Vegetarian restaurant serving lentil dishes and soups as well as tofu, vegetable dishes, rice, and others. Most items are less than 1 lat except for large soups which are 1.10. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Indian, Latvian, Take-out
5 Gertrudes St
Riga, Latvia
Closed now

Mon-Fri 11:00am-6:30pm

First Review by veggieriga
Zimthimbeere
Zimthimbeere

Unfriendly staff which couldn't speak English

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2014

At first the location seemed quite nice. I was queuing there and after a while I could speak to the staff. But the woman didn't speak English, she didn't make any effort to understand what I was talking although I said words like "allergic", "no milk", ... I was pointing to some things which looked as they could be vegan and asked, but the woman already put it on the plate without waiting. Moreover it didn't seem sooooo cheap: More than 3 € for just a little, little bit of vegetables (which doesn't make you full). Moreover the vegetables were quite cold.

I will never go there again, such unfriendly staff who doesn't even try to understand me. Probably they have enough customers, so they don't care for new ones.

I'd like to give only one cow, but that's not possible.

Cons: Unfriendly staff, Staff can't speak English, Meal was quite cold
Gudrun
Gudrun

Nice, inexpensive, good

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

"Ajurveda Kafejnica" is located on the upper floor of a traditional, two-storey wooden house. It is quite spacious and nicely decorated in an oriental / Indian style, with a big Buddha statue in the main room.

The kitchen is mainly Indian, with some local influence. The food - to be selected from the bar- is inexpensive and good, with vegan options. I had a yummy vegan curry with fresh vegetables and served with (I think) buckwheat, and a freshly made carrot juice. The vegan dessert of that day was already gone, so I had to skip the dessert. Since the main course was quite filling, I did not regret this too much.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. I really liked the place!

Pros: good food, friendly staff, inexpensive
Cons: could use some more vegan options
veggieriga
veggieriga

Good vegetarian restaurant

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

This is a good vegetarian choice. The food is cafeteria style such as in Rama where the food has been cooked ahead of time and is kept hot in containers. There are several vegan choices such as the lentils, tofu, vegetable dishes, etc. The environment is nice and it is fairly big inside. Across the hallway is a small store selling Tibetan items and the restaurant itself is usually burning incense. Depending on who is working there, there may or may not be a fluent English speaker but it is not a problem as usually at least one of the customers knows English and will help. The containers of food are right in front of you, behind a glass partition and they will remove the covers so you can see what the food is before buying it.
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 13, 2013

Pros: many tables, good food, inexpensive

Dear Owner and Manager of Ajurveda Kafejnica: