Vegan cafe near the water, replaced Zephyr Vegetarian Cafe and under different ownership. Menu features a selection sandwiches (tempeh reuben), plates and appetizers (nachos, brown rice sushi rolls), salads and pies for dessert. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by Babtakie
earthville
earthville

Great place for meals, snacks, desserts & juices

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2014

We've eaten at Ahimsa Vegan Kitchen many times when visiting Long Beach.

There's a good selection of very satisfying sandwiches, bowls, wraps, salads, and other good stuff, including a variety of vegan desserts.

Those of us trying to avoid or minimize bread appreciate the fact that, for all the sandwiches, they offer the option to substitute the bread with a lettuce wrap.

The quality comes in part from the fact that they use mostly organic produce, including some from their own farm nearby.

They've added fresh juices and smoothies, which for us is a huge plus.

Favorite items:
- Tempeh reuben (one of the best we've had anywhere)
- Chicken's Friend BBQ burger
- Sweet potato fries (great flavor and perfect texture)
- Salads
- Vegan cheesecake

Service was friendly and helpful. Compostable take-out containers are much appreciated.

We'll certainly return whenever we're in town.

Enjoy!

Updated from previous review on Wednesday February 05, 2014

Pros: Healthy, organic, local, great sandwiches with GF options, fresh juices and smoothies
HillaryPerryColey
HillaryPerryColey

Good vegan burger

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2014

Just had lunch there. Nice relaxed atmosphere. I had the Ahimsa burger, which was flavorful and totally satisfying. The menu has lots of options; it was really hard to limit myself to just the burger!

Pros: Excellent food, Relaxed atmosphere, Friendly staff

Chia
Chia

Relaxed place

4 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2014

Was visiting Long Beach and saw Ahmisa listed on HappyCow. Stopped in for lunch and was pleased with my meal. The pies, though looks rather homely and small, were the highlight. I also got a tall cup of fresh green vegetable juice.

The space is very relaxed and casual. Food is all vegan which is a plus.

kenvegan
kenvegan

Nice To See Vegan Restaurants in Long Beach

4 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2014

I was at the a Long Beach Eco/Green event earlier, and my friends and I decided to check out the relatively new Ahimsa restaurant.

We decided to order a bunch of dishes and split them so that we could try a variety of dishes. We ordered the vegan nachos, the tempeh reuben, the vegan BLT, the vegan sushi rolls, and 4 pieces of pie include cherry, blueberry, apple and pumpkin.

If you are looking for a quick bite to eat, this may not be your place, as the service was rather slow.

We started with the nachos. They were decent, but I think this dish could have used a bit of improvement. I think a fresher/homemade vegan sour cream would be a nice addition.

The tempeh reuben was good, but I certainly have had better. What I found a bit strange about this reuben was that it was smothered in barbecue sauce. I think perhaps they ran out of mustard, so they used barbecue sauce instead.

The smoked tempeh on the BLT was tasty, but I figured that both sandwiches we ordered might have been more compelling had they come with sides other than bagged tortilla chips.

The dessert pies were a highlight. The fillings were fresh, and the crust was the perfect sweetness. Although each piece of pie was only 3 dollars, they were a bit on the small side for my taste. We easily demolished the 4 pieces of pie.

Unlike in Los Angeles, where there are loads of vegan restaurants, I cannot be too critical of this restaurant, as there are very few choices in the Long Beach area. I was very satisfied with my meal, and I will definitely come here again if I am ever down in Long Beach.

Pros: Nice atmosphere
Cons: Rather slow service
laranjatomate
laranjatomate

Near IndyCar street circuit

4 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

I visited the former Zephyr restaurant stated in the same address.
I didn't visited Ahimsa yet, but for the experience in visiting other HK restaurants, it might be good.
For me, the fact of being located near the IndyCar street circuit is itself a great advantage.

Pros: Near the IndyCar street circuit
litano
litano

first time was good

4 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2014

Ahimsa was only open a few months. It was in location of the Zepher which was in Long Beach for years. It is a Hare Krishna based restaurant but they donot push it. Simple menu. Indian soup was great. Best organic french fries ever. I am a gourmet vegetarian chef of over 40 years, and take pride in making good french fries, and these equaled mine. Looking forward to going back. read my profile to see my history.

Babtakie
Babtakie
  • raw

Even Better now after remodeling

5 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2013

I used to come to this place for a while, I love the fact that they have daily specials and at a very reasonable price, I adore their lunch menu with daily soup and salad, very fresh and tasty. And now is even better after the remodeling, they are soon adding a juice bar as well per what I saw last time, they have added new items to the menu and the restaurant is FULLY VEGAN.
Their vegan pies and cakes are absolutely delicious. If you stop by for a salad try their homemade salad dressings, they have a large variety. I love this place!

Pros: Large variety, Good Price, Great Memu

Dear Owner and Manager of Ahimsa Vegan Kitchen: