CLOSED: A Naestu Grosum

A Naestu Grosum - One Woman Restaurant. Very vegan-friendly. See website for info. Reported closed to HappyCow. Location in in Kringlan shopping mall still open under name of Culina, serves both vegetarian food and non-veg. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Macrobiotic, International, Indian

First Review by Sernicki
cprisacariu
cprisacariu

nice atmosphere and good food and central

5 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

I eat mostly there when I visit Reykjavik and the food in good. Cakes are not their strongest point. Try the dish of the day which will be good and still you have choice. Otherwise you can make your own dish by combining from the many varied warm and cold dishes.

You can choose from the local Icelandic beers which they have there. Ask for them.

Staff is friendly and speaks English, and maybe other languages also, like Spanish or German.
The restaurant has a homey and quite atmosphere.

The restaurant in near the centre with pubs close by so you can go for fun in the centre after your dinner.

There is also a shop under the restaurant with healthy food and products. One can even get nice presents for home like chocolate...

Pros: good food, long opening hours, quite
Cons: deserts

sarahp
sarahp

Good Food for a Reasonable Price

4 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2011

Buffet-style mostly Indian fare. Cute atmosphere. Good service (not table-side). Excellent breads. Dessert was just OK. I got a really yummy latte to go and dropped it on there stairs and they made me a new one for free.

Pros: healthy cuisine, downtown location, cleanliness
Cons: only buffet-style
Fanny
Fanny

Best in it's cathegory

3 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2011

I've been to this place twice. The first time was in May 2010 and I had the "todays offer" which consisted of banana curry, rice and salad. Second time was in January 2011 and I had what was vegan, some vegetable stews and rice. I feel like the food is over all good quality, but can somtimes be a bit bland. The best thing is their free bread and chutney.

Pros: banana curry, home made bread, good amount of food
Cons: sterile atmosphere
mylarobin
mylarobin

Quality veg restaurant in Reykjavik

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2011

I went to A Naestu Grosum in the center of Reykjavik with my friend for lunch. They had two daily specials and a bunch of other options. We got one plate with both of the specials, which are new and fresh daily - a lentil dish, a carrot/tomato/squash dish with yummy brown rice - and the other plate of a variety of the other options - cheesy blue cheese potato casserole, a tomato cabbage dish, and a baked veggie dish with a side of pesto dressing. Both came with salad. Every item was incredible. My friend and I shared and we both loved it all - he's not a vegetarian but still enjoyed the meal and after kept talking about how good it was. We were too full for dessert but the cake display looked amazing. The price was good for Reykjavik, we spent 3200 Kronur total (about $14 each, which is on the cheap end of what I've seen here). Totally worth it, and we had leftovers!

Pros: excellent and healthy food, knowledgeable and friendly wait staff, good value
Roger
Roger

Fantastic!

5 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2010

An absolute must - at least half the food was vegan and the staff were very informed as to which was and which wasn't. Nice atmosphere, sort of an upmarket cafe rather than fancy restaurant. The food was hearty and healthy rather than fancy.

Pros: Food, Staff, Atmosphere
Cons: You have to go to Iceland to visit!
plonitalmoni
plonitalmoni

Sufficient for dinner, but not special

3 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2010

We had a bit of a tough time finding the place because it is technically off a side street not the main street. The food was fine, but not special. Some of it seemed like it had been sitting on the line for a while. It wasn't served very attractively, but it tasted ok. The atmosphere generally was pleasant but we preferred a different Reykjavik vegetarian restaurant.

Pros: quick, friendly
Cons: quick, poor presentation, not special food
veggiegoth
veggiegoth

super place for a hearty meal!

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2010

i ate here 3 times while in reykjavik and all 3 times were fantastic. they had different things to eat each time. very healthy food and they tell you which items are vegan and not vegan. you have choice of the special or mixed plate. very friendly staff and nice atmosphere looking down on main shopping street.

Sarah P
Sarah P

so consistently good!

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2010

I ate here at least 5 times while in the city. Although not everything was vegan, there were always ample vegan choices that were very tasty and filling. There was always at least one staff member who knew exactly what the vegan options were. You can choose the number of items you buy on your plate, and all meals come with delicious unlimited home made bread with hummus. Most days there was a vegan dessert, which most often was the delicious barley cake. The coffee & tea drinks are very good too, and the hot chocolate was the best I've ever had. I love that after the meal a friendly staff member asks "would you like some coffee and cake?"

Pros: very good food, very nice, helpful staff, great space & location
Cons: not 100% vegan
RWG
RWG

great value and super friendly

4 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2009

the staff here were really nice and helpful, taking time to talk us through all the different dishes and helping us decide.. we had a nice pumpkin soup (and helped ourselves to the free bread which was also great), and then mixed and matched various lasagne and bean-type options, which on the whole were great, really healthy and big portions, although nothing seemed to have any particularly intense tastes.

Great for a big wholesome meal for a good price, it's not posh but it was a very pleasant dinner. We're probably going there again tonight in fact!

Pros: great choice, friendly, relatively inexpensive
GPreis
GPreis

Good Veg Food

4 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2009

Friendly staff, nice selection of hot and cold dishes, free refills of soup, free whole grain bread and spreads. Overall, a reasonable and enjoyable experience. And judging by its popularity with locals, it must be a good find!

Pros: Selection, Staff, Location
csbench
csbench

A Vegetarian Gem for Reykjavik

4 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2009

I think some of the reviews thus far are a little stuck on cliches for eating in Iceland. Let's face it... it's a country of 300,000 people with few sources for local food. I mean, one doesn't come to Iceland to experience "Icelandic Cuisine." Further, the fact that everything has to be imported makes eating out at restaurants here quite expensive.

That said, for a city of 170,000, Reykjavik does just fine at supporting at least one or two good restaurants of many major international cuisine types. There's decent Italian here, decent Indian, decent Thai, etc, and those places do have good vegetarian options. It is true, though, that beyond these spots, vegetarians are stuck with bland and somewhat disappointing pizza and pasta. That's what I think makes A Naestu Grosum such a great find.

It's true that the place is set up cafeteria-style -- you order when you come in, and food is displayed at the counter. It's not that it's not fresh though, they do seem to be replenishing dishes over the course of the evening, and the food is not bland. They do an above average job with everything they make, and they seem to focus on Indian and hearty Central European foods.

The price is very fair, too. Sure, you might pay a bit more than usual because... well, it's Iceland... but compared to other restaurants in Reykjavik, the value is unmatched. You can choose small, medium, or large plates, and they have plenty of free breads to go with your soup. Their desserts are quite nice, too, and the dining room is pleasantly decorated.

Bottom line... my husband and I were quite pleased with A Naestu Grosum and are very glad it's there!

Pros: good value for Iceland, very friendly staff, Nice dining room
Cons: food is prepared in advance of order
Olive
Olive

Strange

3 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2008

I spent 4 days in Iceland, the landscapes are great but they don't have good food: there is meat or fish everywhere, it's very expensive and not tasty.

So I was happy to discover a vegetarian restaurant in this island and I went once:
1- It is expensive : 15€ minimum for one plate.
2- It's like a fast food: when you arrive you order, they put you the food in the plate and give it to you; what I mean is that there are no waiters and you have to go and ask for everything.
3- And as every food in this country: it has no taste!

But I have to say it was the less worse restaurant where I was in Iceland. In the others, if you are vegetarian, you can just have pizza or french fries which have no taste!

Pros: vegetarian, best restaurant where I was in Iceland
Cons: not tasty, expensive, no waiters
supervegan
supervegan

An Iceland GEM!

5 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2007

My boyfriend and I loved this place. They knew what vegan meant and were very friendly and helpful. We each received a plate piled high with a hot dish and a couple different kinds of veggies/salads. I kind of remember it being rather reasonably-priced compared to other meals we had in Iceland. I can't wait to go back to Iceland and eat here again!

Pros: Friendly staff, Good for Vegans, Good location
flux
flux

A haven in Rejkjavik

4 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2007

Both time we ate here the food was wholesome and lovingly prepared. Definitely no heavily refined or processed ingredients and with a definite Indian influence. As vegans we were well catered for, and we would recommend this over any other restaurant in the city.

Pros: vegan friendly, teasy and wholesome, informed staff
Cons: expensive (everything is in iceland!0
ampallang
ampallang

yum free hummus and bread

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2007

well i liked this place. Good range of food. Staff are so friendly. Know exactl what vegan is. Happy to talk with you. Really nice food before leaving iceland.

Pros: great free, free hummus!!!, nice staff
Cons: the price in iceland
alansmith100
alansmith100

Oasis in a land of pizza

4 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2007

My wife and i spent a 10 day holiday touring around iceland and found it very difficult to find good food, so when we stayed in Reykyavik for our last 3 days we thought we had landed in paradise, the food is wholesome well made and creative. Prices are reasnobale by icelandic standards, but we didn't really care how much it cost as we where just glad to have found something other than smoked puffin on the menu!

Pros: Busy
Cons: not one in every village
Guest
Guest

Fantastic

5 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2006

I can only agree with the previous member this is a great cool place. Fantastic staff and a good selection of vegan and vegetarian food. The addition of free bread and hummous/chutney makes it worth a visit. We went there most days on our 7 day trip.

Pros: Vegan Friendly, Great Staff, Free Bread and Hummous

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: A Naestu Grosum: