Following up on their previous successful venture, Off the Griddle food truck, the owners, Ashley and Dan, have opened this breakfast and lunch food diner place that's mostly vegan and gluten-free. Features classic American comfort food items such as vegan mac & chz, waffles with fresh fruit, biscuit sandwich, veg meatloaf sandwich, biscuits and gravy, plus daily vegan specials. Different non-dairy milks are provided for coffee drinks. Since Nov 2011. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Bakery, Take-out
5420 E Burnside St
Portland, Oregon 97215
503-233-4550

Open Mon-Fri 9am-3pm, Sat-Sun 8am-3pm.

First Review by greenvegan
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

AND he saw that it was good.

4 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2014

I was reluctant to have breakfast here, thinking that being a vegetarian place it would be all about eggs, and eggs, and cheese, and eggs. But I was dragged by my wife. And what a sweet surprise!

This place was great. The vegan options outnumbered the non-vegan. (I don't understand why they don't just go all the way?) The breakfasts were very hearty, tasted great and the blue plate was particularly impressive. The kids liked their sweet waffles too.

In a desperate attempt I tried a coffee but alas, this place could not deliver something palatable. (Not unlike around 99% of all USA establishments - so no marks deducted for this.)

Very affable waitstaff too. We liked it and would come back again. We might have had a good run as it was not very busy - I'd hate to have the waft of chicken's eggs floating around while eating.

Pros: Plenty of vegan options, Come hungry - leave full
Cons: Animal products in the same room
Conniemm
Conniemm

Great place!

5 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2014

My son and I were passing through Portland and were thrilled to find this restaurant.

He chose the mushroom stuffed waffles with vegan ranch dressing. They were outstanding. I had the special of English muffins topped with caramelized Brussels sprouts and artichoke, also good.

The decor was fun with unique artwork on the walls and very friendly staff.

I just wish this restaurant was closer to my home!

Pros: Friendly staff, Large menu selection, Fun environment
phyl
phyl
  • raw

Nice comfort food!

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2014

A N D is a great little cafe in the diner style. The service is good and the food is very yummy! I particularly love the birds nest vegan scramble!

Pros: vegan!, comfort food, nice staff
Cons: it's small

JohnGardner
JohnGardner

Have the special!

5 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2013

Lots of good stuff on the menu, but the day I was here the lunch special was a savory tempeh mole waffle, and I had to try it. They should make this a menu regular! So good!
Updated from previous review on Friday October 25, 2013

Pros: Friendly atmosphere
TRaeCH
TRaeCH

Love this Place for Breakfast!

5 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2013

Reviewing this restaurant and immediately saving it to my favourites list - one of the absolute bests!

My wife and I ate here on a Sunday morning, arriving at 9 am *just* in time to beat the full-on breakfast rush. We got a table right away but those following us had to hang out and put their names on the wait list. Either go early or be prepared to wait. Also, it's absolutely worth the wait!

We each had delicious kombucha (a Kimosa - think mimosa but with kombucha - for me) and an entree. My wife loved her Feast Waffle covered in an absolutely delicious sauce, stuffed with all kinds of vegan goodness. I ordered the classic Meatloaf Benedict and could not have been happier with my choice. Scrumptious!

The service was friendly and adequate, the menu packed with interesting options making for return visits a must! They also have daily specials which are very alluring too! Suffice to say, I adored this place. One of the best breakfast places I'm likely to find on Happy Cow. Don't miss it!

Pros: Delicious!, Good menu, Cool, friendly staff
Cons: Pretty small so get there early
mblack
mblack

Right around the corner!

5 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2013

I can't believe this place was here for almost an entire year before I stumbled upon it. Wow. The food here is innovative with potato "nests" piled high with veggie and protein of choice goodness. The sauces are yummy. Their gluten-free biscuits are flaky and yummy. The vegan sausage is unparalleled as is the "meatloaf." And that's just the FOOD. The best part of coming here are the owners and their fabulous staff. They are all people who I would love to hang out with. Good job folks!
Updated from previous review on Thursday September 05, 2013

Pros: Unique Menu Items and Delicious food!, Super nice humans!, Location, location, location!
Cons: Please put Bragg's on the tables :)
AMT
AMT

Beautiful place for breakfast

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2013

Wow! As visitors from Las Vegas, we were super happy with the WONDERFUL service and delicious food served at the A N D Cafe. Will be returning!

Pros: Very nice owners, Yummy food
Cons: No Las Vegas location
cattyshedevil
cattyshedevil

addicted

3 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

I'm addicted to their fast service and their hollonaise sauce on the nests!
I called to pick up an order 10 min before they opened and they were awesome! I picked it up 20 min later without a worry in the world. They have a long-time regular.

Pros: location, amazing food, fast service
Cons: pricey, need to be open on tues
notameat
notameat

Added to my Best list

5 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2013

1st Visit just before they closed. Great service and outstanding food. We live in Washougal, WA and we will still drive to eat here. We are coming back on Saturday for breakfast. We had lunch the first time. But I want to try their nest breakfasts.

Pros: Outstanding food, Great value, Great service
Cons: Close at 3 pm
mindymvegan
mindymvegan

Absolutely Amazing Breakfast Joint!!

5 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

I used to drive down from Gresham every 2 weeks to come here and get waffles with a tofu scramble. Yum. Now I live around the corner and will be going more often. Great GF selection and some good sandwiches as well. I like their hollanaise sauce with the little stackable tofu things. I can't think of the name but they're so good.

Pros: gluten free selection, amazing waffles, great service
Cons: short hours
devinw
devinw

One of my favorites!

5 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2012

One of my favorite nearby Portland vegan places, owned by my friends who operate the Off The Griddle cart nearby. Extremely creative menu (Jackfruit Tacos!! So good) that changes frequently. Awesome brunch food. What more can I say? Ya'll rock.

Pros: Great food, Brunch
Cons: None!
VintageVariety
VintageVariety

Meatloaf Benedict

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2012

Breakfast is so good. I got the meatloaf benedict w/tofu (you can get eggs if you choose). It was great. The raw key lime pie was good too. Can't wait to try something new although it will be hard to not order the meatloaf bennedict.

Pros: good, friendly, fresh
Cons: none
greenvegan
greenvegan

Delicious Treat for Gluten-Intolerant Vegans

5 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2011

This cafe just opened up and it is a real asset to the local veg community. Just about everything on the menu is vegan and gluten-free and those things that aren't are easily substituted for things that are. The food is delicious, the staff is delightful, and the atmosphere is great. I recommend trying the specials; when I went they were having a pumpkin cheesecake waffle that was absolutely amazing.

Pros: gluten-free, mostly vegan, great staff
Cons: on a busy street, closed Mondays and Tuesdays

Dear Owner and Manager of A N D Cafe:

Thank you for being a Plus FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Portland page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/03/07