Ain Soph.Journey

Second location of Ain Soph restaurant, this one is in the Shinjuku-ku district. Provides original cuisine such as salad with in-house-made dressing, tortilla and soup, savory course meals, and seasonal desserts. Party space is available for rental. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Western, International, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Take-out
3-8-9, Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan 160-0022
03-5925-8908

Open Mon-Sat 11:30am-11pm, Sun 11:30am-10pm.

• Reservations required
  • Wheelchair accessible

First Review by BlisterBlue
shanery
shanery

Vegtastic! (I need to enter some title :))

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2014

I really liked this place. It's actually on the main road, rather than a side street. Inside is elegant and the menu was very interesting. Next time I'm in Tokyo, I'm sure I'll be back.

Pros: menu, location, good food
Meghanelysem
Meghanelysem

Fresh and flavorsome vegan!

4 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2014

Super easy to find, however the directions in this app take you about a block in the wrong direction. We used the Trip Advisor app as well and that was the correct location and directions. A lovely looking building on the main street, well signed and right out front of exit C5 for Shinjuku-sanchome Station.

The staff were lovely and though their English was basic, it was very easy to order and communicate.

We ordered the salad wraps, which were very fresh and crispy; the dry curry, which had a lovely Indian flavour; the deep fried soy meat which was SO yummy; and the dessert plate to share which had a vegan sorbet; rich moist brownie, waffles with a maple syrup cream and fresh berries. We finished with a chai and strawberry tea.

A little bit more expensive than what we have been paying elsewhere, but having said that it was approx ¥6,800 between two which included an entree, filling main meal, dessert and a hot drink each.

Highly recommended.

poopixie
poopixie

Great food, nice atmosphere, AMAZING pancakes!

4 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2014

We ate here once and had a great experience. Obviosuly extemely popular as after we got in, loads of people turned up so there was a queue. As with most places in Tokyo, there are lunch sets to choose from, in a helpful menu with photos (rather than english)and we both picked the vegan pancakes, which were amazing, rich and fluffy, and beautifully presented with date ice cream and fresh fruit. This followed a delicious fresh salad and tasty tomato soup.The staff were pleasant and understood our basic (bad) japanese and pointing style of communication. We felt price was slightly higher than in the other vegan places we ate at during our 2.5 week stay in Tokyo, but portions were average and I'd happily have eaten here again as the quality was so high.

Pros: atmosphere, food quality
Cons: bit more expensive than others
claireberry beret
claireberry beret

Favourite vegan food in Tokyo

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2014

We arrived early and got an awesome seat and service!! The food was absolutely fantastic!!! Great location and delicious food! The price (about $20AUD a meal) is worth it and we certainly are going back! Such a great set up it's a really relaxing atmosphere!!

Pros: Location , Quality
al30sh
al30sh

Sweet spot with great food

5 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2014

A very small restaurant but charming, Ain Soph had a lovely set menu and course menus which were a little more expensive but really wonderful. We ate the Heavenly Pancakes which we so fluffy and rich it was almost impossible to imagine how they made them vegan. The vegetable soup was delicious and rich, and while the chai was expensive, it was some of the best chai I've ever tasted. We brought our small son who was cranky and annoying the entire time, and the servers wouldn't have been more lovely and kind with him. Little english was spoken but the menu has pictures. It is on the expensive side, but the food I definitely recommend.

Pros: Chai, Food, Service is very friendly
Cons: A bit expensive, Small/cafe like ambiance

tobymcmahon
tobymcmahon

Great Moc Meat/dairy Western Fusion

5 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2014

Ain soph journey has a great trendy feel to it. Everyone eating there was stylish and beautiful which matched the food. This western, vegan style food was on par with any others from around the world. The staff were exceedingly nice and willing to deal with my lack of japanese.

The meals were on the moderate price sale (high when compared to traditional japanese fare) but the quality matched the price. I cant wait to try the other ain soph!

Pros: Location, Taste
umebossy
umebossy

Disappointing

2 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2014

I have eaten Ain Soph's food at outside events before and had long wanted to visit one of the restaurants. As we were in the neighbourhood of the "Journey" branch today we decided to pop in for a late lunch. We had to wait a little while to be seated but once we were we decided on one of the lunch plates and the more expensive lunch course to share between two and our young daughter.

We ordered and waited...after perhaps 15 minutes our "vegetable parfait"s arrived - salad leaves and raw vegetables in a glass with dip and dressing. Cleverly arranged and visually appealing, and the dressing was delicious.

It was after this that we really became fed up with the slowness of the service - it took over 30 minutes for our next dishes to arrive. We could see that the restaurant was busy and the waitress was very rushed but felt like we had just been left - we even wondered if they had forgotten to make our main meals...

When they eventually arrived the waitress was apologetic but forgot to bring the extra plate that we requested for our daughter to eat from. The food, hayashi rice and tortilla with dips and fried soy meat was pleasant but nothing to write home about - by this point we were just so hungry we didn't care what we were eating! There was again a long wait for the soup and rice that came with the lunch course. The tomato soup and topping on the rice were delicious - best part of the meal. We requested they bring the set dessert out right away to placate our daughter and she enjoyed the ice cream, fruit and cake.

When we paid the bill the same waitress was again apologetic but no effort was made to explain why we had to wait so long (people arriving after us received their meals much more quickly despite the restaurant still being at capacity).

The food was pleasant enough but I didn't feel it was worth the 4600 yen that we paid and coupled with the excessive wait I wouldn't go back or recommend it to my friends. Perhaps if it were quiet or you were in the mood for a leisurely meal it would be fine though! Overall I was disappointed by the experience as I had been looking forward to going for such a long time.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Vegetarian/vegan food in convenient location, Visually appealing food
Cons: Slow service, Expensive
Akitakomachi
Akitakomachi

2800yen Lunch

3 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2014

You can choice two set menu in lunch time. And they have other menu. I choose one set menu which is Tolutiya set. For me, this is little salty. In the restraint, there are a lot of Japanese girls. Taste is good. They have a 5000yen of party menu. I'm going to come to dinner here with my friend.

Pros: Healthy foods
itzjac
itzjac

Okay

3 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2014

I had read great things about AinSoph - We wanted to go to the Ginza one as I knew it was the main one, however we were in this area so went to Journey instead. When we arrived we stood around. I asked one of the staff if they had a table and they took us downstairs. Service was a little slow. The food was okay, and the restaurant was well presented, however the biggest put off was the smell which made it very difficult for us to enjoy our food. We weren't sure if other people in the restaurant could smell it - as maybe Japanese people being so polite just wouldn't say anything? It didn't seem to smell on the higher level, just downstairs level - my boyfriend explained this would be a plumbing problem, and something that could be easily fixed.

lixxylu
lixxylu

Closed when it shouldn't be

3 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2013

We FINALLY got to eat here after visiting several times and finding it closed despite it being well within the stated opening hours. There was no explanation or any notice of temporary closure that we could see on their website, nor the restaurant door itself. We thought perhaps it had even shut down. Then a month later, we were in Ginza again and thought we would just wander past....open at last!! The food was nice but the price is expensive compared to other places in Tokyo. While we are more budget travellers, we don't mind splashing out occasionally.

Pros: Convenient location
Anne-MarieVeg
Anne-MarieVeg

• raw

Lovely

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2013

This restaurant is very pleasant. We have eaten several dishes beautifully presented and very good. We did not eat a lot but it was good. This restaurant is very quiet and clean. Just several steps from the street.

Pros: lovely, quiet, original
BlisterBlue
BlisterBlue

Very nice restaurant with large choice

4 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2013

We had dinner there on week evening and the restaurtant was fulled with Japanese custumers.
The staff was really friendly!
The menu was almost all in Japanese but there were pictures of each meal in order to help us choose our meals. + the staff spoke some English as well.
Menu a bit expensive though.
After dinner, we could even buy some vegan doghnuts to take away!

Pros: Location, Staff, Choice
Cons: Wait between each plates, Price

Dear Owner and Manager of Ain Soph.Journey:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the Tokyo page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/05/31