This cooperative market is open to the public, and members, students, seniors receive discounts. Became an all vegetarian store since late 2006. Organic products, fresh fruits and vegetables, bulk grain, mockmeats, packaged sandwiches, vegan ice cream, and more. more-less
58 E 4th St (Bowery & 2nd Ave, Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10003
212-674-3623

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Bill K

4th Street Food Co-op

4 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2011

I was on my way to meet a friend down the street at Atlas Cafe and was a little early, so I decided to take a walk in the area and found this wonderful co-op. While it's small, they have a lot to offer (I won't go into detail because the reviewers below already have) such as many bulk items, vegenaise, daiya, etc. The man running the store told me to let him know if there was anything that I'd like to see in the store and they'd get it. With that said, if you live in NYC, I suggest becoming a member of this co-op because they're super friendly and will order items that you want.

A must for stocking vegan pantries

5 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2010

I am a member of the co-op for the past year a half, but it's been around since the 1970's. This is a great place to stock up on all bulk pantry items such as flours, grains, beans, nuts, herbs, spices, tea, coffee, dried fruit, seaweed, olives, tofu, chocolate and more. The co-op carries liquid bulk items like olive oil, canola oil, vinegars, maple syrup, tamari, Dr. Bronners, and dish/laundry soap. Bring empty containers or buy at the store--buying bulk saves money and reduces packaging, therefore helping the environment.

We focus on small farmers and producers and seek out local vendors. However we do carry some items from far away like fair trade bananas, chocolate, coffee, etc. We avoid multi-national conglomerate brand names. We receive fresh produce 4 times per week, check the website for specific deliveries. In summer we get a lot of locally grown greens, tomatoes, squash, berries, etc.

This co-op is a great community--it's the first place in New York that I've fallen into conversation while shopping--and this was before I started to know people there. If you're going to be doing vegetarian cooking in NYC, start here. And while the co-op does always need members, you need not be a member to shop. The public pays reasonably low, not-for profit prices. Members get a discount on top of that. If you're new to NY, considering joining as a working or non-working member, it's a very satisfying way to contribute to the community and help the environment while also getting a discount on food!

Pros: extensive bulk selection, friendly, local
Cons: small

support your local co-op!

4 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2006

This is a tiny, tiny place where most of the daily food essentials can be bought, but there is not shelf space for much else. A very good selection of produce, and during the growing season the members and staffers obtain as much locally- and regionally-grown produce as possible, often making deals with and buying from the organic farmers at the Union Square Greenmarket. Therefore, your food is fresher than the stuff of dubious age and quality, grown thousands of miles away, that is sold at most NYC health food stores. As a co-op, profit is not the motivation for this store's existence and the sense of purpose and camaraderie, as well as loyalty to the project, among its members is high. Open seven days; non-members can shop here as well.

Pros: non-profit co-op, fresh, local produce

Dear Owner and Manager of 4th Street Food Co-op: