Vegan restaurant located in the Ginza area of Tokyo near Higashi Ginza station. Look for a spiral staircase and under that a sign with the name 'Cafe Ainsoph' above the door. Natural and tranquil atmosphere. Features a menu with hand drawings of the dishes. Staff knows English. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Western, Japanese, Fusion, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Catering
4-12-1 Ginza, Chuo-Ku
Tokyo, Japan
03-6228-4241

Open Mon-Fri 11:30am-11pm, Sat-Sun 11:30-10pm.

First Review by jacqui
Minni
Minni

Not good value for money

3 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2014

I have to disagree with some of the great reviews this restaurant has gotten. I thought the food was way overpriced. I understand that the location of the restaurant is really central and the interior was definitely pretty. But the dishes or their presentation weren't anything special.

I ordered the set menu for lunch for 3,900 yen and nothing in it was great. Everything tasted fresh but the portions were really small and you can get better vegan food at many places. We also got a bag of vegan donuts to go for 700yen and they weren't awesome either. It felt like a rip-off to be honest.

Pros: vegan, pretty interior
Cons: not good value for money
itzjac
itzjac

Great restaurant!

4 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2014

My boyfriend and I had a bit of a date-night splurge at this restaurant - and it was well worth it!

We actually didn't book - I didn't read reviews that said you should - and it was a week night so I thought we would be okay. However it was pretty busy and we were lucky to ge ta table so I would recommend you book.

The restaurant is beautiful with a lit up spiral staircaise out the front so you can't miss it.

We sat a table on the second floor and the ambience was wonderful! Perfectly lit, nice music and just perfect.

We ordered a couple of beers and glasses of wine as well as 7 courses to share between us - every dish was just wonderful. Tasted great and perfectly presented!

Highly recommend checking out this place :)

Pros: Ambience, Food, Service
Cons: Ginza is a bit out of the way
Barney Big Ears
Barney Big Ears

elegant little place

4 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2013

Easy to find. Food menu in English and the friendly staff spoke some English too. I had a set menu which was filling enough for dinner. Not a cheap meal but what I would expect to pay for this part of town and style of food.

Pros: Nice food, English available, easy to find
Ailia
Ailia

Good food

4 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2013

This was our first trip to Tokyo. We don't speak any Japanese and were finding it a little bit hard to communicate about how to veganize dishes at other restaurants. So it was a relief to find a place that was already vegan.
There was one server who could speak some English. We mainly pointed at what we wanted to eat. We got a couple of appetizers and dishes to share. From what I remember, we had tortilla with salsa, a tofu omelet, fried soy meat, curry rice and a couple of other things that my currently jet lagged brain cannot remember. We also had dessert which was a caramel mousse/cake and a chocolate brownie.

The presentation of the food was really nice and the service was fast. The food tasted fine. I think that we were so glad to find vegan food that any shortcomings were forgotten.

The price wasn't that bad, but we have lived in really expensive cities and so I found it to be quite reasonable.

Pros: Good location, Good service, All vegan
slo0go
slo0go

Ain Soph!

5 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2013

Rustic interior, very cute restaurant. Don't walk up the stairs to get in; you have to walk through the front door. There was this idiot couple that walked up the stairs in front of all the diners (ahem, it was us).

We ordered the vegan omelet, fried soy meat, Japanese rice with vegetables, and the tomato mushroom dish. All were delicious! The staff was very friendly and helpful. The chocolate dessert with ice cream was also yum, as were the drinks!

They take credit cards!

Pros: Vegan, Delicious, Staff
Cons: Smallish portions
PDXTom
PDXTom

Woderful food and service

5 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful mean at Cafe Ain Soph this evening. It is located next to the huge construction site for the new Tokyo kabuki theater in Ginza, an easy walk from any of the near by hotels or the Ginza or higashi-Ginza subway stations.

As noted elsewhere, there is no English menu but there is one with sketches. And one of the wait staff turned out to have excellent English speaking skills and helped us make our choices. We shared an order of vegan wheat tortilla (humus, avocado, greens and olive oil-based salsa) and roasted seasonal vegetables followed by a lovely vegan kiwi tart. Reasonably priced and carefully prepared, this is a great option if you are staying anywhere hear the Ginza Chiyoda or Minato wards).

Pros: Excellent food , Great location, Good value
Cons: No English menu
nesbitevans
nesbitevans

disappointing

2 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2013

Sometimes on review sites you wonder if previous reviewers visited somewhere different to you as your experiences of a place are so discrepant. Ain Soph Ginza is one of those places. We visited here recently and were bitterly disappointed. The food was bland, the prices extortionate and we would never come here again. Yet, everyone else here thinks it is great! Not so on Trip Advisor where the reviews are more like ours. In contrast to other people, we did not find this place difficult to find. The people are extremely welcoming and very helpful indeed. That was where the good points ended. The menu is short and there were various meal sets which we thought we too pricey or contained items we really didn't fancy. I can't really see the appeal of wraps/sandwiches in a meal set for example... We settled for individual plates. The deep fried fake meat was, well, deep fried fake meat. No attempt to dress it up in any way. Fair enough. The tofu omelette was tasteless and had a jelly-like texture. Evern worse, it was accompanied by tomato ketchup. The mushroom casserole was another bland and tasteless offering. There were some redeeming features - the salad of the day was cabbage leaves stuffed with noodles, like a Vietnamese spring roll but with cabbage. This was really tasty. We also shared a dessert as our "mains" had left us starving and this was also really tasty. The drinks list was extortionate. We opted to try some saki with peach flavouring. It was nice enough but excessively sweet. Overall, the most amazing thing about Ain Soph Ginza was how expensive it was for what it was. Value for money it was not.

Shauna333
Shauna333

Delicious!

5 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2013

I ate here twice for lunch whilst staying in Japan in March 2013. I found the location was very convenient for shopping in Ginza and the staff were very helpful and welcoming. I found it very easily following the map on the Ain Soph website, which I printed off. It was on a main road and you go in the side door (not up the exterior staircase). Both visits, I sat upstairs in the same seat! It was quite busy both times.

I went on a Sunday for lunch and had a set meal, which was salad to start, followed by tomato soup, rice and some chargrilled veggies which were cold. I also had a tea and selection of desserts. The salad was lovely - it came in a tall glass with some crudités on top. You were given a dip, made of vegan melted cheese (which I had never had before, and I was licking the bowl clean it was so good!), and a dressing. The soup made a nice change from miso, and the rice was nice but the vegetables were nothing special. The tea was full of flowers and was quite sweet and flavoursome, and the desserts were delicious - a piece of cake and a scoop of ice cream.

I then went back for lunch on a weekday and the same lunch offers were not available. I had the salad, which I thoroughly enjoyed again, followed by a Hayashi Rice plate, which was a tomato based stew - very delicious! I had a small sweet, of matcha cake and tea.

The restaurant had a very calm feel and was spotlessly clean. Being on the top floor meant service was a tiny bit slower, as the waitresses didn't see when you finished, but I was in no hurry and it was still fast by Western standards.

They have a small selection of cakes and donuts to take out. I didn't try any, but the donuts looked a bit dry.

It was quite expensive, but probably not for this part of Tokyo, and it was all fresh and healthy and very filling.

Pros: Great location, Friendly and helpful staff, Delicious food!
Cons: Expensive
SimaL
SimaL

Ain Soph: a lucky find in Tokyo's Ginza district

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

I was in Tokyo for work--for a week. I've been before, and it's always very difficult to find vegetarian food. I don't speak Japanese, so I had a Japanese colleague write out for me what I can and cannot eat. I found Ain Soph on the happycow website--but the first time I went, alone, the map on the website took me to the wrong location. I had my hotel call and find out exactly where the restaurant is (in Japanese), and make a reservation for me and 3 colleagues. And the food was incredible! It might not be so special in the UK, but I travel a lot in Asia, and high quality vegan food is close to impossible to find. It isn't cheap--but nothing in Japan is. I will be back in Japan later this year, and I certainly will go back. One mystery: Ain (pronounced as in "ain't") Soph means "no end" or "without end" in Hebrew (and may also refer to god). What is the connection here? No one at the restaurant spoke English so I couldn't ask! I recommend this restaurant highly--but have someone call and make a reservation.

Pros: great food
Cons: hard to find
vixtrola
vixtrola

Life Saver

5 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2012

I am not 100% vegan but it is the only way I can safely eat in Japan due to a severe shellfish allergy. This is the perfect place to go for those that have that as a worry.Fortunately, the food is fantastic. I had a great experience both times. I ordered the meat nuggets, brown rice with a stewed tomato mushroom sauce and a small salad. I especially loved the dressing. I should add that I am not as inclined to consider the cost/value of the meal. I was full, it tasted delicious to me, I was happy.I feel like I've had my fair share of quality vegan food in Los Angeles so my point of reference is strong.

Pros: good flavors, wonderful staff, sexy neighborhood
sglcklch
sglcklch

Nowhere near the bang for the buck I had expected

3 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2012

Came here for lunch with high expectations, but was left disappointed. The location was great, very easy to find. The setting and atmosphere was lovely and relaxing. However, the food just didn't match up to the hefty price tag.

They offered three lunch sets: (1) JPY1800 for a small salad, choice of soup/rice/pasta dish and dessert of the day with coffee/tea, (2) JPY2800 for a salad, soup, pizza, dessert with coffee/tea, or (3) JPY3800 for a salad, soup, plate of veggie meat nuggets/wrap/Spanish tortilla, dessert with coffee/tea. I decided to splurge and went for the third option.

Served in a tall glass, the salad tasted fresh... and that was about it. The tomato soup was nice but was gone in a few spoonfuls. From here I waited for a good half hour for the main course, hoping that it would have more to offer, but it didn't. On the plate there were literally three teensy bite-sized nuggets, a small wrap cut in half with only salad greens and a piece of avocado in it and a palm-sized Spanish tortilla. The miserly portions aside, the food was mediocre at best. The nuggets were alright; the wrap was, well... just a wrap; the tortilla was essentially a tofu quiche with bits of potatoes inside smeared with a touch of ketchup. It was very bland and could really use some spices. The dessert dish was exquisitely presented and featured some fruits, a tiny scoop of ice cream and a bite-sized cake square which I couldn't figure out what kind it was as it was tasteless.

Staff spoke little English but was very friendly. There were only a few of them that had to keep running up and down the different floors, so service was rather slow and we had to wait a lot. In hindsight, my meal might have turned out better if I had ordered the JPY1800 set instead; the one I got was a total letdown and definitely not worth it.

Pros: location, atmosphere
Cons: meh food, overpriced, slow service
RuzhaTodorova
RuzhaTodorova

Heavenly Food and Relaxing Atmosphere

5 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2011

The best vegan meal I've had by far. The staff speaks very little English, but the menu has some English description and pictures, and luckily I was there with a Japanese companion. They have set menu items, and seasonal items prepared with the best ingredients for the season.
We had the special seasonal Happy Halloween meal that consisted of six courses each of which used kabocha pumpkin as an ingredient: (1) a potato-pumkin salad appetizer with a grape vinegar drink, (2) a curried pumpkin pâté with fresh green salad, (3) a tofu Spanish omelet with pumpkin, (4) a tomato soup, (5) black tortilla wraps with pumpkin puree, and (6) a pumpkin cake with soy whip cream. Every single menu item was incredibly delicious. The grape vinegar was sweet and very easy to drink. The pâté was really well spiced, and the omelet was amazingly creamy and smooth. The black tortilla wraps were my favorite - like a heavenly explosion in my mouth!
The staff was very nice and friendly. Before leaving we spent a little time talking to them and ended up getting a piece of banana walnut cake to go.
This small vegan restaurant offers a variety of dishes and a cozy calm atmosphere much needed in the busy Tokyo. I am looking forward to going there again before leaving Japan.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Creative recipes
LucidDreams
LucidDreams

ain soph cafe

3 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2011

After reading all the good reviews I had high expectation of this place. We had tofu omelet and for desert we had brownie. The place looks nice but it is too big considering how few people work there so we had to wait a lot before ordering and for the food.

Pros: Nice place
Cons: Long wait
jacqui
jacqui

Excellent cafe, close to Ginza sights

5 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2010

One of the best veggie meals we had in Japan when we were on holiday. It was easy to find and close to the touristy Ginza, ideal for lunch if you are sightseeing. The meals were displayed outside, we had one of each - the noodle dish and I had the rice set meal which were freshly cooked, reasonably priced and really tasty. Portion size was good and they had forks and chopsticks depending on your preference. Went with a Japanese friend who did the ordering for us, but other westerners arrived and were able to order easily - I think they had an english menu. The cafe is on 2 floors, a small downstairs (about 8 seats) and another 10 seats upstairs). I would highly recommend eating here.

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Good location

Dear Owner and Manager of Ain Soph Ginza:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the Tokyo page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/03/08