Health food store with a cafe inside. Stocks herbal teas, bulk herbs, nutritional vitamins and supplements, frozen and dried food, and more. Established in 1971. more-less
9341 Katy Freeway (Echo Ln)
Houston, Texas 77024

lilfarrah28
lilfarrah28

Not a fan

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2012

I wasn't convinced their vegetarian chili was vegetarian at all. Could of saved $5 & made a better quality veggie burger myself. I will say their soups were very good (large portions), satisfying.

Pros: quick service
Cons: not so friendly staff, expired store products, over priced
pesceveg
pesceveg

cool name, but not at all vegetarian

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2009

I tried very hard to find this place, when i did i wqas sorry i did, its like a health food store chock full of expired products with a restaraunt that by no means should even be identified as a vegetarian one. Unless the term vegetarian is now so loose as it allows for the eating of buffalo, yes, i said buffalo.I didn't eat there for fear of beef stock or chicken fat in any type of sauce, or rennet in the cheese. Not wanting to break my no red meat streak that i like to uphold i wouldn't step foot in there again.

Pros: cool name
Cons: buffalo!, beef?!?
Stormy
Stormy

Disappointing Fajitas

Posted on 11 / 23 / 2008

I know a lot of people who like this place, but I was so disappointed with this restaurant. In a town with many good vegetarian/veg friendly restaurants, like Hobbit Cafe, Pepper Tree, Field of Greens, etc., I was expecting more than unseasoned, undercooked tofu. To be honest, it's just insulting. We ate there around 8:00 pm on Saturday night, and it was pretty deserted, so maybe it's not their best time. But they don't close until 9:00, so there was no reason to be so unfriendly.

I had the Vegetarian Fajitas w/ Tofu, and while the black beans and rice were fine and the pico de gallo was fresh and tasty, the tofu was JIGGLY and completely UNSEASONED. I was shocked, especially since they describe themselves as "Healthy/Vegetarian, Tex-Mex." "Tex-Mex" implies, oh, SPICES or something.

When my husband consulted with the person who took our order about this, as well as the miserly amount of mushrooms in his Portobello Fajitas (maybe 1/8 of a finely chopped mushroom cap was hiding in a sea of green pepper strips), he was told "they always cook it this way."

The counter service was sullen and unfriendly, and an unpleasant smell of vitamins from their retail area pervades the dining room. There were no "comment cards" available for the comment box...the rack was empty. Frankly, we felt uncomfortable, as if we were inconveniencing the staff in some way. There were 3 other groups there when we arrived.

Green tea and tofu may be healthy, but I can get the same thing for the same price at Hobbit Cafe with flavor, music, and a smile.

Review by Stormy

Pros: healthy food, desserts looked appealing
Cons: lacked seasoning, staff was sullen and unfriendly, miserly amount of portobello in fajitas

sunshinee
sunshinee

pretty good!

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2008

-the vegetarian chilli is awesome but is probably not very healthy. it tastes quite rich..like it reminds me of those thick buttery soups from la madeleine.
-i have tried the lasagna and it tastes like it is made with tofu shirataki or something? i don't know-they were kind of watery and bland. -desserts are sooo yummy, especially the lemon squares!!
-i don't think the majority of the items on the menu are healthy/low fat so i only eat there once in awhile.
-the greek salad dressing is good!
-i used to eat here like once a week when i wasn't too into my now "healthy low fat mostly greens 95% vegan diet" and whenever i would get takeout they would always forget to put things in and i guess it's my fault too since i didn't make sure, but almost everytime if i didn't remind them something would be missing!
-most meals are around $10-15 if you get a dessert

Pros: less than 10 mins away, good veg chilli, fairly big portions
Cons: not that healthy, forgetful staff
aledogma
aledogma

One of my favs

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2008

It's a health food store?
It's a restaurant that meat eaters, health freaks, and vegans can all enjoy?
In Houston, no less?
I love the place - walk in, go to the left, stock up on healthy, vegetarian, vegan, macrobiotic, and/or organic fare. They sell food, herbs, drinks, snacks, health & beauty products & supplements in a compact but easy to navigate shop.
Go to the right, and hit the restaurant. The offerings vary from vegan, to organic, locally grown meat meals.
As a vegetarian, I am partial to the seasonal gazpacho soup, the vegetarian lasagna (can also be made vegan with a simple request) and the hummingbird food cake.
I have brought many a meat eater/non-believer to eat here and have yet to have any one leave hungry or dissatisfied.
It feels homey - like you're hanging out in your quirky aunt's farmhouse.
The atmosphere is relaxed, and prices are reasonable for the area. (Memorial HS is within walking distance.)
One of my favorite go-to restaurants the food never fails to please. I've been eating there often since 2001 and have never had a bad experience.

Pros: food/portions, selection, shop on premises
Cons: can't think of one!

Dear Owner and Manager of A Moveable Feast Store: