Ah Sin Vegetarian

Dim Sum counter at street level - restaurant on the first floor. Very popular at lunch times. In a very busy commercial area. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out

veganinseattle
veganinseattle

Good Cheap Veg Dining in Kowloon

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2014

We found Ah Sin by accident when our group went to visit the Hong Kong Museum - which is about 2 blocks away.

They have a pretty extensive menu and as one reviewer noted many dishes contain Quorn. I know that Quorn products in the U.S. contains egg whites and on that basis, we avoided these items.

There were still plenty of dishes without Quorn and we enjoyed our selections of Fried Rice Noodle, Vegetable Fried Rice, Eggplant and Tofu, and a mixed Chinese Greens dish. They do add egg to their Fried Rice dishes so I asked that they omit this.

I can speak some Cantonese and this was helpful as I don't believe there is much English spoken as this restaurant. As the menu is in Chinese and English, you should be able to point to your selections and get dishes that will meet your specific needs.

At the end of the meal, they presented some dim sum items from the downstairs takeout shop for our dessert treat. This was a nice touch.

Napkins are often not found at Chinese restaurants so be sure to carry some of your own. They don't serve ice water but you can order bottled water. Green tea was served.

Service was good and the food came out promptly.

Pros: Large Menu, Good Value, Decent Food
Cons: Ambiance Lacking, Ice Water Not Available , Meat Analogs Are Made From Quorn
terrenceleong
terrenceleong

Ramada Hotel

3 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2012

This restaurant is just next to Ramada Hotel and under the pedestrian bridge. Downstair are selling simple food for take away and upstair are the restaurant. Very nice food and price is inexpensive.

gymgirl
gymgirl

If you love quorn...

2 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2012

I've just eaten at this restaurant, and was really disappointed because the previous reviews were so good. Basically, their whole menu is Quorn of some sort. As the stuff makes me unable to breathe, I found it extraordinarily hard to find something to eat there. None of the waitresses spoke English, so I had to ask the couple next to me for help. Once I finally found something I could order with the help of this couple, it was pretty good. The fried tofu was a bit bland, but the soupe with rice cakes was good. There were no desserts on the menu.

It's not a particularly nice restaurant, and they don't even give you table napkins, which I found annoying. My seat was wet (don't know what with) when I was shown to it, and I had to deal with an irritated waitress when I asked it to be dried.

All in all, if you love quorn in every shape and form, and aren't bothered about service, this is an ok place to go. However, it was extremely disappointing to me.

Pros: Easy to find, Huge selection of quorn dishes, Big portions
Cons: Menu 90-odd % quorn, No English, Not very aesthetic
fhspd
fhspd

Friendly, Fast & Delicious

5 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2011

Large selection of wonderful food. Our order was quickly prepared. Service was prompt and friendly. I wished I lived in HK so I could go all the time.

Pros: Great Food, Large Menu, Excellent Service
sglcklch
sglcklch

Cheap doesn't mean bad!

4 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2011

My friend and I had dinner here before going to the movies. We ordered the set dinner for two, which included a small pot of soup, three main dishes, and two bowls of rice. Food was delicious and portions pretty generous. Dessert soup was freebie and just got the right amount of sweetness to it, which is exactly how I like it. All this food only cost about HKD150 everything inclusive, what a bargain! And the quality is by no means compromised for the price. Yes, there are a lot of fake meat items as usual, but you can get around that by ordering something else, which I found quite easy in here. Definitely recommended!

Pros: very good value, prompt service
Cons: fake meat

JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible

• herbivore

Tasty snacks

3 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2010

Some very tasty dim-sum options - right on the street - immediate hunger removal.

A couple of items contain cow cheese so be careful.

The upstairs restaurant was packed out when I thought about eating there on Friday lunchtime.

"I'll be back!"