Madrid with my girlfriend who is vegan. We went to this restaurant for a hearty, long lunch after a morning of tramping round museums. I thought the restaurant itself was nice and intimate, the service was prompt and polite, they spoke English and were very happy to help us work out what was and was not vegan. The food itself was fresh and tasty with ample proportions, the bill was reasonable. I really enjoyed eating in this restaurant and would definitely go again if I am ever in Madrid.

Pros: Nice place, Tasty, fresh food
Parasol
Parasol

Tasty!

4 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2006

Not 100% Veg but it's nice that they make a point to mention that the meat dishes are cooked in a separate part of the kitchen.

This place was nice and serene with typical Spanish decor (dark woods, red brick, stucco). Very nice exhibit of Buddhist art when we were there (Sept 06).

Substantial portions and a large selection of food. English menu available. Fast service and popular with locals. Could expand dessert menu. A little expensive but good quality. Would visit again.

Pros: Great Food, Large Portions, Cozy Atmosphere
Cons: Relatively expensive

Dear Owner and Manager of Al Natural: