Adobe Cafe - South Philly

Serves meat, veg options available. Southwest steakhouse bar and grill with a separate vegan and vegetarian menu that includes seitan, tofu, and soy cheese. Sunday brunch. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Southwestern American, Non-veg

First Review by veganshmegan
mariaiswaycool
mariaiswaycool

Love Adobe!

4 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

I love getting the seitan fajitas! I order them vegan, so they come with vegan sour cream and vegan cheese shreds. It's nice because all of the servers know what vegan means. I always use hot sauce, so I did not notice any underseasoning myself. Friends and I shared a pitcher of margaritas, the unfrozen type, and they were good. I agree with the other reviewers, it is a bit pricy, but I always leave with leftovers. However, I love the amount of options and the food. Plus, they have karaoke on Saturdays!

Pros: Vegan Options, Great Food, Leftovers!
Cons: A Bit Pricy
SaiyeGambone
SaiyeGambone

Vegans: Don't go here!

1 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2013

Everything about this place was a bummer.
I usually go to Cantina and I always enjoy the food but a fellow vegan told me to check out Adobe sometime so I went for my birthday lunch with a friend.
Really really disappointing.
I ordered the seitan tacos which were totally bland and under flavored and cost me $20!
I didn't even finish my plate.. which is unheard of! [haha]
The waitress was busy hanging out with people at the bar and completely left us hanging and we were the only table there.
The chips weren't fresh and the salsa was nothing special either.
I would never go out of my way to eat here again. Would definitely just go to Cantina instead.

Pros: Vegan sour cream, Vegan cheese
Cons: Service, Over priced, Poor Quality
cinebiz
cinebiz

Vegan Tex-Mex

4 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2013

My wife & I frequent this place usually once every week or two. They offer vegan options on most of the Mexican dishes.
They use Seitan in place of beef & offer vegan cheese and sour cream as well. The staff is friendly and the beer selection is decent.

Mark Ratkus
Mark Ratkus

Adobe Cafe Southwest Bar and Grill

2 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2010

Our waiter was very friendly and helpful in making suggestions about drinks and food. My companion liked his Taco Pizza with Ground Beef, and said that it was "tasty." I started with a bowl of the Roasted Vegetable Taco Soup, which featured still somewhat crispy veggies; the broth lacked any zip, however. I jumped at the chance to try the Seitan Fajitas, but these proved to be bland; nonetheless, there was a veggie sour cream/guacamole option to accompany them. We quaffed a pitcher ($18) of the Frozen Mango Margaritas, but alas this too lacked much distinctive taste; maybe the regular "unfrozen" version would have been an improvement. I'd try this place again in the hope that the kitchen would try to be a little more adventurous in its use of seasonings.

Pros: friendly staff, vegetarian offerings/condiments, vast array of options
Cons: bland food, too dark to be able to read the menu, bland drinks
veganshmegan
veganshmegan

great mexican vegan food

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2010

I am originally from Texas so I grew up surrounded by Mexican restaurants, but never had I been to one that served vegan dishes complete with vegan sour cream. My girlfriend and I tried the vegan wings, the seitan enchilada, and the vegan Mexican pizza and all three were absolutely terrific. Our server was very friendly and personable, but it our wings (which were an appetizer) ended up coming out with the rest of our food. Fortunately we had some chips with some guacamole and salsa, which was all great, to hold us. This place is a little pricey so you're probably going to pay over ten dollars for an entrée, but the food is excellent and will fill you up. Overall, everything was wonderful and I encourage anyone who likes Mexican food, and who doesn't, to give this place a shot.

Pros: great vegan mexican food, nice staff, dos XX lager
Cons: a little pricey