Aahaar Indian Cuisine

Traditional Indian cuisine. Has buffet and a la carte menu. Short walking distance from Antwerp Central station. Oct 2013 reported still open. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet
Lange Herentalsestraat 23, Antwerp (Diamond Straat)
Antwerpen, Belgium 2018
0473-485252

Open Mon-Fri 12-3pm, 5:30-9:30pm, Sat-Sun 1-9:30pm.

First Review by Ruby X
Jirko
Jirko

great cheap spicy indian food

5 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2013

finally managed to get here. they place was pretty crowded, but we could still find a table. as mentioned before, you can get an all you can eat buffet for only 9 eur. the food is seriously good and spicy ! the restaurant is visited by quite a lot of actual indians which is usually a good sign if you go out to eat indian food. i would definetely recommend this place, great quality food, very close to the central station for no money at all. what more do you want !
Updated from previous review on Monday December 30, 2013

Pros: very cheap, great spicy food, very close to station
Cons: none
veganem
veganem

A Great Affordable Option for Vegans

4 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2013

This was my fourth visit to Aahaar, and all have been good. The staff know which dishes on the buffet are vegan, and it's all you can eat for 9 euro which is a real bargain by local standards. There have always been at least 3 vegan curries, plus rice and sides, and they even offered to bring me a plate of the flatbread made without butter (at no extra cost.)

Good casual and affordable option for vegans, but only those who can handle a bit of spice!

Pros: Tasty, Affordable, Decent Vegan Selection
Cons: Occasionally food is not very hot
Fer
Fer

Veg Indian

4 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2013

This is a large restaurant in the "indian quarter" (there are lots of indians and a israelish in same street) fully vegetarian with vegan options. Nice ambience and fast serving. very spicy food.

Pros: Good price, Taste
Cons: Spicy food
Gudrun
Gudrun

Mixed Feelings

3 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2013

Quite a busy place very close to Antwerp central station. Very nice staff with immediate understanding what "vegan" means.

I went for samosas and a dosa with coconut sauce and lentil soup and a green tea.

When I got my meal I found that the coconut sauce had been replaced with coriander sauce because it turned out not to be vegan. I would have preferred to be asked before serving because I already had coriander sauce with the samosa and 2 meals with (a bit bland) coriander sauce was a bit too much of coriander.

The dosa and the samosas were good, the lentil soup contained a big peace of okra (?) with a wood-like consistency, I chewed a bit on it and then let it disappear discretely in my handkerchief. The rest of the soup was ok. The tea (coming in a tea-bag) was one of the standard brands over here, not great. And it was served when I was about finished with my meal.

All-in-all I have mixed feelings about this place, but I will give it another try when I get back to Antwerp.

Pros: friendly staff, many vegan options, close to central station
Cons: quality of food not always great, tea could be better

thomasvl
thomasvl

Great vegan buffet

4 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2012

This place offers a great Indian buffet, generally four dishes, rice, something sweet, some raw vegetables and Indian bread.
Mostly three of the four are vegan, ask the friendly staff and they will also bring you some vegan Indian bread (the one on the buffet has ghee in it I think).
The price is great for what you get too.
They also have an extensive menu, but generally people are so eager for the buffet they don't check that out.
The interior is not overwhelmingly cozy or warm, but it fits the atmosphere well and is authentic.
Too bad their tea is regular Lipton I believe and the other drinks are the usual sugardrinks or juices that aren't too great either.
The buffet is around 9€ and the dishes from the menu vary between 4-10€ or something I believe.

Pros: great food, relatively cheap, vegan friendly
Cons: drinks not really authentic
Lomedin
Lomedin

One of the best in Antwerp

4 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2012

Eat as much as you want for 9e. What else can I say? A 100% vegetarian restaurant with at least 4 out of 6 vegan choices. You also have a la carte menu. It can get a bit busy in the evening sometimes so you can call to be on the safe side and make a reservation.
Highly recommended.

Pros: Cheap, A lot of vegan options
soniavdk
soniavdk

Ahaar is my favorite veggie restaurant in Antwerp

5 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2011

every day they have other dishes to try out (as much as you can eat for 9 euro's), some dishes are quit spicy and that is not mentioned
lassy is also yummi
in the summer you can sit in the garden

Pros: exotic/spicy, not expensive, choice
Cons: basic decoration, staff doesn't speak Dutch (but friendly), some dishes too spicy
Danet
Danet

Tasted like INDIAN food

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2010

I went there in 2009 with my boyfriend, it doesn't look exquisitly decorated and it desn't matter.

All the buffet is vegetarian and lucky me a lot was vegan (or at least that's what the waitress told us), but as ghee is used in most of the dishes in indian cuisine, its really hard to know for very sure if it was.
Some of the dishes where indicated as suitable for jains (no onions, ginger, carrot, etc). There is a little jain community working there in Antwerpen.

The food is traditionnal vegetarian indian cuisine, and you can also tell by the clients, most of them where indians (and we were the only ones tearing our eyes down because of the spices).

It tasted delicious and was one of the best Indian restaurant (foodwise) that I've been so far. At first I tasted a bit of every vegan dishes they had and then went back for more, skipping the excessively hot ones for that time. The desert wasn't vegan so I can't give an opinion but it didn't matter to me at a time because the rest was so delicious.

It cost 11 euro/person (buffet+drink) which is a great price, if you want to discover indian food or if you already are an addict don't think to much and just go to Aahaar, such a bargain for great food. :)

Pros: Traditionnal food, Great value, No time waiting
Cons: Poorly decorated, Indian pop music (at a time), Dairy in some dishes
Ruby X
Ruby X

quite authentic...

3 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2010

Had dinner here with my boyfriend after a day of heavy shopping. The interior is not the fanciest I've seen, but that doesn't really bother me.

They have an all-vegetarian buffet for 9 euro's. This includes one type of soup and one type of dessert. There were about 5 different dishes. All of them ere quite authentic - meaning spicy. The drinks are not included in the price. There are some exotic options in that part of the menu as well. I had a coconut drink and my boyfriend had buttermilk with cumin. Weird, but yummy.

The waitress didn't speak a lot of dutch, so she explained everything in English. Which is rather interesting for foreigners visiting ;-) She was very helpfull and always reacted very quickly, but in all fairness, there were not a lot of people there at the time (my boyfriend and I tend to eat very early).

All in all a good place to eat, especially considering the price. You can't find a lot of vegetarian buffets in Belgium, so if you're in the neighborhood I'd certainly recommend it.

Pros: all veggie buffet, friendly and helpfull staf, "authenticly seasoned" (if you like it)
Cons: cafeteria like interior, "authenticly seasoned" (if you don't ;-)

Dear Owner and Manager of Aahaar Indian Cuisine: