The third Ain Soph, this one opened Feb 2014. Location is 10 minutes for Ikebukuro station, close to Sunshine City. Features plant-based cuisine. Closes 1st and 3rd Tuesdays. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Japanese, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Fusion

iokan
iokan

Small portions, big prices

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2016

Ain Soph presents itself as a high class vegan restaurant. And that's exactly what we felt like having. So we visited Ain Soph Soar in Ikebukuro. The place is rather easy to find (near one of the larger back entrances to Sunshine City) and it looks beautiful. The atmosphere is tranquil and peaceful.

The kitchen seems to operate in that same tranquil rhythm, because it took a long time for the order to arrive at the table. And... the portions are small. Disappointingly small.

We ordered the falafel plate and when the waitress finally brought it to the table I looked at her with a puzzled face. Is this really all? Her stale face said it all: yes, that's it. The plate contained three tiny pieces of falafel, no pita bread, no dip. That's 333 yen per bite! The tempeh burger was also tiny, but it least it came with a few leafs of lettuce.

The "burger" with miso sauce and yams didn't look very attractive on the menu (in English, with pictures) but it was the best piece of the meal. It's rich in taste and somewhat heavy on the stomach (which was most welcome after all the tiny dishes before).

Ain Soph uses high quality ingredients and the food feels very healthy, but given the size of the portions and the presentation (hardly any garnishing) it's way overpriced. One goes to Ain Soph for the atmosphere first and for the food second.

Pros: healthy, high quality, peaceful atmosphere
Cons: expensive, small portions, slow kitchen
SergeBrel
SergeBrel

Good quality vegan food

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2016

Nice tranquil atmosphere. Food was good as was the service. Nice to see a vegan option in Tokyo

Pros: vegan, quality, serene
Cons: price
Ena
Ena

Mumble Mumble..

Posted on 03 / 06 / 2016

The food is tasty but nothing that makes you say "Wow!", the ambient is cozy and the furnitures are will refined.
Unfortunately they have not so many courses on the menu (at least for lunch) and I think that they are not the price.
Besides in the hall there is written that children under 6 years are "not really wellcomed", cause they may disturb the other clients which, in my opinion, is something absurd to think and scandalous to find written in a public space.

trappersha15
trappersha15

So charming!

Posted on 09 / 21 / 2015

This place is amazing! The atmosphere is nice for chatting and relaxing at the middle of the day. I went to this restaurant yesterday with my friend and we had such a wonderful time there! The food was delicious! Please, be prepared that the lowest price for one meal is around 1600 Yen. But drink (like ice tea or coffee) is included in the price. The menu is not very wide but I think everyone can find something that she/he likes. I wish you all who goes to this place to have a great time there.

Pros: Great food, Nice atmosphere, Friendly staff
Cons: Little bit pricey
melephant
melephant

10/10 Amazing

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2015

This place was absolutely amazing. First of all, the atmosphere and layout was fantastic. It was spacious and comfortable.

But the food... EVERYTHING I ate here was absolutely amazing. I ordered the pancake set. It was 1500 plus 120 for tax I think. The portion was PERFECT. In Japan i find the portion sizes to be abysmal and leaving restaurants hungry, but here I was full.

The pancake set came with 2 of the best pancakes I've EVER eaten in my life, 4 bits of 'karage' (Japanese style fried 'meat'), a salad, and a soup. The soup had light but deep flavors, the salad was a real salad with dark leafy greens and a sweet, light dressing. The pancakes were ultra rich and fluffy, literally the best I've ever had. They also have curry sets and really large set about 2500 yen, maybe suitable for two people.

And they give you a stint of water for your table which is a small thing but something I really appreciate.

I would recommend this restaurant to ANYONE. They also sell some of their foods here.

Pros: Amazing Food, Large Portions, Reasonable Prices
Fit_Fathers
Fit_Fathers

King & Queens Feast

Posted on 07 / 01 / 2015

This location took longer to travel to than Dejour, but they also honored our last minute reservation request on a Wed evening. Light Jazz -- Kenny G to be exact -- dim lighting, country styled wood tables, and wine and book selections commingle to create a touching atmosphere to go along with majestic foods. When we arrived the large dining room was empty except for a few patrons. Yet, the menu is a few pages thick with a bevy of dishes to choose from. You can order individual items or as sets such as the 3,800 yen Everything Course with a Salad Parfait, Tomato Soup, Veggie Tortilla Roll (homemade whole-grain flour, fresh veggies, avocado and tofu mayonnaise) Tofu Spanish Omelet, a dessert and tea. The Heavenly Pancakes are a fan favorite but as I stated previously, they are far too doughy for me and the kids. Need a fresh dose of Vitamins and Minerals then Go with the Bouquet of Organic Vegetables. We ordered the Vegetable Paella which was bustling with flavors, a Veggie Pasta and a few salads for the kids. But they also delved into the adult plates for ultimate satisfaction.

Pros: abundance of options , can select a la carte
Cons: pricey
dagny70
dagny70

Nice place...

Posted on 03 / 11 / 2015

I visited Ain Soph Journey in Shibuya when I was in Tokyo last June, and thought it was nice. I did try to go back to that one a couple of weeks ago, but it was Friday night, I didn't have a reservation, and they were fully booked. So I went to the branch in Ikebukuro last Sunday for lunch, and although it was very busy, I was able to get a table. I had the lunch set, which was a tomato & veg soup, mushrooms & veg in red wine sauce and a drink (I had coffee), for 1700 yen. The food was very nice, and the staff, although very busy, were attentive enough. But I don't know..there is just something that stops me raving about it. I think it is a popular place, with a very particular crowd - mostly female, young, hip Tokyoites;. And maybe I'm just used to all the other veggie places I've been to, where you can often be the only customer, so don't get turned away or have to wait a while to pay. It just feels a little bit too trendy to me, and like it doesn't have to try. No complaints at all about the food, but I've had better in other, cheaper places. Yes, I would go again, and yes, I would recommend it...but it wouldn't be my first choice. This branch is quite easy to find. Take metro to Ikebukuro, which is a massive station. Can't remember which exit I took, but there are maps on the station and you want the exit opposite Sunshine Dori. Head along Sunshine Dori until you come to a really busy main road (it's about a 10-minute walk). You have to use the overpass to get across the road, and the restaurant is on the other side, clearly sign posted.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Lovely interior
Cons: Busy
Dominika87
Dominika87

Up-scale vegan restaurant

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2015

I visited the restaurant on a Saturday and was asked whether I had a reservation, which I did not, but I was alone so they managed to accommodate me. At first the waitress looked at me all panicked, because she didn't know what language to speak in, haha :D Anyway, just in case it is better to make a reservation.
The prices are very expensive. Definitely only for special occasions. But the food was really delicious! I ordered the pancake course, which consisted of salad, tomato soup, a coffee with soy milk and the pancakes, which in my opinion had little to do with actual pancakes, but were still delicious. The ambient is great, would definitely recommend this place for date night :)

Pros: Ambient
Cons: Expensive
sweetpotatosoul
sweetpotatosoul

Lovely place + pretty good food

Posted on 02 / 21 / 2015

Ain Soph was the first restaurant I visited on my visit to Tokyo. It's conveniently located near the Ikebukuro station, and has a very cozy atmosphere. The staff is very friendly and helpful despite the language barrier. English menu available.
The food was pretty good. I started with the tomato soup, which was warming on a cold mid February day. It was very tasty!
My main was the "burger". It was served with a rich miso sauce, and yams. Yummy, but I felt like it was missing something. Perhaps a better balance of flavors and texture.
For dessert I had the chocolate cake. It wasn't sweet (I think that was intentional), but hit the spot none-the-less.
Overall my meal was delightful, but I'm not sure if I'd rush back the next time I'm in Tokyo.
...though I am curious to try their pancake set for brunch ;)

Pros: Price, Great staff, Beautiful restaurant
Cons: Not amazing
BrendanBrown
BrendanBrown

Nice place

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2014

A very comfortable restaurant with delicious food and drinks. Easy to find in a convenient location with kind staff and a relaxing atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Ain Soph.Soar:

Thank you for being a Plus FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Tokyo page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2015/01/05