CLOSED: Abay Ethiopian Cuisine

Serves meat, veg options available. Some vegetarian options on the menu. CONFIRMED SHUT IN JUNE 2013 PER ITS FACEBOOK. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Take-out, Ethiopian, Non-veg

First Review by jena
hundleb
hundleb

Fabulous place to sample several dishes

4 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2011

Abay was my very first official restaurant visit after becoming vegan. I was thrilled with the many vegetarian and vegan dishes, and of course those that could also be modified.

In line with traditional Ethiopian dining, most dishes are shared with your table. Even with a party of two, we were able to choose 4 different 'entrees' and have just the right portion size.

We've been back twice since and plan to make it a regular stop!

Pros: Variety, Ethnic atmosphere, BYOB
Cons: small - seating may be difficult at peak
abbajen
abbajen

Very helpful staff, interesting dining experience

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2010

Abay is Pittsburgh's only Ethiopian restaurant. It has a very interesting atmosphere and is a lot of fun. The staff was very helpful in suggesting the best options for the vegetarian sampler platter. All of the food was interesting and delicious. Leftovers did not heat up well.

Pros: Many vegetarian options, Helpful Staff, Fun atmosphere
Cons: A bit expensive
jena
jena

yuck

1 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2009

I have been to many ethiopian restaurants and LOVE the cuisine. while they do have an extensive vegan menu, the combo platter only allows for 4 dishes. 3 of the 4 dishes we ordered were unbearably salty. They were all essentially flavorless and bland. After attempting to eat this food, I finally gave up when I got sick to my stomach. I would not go here ever again.

on a side note, the service was good.

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Abay Ethiopian Cuisine: