Serves meat, veg options available. Ingredients are labeled on menu. Seasonal courtyard outdoor seating. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Non-veg
Rataskaevu 8, Harju (heart of old town)
Tallinn, Estonia 10123

Blondie
Blondie

Amazing food!

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2014

My boyfriend and I tried both Vegan Restaurant V and Aed Restaurant, both located in the same street.
This restaurant serves meat as well, but they still have an extensive list with veggi choices, and very special dishes! My boyfriend (who's a non-vegeterian) took a veggi dish as well and we both loved our dishes. We even went back to this place a couple of days later. Their desserts are also delicious!! I took their cheesecake twice, and my boyfriend's chocolate cake was fantastic as well.
Staff is friendly and speak English very well.
This restaurant is much bigger in size than Vegan Restaurant V so chances are more likely that you find a free table here if you didn't book a table beforehand.
They also have a terrace both in the front and in the backyard. I went during summertime when it got really hot during lunchtime (29°) but the backyard had shadow so that was perfect.
Both Vegan Restaurant V and Aed Restaurant were equally tasty I think, with the main difference that Aed Restaurant also offers non-veggi dishes. I liked the drinks at Vegan Restaurant V more, but liked the desserts at Aed Restaurant more.

Pros: terrace both in front and back!, staff speaks English very well, also meat available for non-vegeterians
Merryaurora
Merryaurora
  • herbivore

Original and heart-warming

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2013

I went to Aed today for lunch. The place is beautifully located, and the menu clearly distinguishes the vegetarian/vegan menu. The staff greeted me warmly and led me to my table to sit. A glass of water was for free, which is a great plus in Tallinn at least. I ordered the green salad with fried tofu and oven-tomato sauce, and while I waited I was served some multigrain bread with creamy, green, non-dairy paste. Delicious.

The place is very cozy and attracts different kinds of people. There were families with children, loving couples, old ladies, and me doing a school assignment. The music at the background was just perfect - not too distracting.

I cannot imagine that the salad was so huge and that it only cost 5 euros?! It was the most delicious, prepared with care and talent. The ingredients tasted fresh and vibrant.

If Aed should improve in any way then they should incorporate a raw menu! ;) That salad would have rocked as a raw version! However, I already booked a date for a dinner in the near-future - definitely the place to go in Tallinn!

Pros: Friendly staff and original milieu, Big portions and fresh ingredients, Very inexpensive
Cons: No raw menu, May be crowded, Opens as late as at 12
SCos
SCos

Lovely restaurant

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2013

Aed's vegetarian list was vegan (as vegetarian lists should be!) and I tried their lentil cutlets with mushroom sauce and it was great. They also have two vegan desserts: rhubarb sorbet and chocolate cake. The sorbet was ok, a little molten but tasted good.

Pros: Inexpensive, Fresh food, Nice environment
Cons: Serves also meat

docpoet
docpoet

Excellent food and wine!

Posted on 09 / 02 / 2013

What a find! Such a lovely space nestled into one of the Old Town buildings, with brick walls and narrow stairs, great atmosphere. Their vegetarian menu is seasonal and was completely vegan the day we went. We had cauliflower
soup, vegetable pies, chickpea cutlets, and barley groats stew with fresh vegetables. The food was delicious and reasonably priced, service was friendly, and the wine list was wonderful. Not to be missed. Our only regret was that we didn't have room for the chocolate cake!!
Updated from previous review on Monday September 02, 2013

Pros: great food, vegan choices in tallinn
Morbid Cafe
Morbid Cafe

A Favorite in Tallinn!

Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

Of all the restaurants I've been to in the Old Town Aed takes the cake! It has great service, nice ambience, a lot (for Tallinn standards) of vegan options on the menu, good wine list... Make sure you try the tofu pasta - it is amazing, especially with the Marlborough Savignon Blanc!

Pros: Great food & service, Nice ambiance and location, Vegan options at a good price
MaurycyBrowar
MaurycyBrowar

Delicious

Posted on 07 / 05 / 2013

We went there three times and it was awesome. All vegetarian dishes are vegan.
they also serve two vegan desserts.

Pros: variety , desserts, atmosphere
Cons: only three tables outside
maymun75
maymun75

Fantastic food and ambiance

Posted on 01 / 05 / 2013

The best place to go in Tallinn, hands down! Food is great, with lots of options for vegetarians, and menu is clearly marked. Staff speak fluent English and location is just a short walk to the center of the town hall square. Tip: try their Glogg in the winter, it is a tasty way to get warm...

jurogrgic
jurogrgic

Tourists in Tallinn

Posted on 08 / 23 / 2012

Good vegetarian and vegan options, clearly showed on the menu. We had a complete menu: starter, main course and dessert. Everything were nice and tasty. The final bill was fair. The place was cool and charming.
The service was pleasant and friendly.

Pros: Tasty food, Place and service, Fair cost
Cons: Few vegan options
morius
morius

Tasty, great dishes!

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

This restaurant had some really interesting vegetarian dishes.
The price was ok and the food was really delicious.
If you go there, try their vegetarian mushroom pate, it's AMAZING!
It's located in the old centre, and pretty much everyone knows where it is (even if they don't, the old centre of Tallinn is quite compact, so it will be easy to find).

Pros: Great, interesting vegetarian dishes, Not too expensive, Good location
plantsbased
plantsbased

Reservation Needed! Book & Enjoy...

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2012

We found this restaurant listed on happycow and then read reviews on tripadvisor. Did you know that this is the NUMBER #1 Tallin restaurant on tripadvisor? Yep, at least it was when we checked it out in December 2011. The reviews do this place justice. The ambiance is lovely (wooden beams, cozy lighting) and the food is delicious. They have (very reasonably priced) vegetarian menu items. Even though there are only a few to choose from (maybe five veggie entrees which you can check out on their website) you will have a hard time choosing. I got the pumpkin soup and the chocolate cake...amazingly delicious. Don't forget to reserve a table, this place books up quickly and they were turning people away when we were happily eating. Enjoy!

Pros: excellent food, reasonably priced, English-speaking
Cons: Cold by front door, small place--book a table!
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

delicious!

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2011

As Tallinn doesn't have many choices, we were pleasantly surprised by how much we liked this place. It's close to the main town square, but just far enough away from it to have prices dramatically drop (our plates were like 4 euro each). They have a few tables out front, but the courtyard in the back is very nice although we sat inside. The inside has a very nice rustic decor. The menu lists the vegetarian items separately and per conversation with the waitress, we learned that the "creams" are vegan. We ordered the rice fusilli pasta, a green salad and the beet patties. It was all so delicious. Really excellent quality and presentation. We both wanted to go back again, but sadly, we were only in Tallinn for the day.

Pros: delicious food, nice decor, helpful staff
Cons: non-vegan restaurant
SimonaSignorelli
SimonaSignorelli

nice organic veg-friendly restaurant

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2011

vegetarian and vegan options. on the menu is indicated L= no lacrose, E= no eggs, G=gluten free. spelt pasta, soups, vegetbles and dessert, everything very well presented.

Pros: good food, helathy cuisine, nice presentation
Stevie
Stevie

Aed, Tallinn

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2011

I left this place around 10 mins having eaten and since at time of writing there are apparently no all vego restaurants in Tallinn, this place wins hands down for me as the best place to go in this town.

The restaurant isn't all vego and doesn't pretend to be all vego. Dishes are marked as gluten free, egg free and / or lactose free where appropriate. There were 5 dishes in the vego section when I went just now. I engaged the waitress to try to ascertain which what was in the dishes and quick as a flash she said that all the dishes listed there in the vego section are vegan. Yeeha.

I had the 'creamy' broccoli soup (made with a plant derived creamer the waitress told me) to start followed by the spelt pasta. The soup was lovely and the pasta very interesting. Throw in a glass of apple juice and that bread was served with the soup, I felt that this was pretty good value at 10 euro.

The restaurant is open long hours, the decor pleasant enough, the staff helpful, the location is right in the old town.

Only downside for me is the obvious that this place isn't in all vego. That the only all vego restaurant in Tallinn since I was here last year, read into that as you will.

Its a big thumbs up for me for Aed, no idea what I would do without in this town at present. I'll be back there again this weekend

Pros: Vegan vego friendly, Helpful staff, Open long hours
Cons: Not 100% vego
martemow
martemow

Beautiful Aed - Garden

Posted on 04 / 10 / 2011

I was just in Tallinn and went to this lovely restaurant twice during my stay. The service is excelent and they spoke fluently english. They had more that 10 vegan dishes including 2 yummi desserts :)
I had the pumpkin risotto one day and a tofu/onion/tomato sandwich the next day and the chocolate tart with warm cherries and tarragon ice cream both days :) as a chef myself, i found the food to be very tasty and the plates were nicely decorated with flowers. I did not find it expensive at all. 4 euros for all the vegetarian dishes and 3 euros for the desserts. There were only locals eating at Aed when I was there and it was full, so you better make a reservation. One of the best restaurants I have ever been to.

Pros: beautiful decorations, lots of vegan options, excellent service
wildfang
wildfang

Good choice in Tallinn

Posted on 01 / 12 / 2011

I went there once during my visit to Tallinn some 2,5 years ago - back then, and apparently still today, it was nearly the only place to get good vegan food in this city or country even. I remember the prices being quite high and thus I wasn't surprised it wasn't crowded with people, it was mainly tourists, really. The staff was friendly, however, and spoke decent English.
I ordered a dahl with spinach and some other things I have forgotten - it was tasty but so spicy I couldn't finish it.
I did enjoy the atmosphere and would probably go there again to try out one of their other dishes.

Pros: choice of vegan dishes, English spoken, atmosphere
Cons: pricey, serves meat
Robin206
Robin206

Elegant and Tasty!

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2009

We visited this restaurant twice during our short stay in Tallinn. It was very close to our hotel. They were having a carrot festival. They have a separate section on their menu for vegetarians. The food was good, but not cheap. It was a great place to go with our meat-eating friends because the restaurant is not solely a vegetarian restaurant.

Pros: friendly staff, elegant decor
backpasher
backpasher

Gorgeous

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2008

This is one of my favourite veggie restaurants anywhere. It's a pretty classy place and a little expensive for Tallinn but totally worth it.

The food is gorgeous.

Merciless666
Merciless666

Probably the best choice in Tallin

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2008

A little fancy, but therefore very hearty and well prepared food. It might not be the best choice, if you're starving to death after an exhausting day of sightseeing. BUT just perfect for a stylish candlelight diner with your new estonian (girl-) friend.

Pros: awesome food, Lovely staff, cosy
Cons: fancy in a nice way, small dishes
ampallang
ampallang

soy cream.. ahh

Posted on 09 / 13 / 2007

so this is a nice place.. looks fancy. No local would go there due to the cost. I had dahl which was nice and bread. But the red bean and potato cassoral actually made me sick I think the soy cream was too much. Otherwise they have nice bio german beer.

Pros: dahl, nice staff
Cons: too much soy cream, noone other customers
LouLou BS
LouLou BS

Fantastic - Huge variety

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2007

Great selection of veggie food & my boyfriend also loved it (he is an omnivore, not bothered about healthy/organic food) Most dishes are veggie (and many vegan) & meat can be added on request. Variety of Risottos, soups, pasta dishes, stews. Very filling, nice peaceful atmopshere, friendly staff.

(I would give it a 5/5 but it won't let me!)

Poundie
Poundie

Excellent restaurant

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2006

This place is located in the old part of town, near the bottom of the Toompea hill, on Rataskaevu Street (NOT on Harju Street). It is not a vegetarian resaturant by any means, but it is very health oriented, and it offers some fine vegetarian and vegan selections. The place has a classy decor, and the food is extremely delicious, healthy, and with good service. I give it only 3 stars because it is not a vegetarian restaurant, but for Estonia (where the pickings are slim for vegetarians) this is a must-visit place.

Pros: Healthy, delicious, elegant
Cons: mostly not vegetarian

Dear Owner and Manager of Aed Restaurant: