Al Hamraa Restaurant

Serves meat, veg options available. Several vegan dishes. Morrish tapas. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Morrocan, Mediterranean, Moorish, Non-veg

First Review by veggiefox
veggiefox
veggiefox

Hidden gem

4 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2013

This place is hard to find. First of all, Charlottesville has multiple 2nd streets; make sure you go to 2nd Street SE. Even with the correct address and a GPS navigator, my partner and I had difficulty finding it because it's tucked away, hidden from view, in an area where you wouldn't expect to find a restaurant.

But it was worth the hunt.

The food is delicious! I highly recommend their Portobello, shitake, and oyster mushrooms on bread. (Items on their menu with an asterix are vegan.)

The waitress was charming and also taught us a few things about Moroccon culture. The atmosphere is both relaxing and interesting. And their prices are reasonable.

On the night we went there, there were no other customers. I imagine the hard-to-find location keeps the place quiet most nights. If everyone knew the quality of food and service in this hidden spot, I think it would be packed.

Pros: delicious food, good service, enjoyable atmostphere
Cons: hard to find

Dear Owner and Manager of Al Hamraa Restaurant: