Casual vegan restaurant. See website for menu and directions. Lunch is buffet, dinner is a la carte. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Buffet, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out
222 North End Road, West Kensington
West London, England W14 9NU
020-73812322

Call for hours - tell us

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by MrFalafel
Pamina
Pamina

All-vegan buffet - hurray!!!

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2014

I had lunch in this restaurant after visiting Stamford Bridge and found it an enjoyable experience to see a small part of Fulham and "non-touristic London" by making my way to this restaurant. I was also excited to see an all-vegan buffet and for just £7,50! Everything was absolutely delicious - there was carrot cake, avocado salad, mashed potatoes, several vegetables dishes, rice with lentil/chick peas (similar to dhal), and even more.
The desserts on the menu also sounded fantastic, but sadly I was absolutely full and couldn't eat anymore.
I really recommend this place for lunch - I cannot comment on how dinner is, though, as I didn't try it.

Pros: 100% vegan buffet, Delicious food, Affordable price
Cons: Quite a way from London's main sights
EmilyBennett3050
EmilyBennett3050

Very tasty food but wait times can be long....

2 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2014

I live in west London and have eaten at 222 many times. The menu is wonderful and caters for veggies/vegans and those who prefer to eat wheat-free, gluten-free, raw and organic. There are a number of dishes that keep me coming back for more. My absolute favourite, Ben's Special, is to die for: stir-fry with noodles (or choice of brown rice), vegetables and seitan. I also love the cream of mushroom soup when it is made available through the daily specials. What I'm not a fan of is the prolonged wait time. It is not unusual to wait in excess of 45 mins for food to arrive. On one occasion when the restaurant was around a third full, my party of four waited over an hour for our dinner to be served. I was ravenous by the time that the meal arrived and there was no apology from staff. While I understand that the food is freshly prepared, I find this kind of wait time simply unacceptable. 222 is one of London's best-loved vegan restaurants and it is worth a visit, but make sure you bring a good book and have a snack beforehand - long wait times are an ongoing issue here.

Pros: Fresh food, tastes and textures are amazing
Cons: Wait time is unacceptable
sweet-toof
sweet-toof

favourite for dinner in London

5 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2014

Everything is vegan. Everything we tried was brilliant! The roast, the chili sin carne, the crumble with raspberry icecream!

Tiggy
Tiggy

Standard of food not up to the price

3 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2014

This restaurant was relatively close to where we were staying, so we came here for dinner on an evening in late June. After being seated by charming wait staff I looked at the menu and decided to order the special: spinach tart with vegetables and a Napoli-type sauce. The smoothie I ordered arrived first and was nice, if a little thin. When the tart came I was surprised to see that, rather than a being served as a wedge, it had been cut into little pieces, all of which had little flavour, with only the sauce to give it any taste. The accompanying vegetables were similarly bland. My partner's pasta basilico was tasty but the pasta was overcooked to the point of breaking up and was drowning in sauce, rather than the two components complementing each other. I was also a bit surprised we weren't offered water, because the air conditioning was broken (or something) and it was stiflingly hot inside. I came here alone a week or two later and the staff were obliging although I was there very late. This time I ordered the cream of asparagus soup, which wasi fine. My main, the oyster mushroom and spinach raclette was also OK but not as tasty as I might have wanted for £11.95. I think that the flavour to price ratio here leaves something to be desired.

Pros: Pleasant staff
Cons: Food not great, sometimes poor, Prices too high for the standard
Lampbell
Lampbell

Take a book

2 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2014

My husband and I, both vegan, happily visited here last night for dinner based on the recommendations. While the food is decent, it was definitely not our best meal in London so far and not worth the 75 minute wait until it came to the table. We understand that this wait time is a regular occurrence here.

The table next to us waited equally long, had one person not only served well after the others, but that person ended up with the wrong dish.

The stroganoff was in a heavy sauce. The vegan roast was good. Accompanying vegetables were, to our palate, somewhat oily. We skipped desert, which looked good based on the table next to ours, as we were concerned about how long it would take to arrive.

A tip - we found a far better and fabulous 'regular' Asian restaurant in Kensington that had plenty of vegan options. Do keep your eye out for alternatives, especially if, at the end of a long day of sightseeing, you are hungry and want your meal within a reasonable time frame.

Chris W
Chris W

Nice food - Service can be very slow

3 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2014

Whilst the menu descriptions don't always sound that exciting, the food is nearly always good here. My one reservation with the food is that the seitan based dishes tend to contain tiny amounts of seitan - 2 or 3 small strips in the stroganoff and a tiny amount in the roast.

The other problem that I have encountered is that the wait between courses can be really long. I like not feeling rushed in restaurants, but have encountered 50 minute waits between courses. The staff are always friendly and apologetic when this happens!

Judging by other reviews maybe I have had some bad luck - I have only been 4 or 5 times so am not a regular. I always want to love any all vegan restaurant!

So I would say that this is a good restaurant - but a bit inconsistent. With a few improvements it could be so much better.
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 26, 2014

Pros: Pretty good food, Friendly staff, Reasonably priced
Cons: Can be a very long wait between courses, Inconsistent portion sizes
Barbara Primo
Barbara Primo

I liked but I would not go crazy

4 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2014

Nice relaxed restaurant, I loved my dinner here but I was surprised about the difference of quality between starters (very good and tasty artichokes) and main dish, a little bland and banal (seitan Stroganoff).
The cake, a raw chocolate one, was wonderful.

NicEvans
NicEvans

Scrummy scram at 222

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2014

Not being of the creative cooking-type, my vegan options in the kitchen are pretty limited, boring really. So an opportunity to go to a restaurant where the whole menu was dedicated to vegan food seemed like heaven. There is an array of options, which was so difficult to choose from that we went back a month later to tuck into other dishes on the menu.
This restaurant serves up great portions of home cooked, tasty classics. There is something on the menu for everyone. I had the raw food, yep they have a raw selection too, avocado cold soup to start. Followed by tofu mushroom stroganoff. Others had the homemade humus and dips and the creamy mushroom soup, followed by risotto and creamy mushrooms and potato gratin.
The desserts were heavenly, warm pancakes with chocolate ice cream and crumble. What more could you ask for. Oh yeah, alcohol. The wines and beers were all vegan too.
It wasn't a one off either, on our return visit we were served up generous portions once again of really tasty food.
For someone like me who is a completely bore in the kitchen, this place is pretty special. It offers a wide range of options, lots of yummy desserts and you leave with your belly fully of good, wholesome home-cooked food. What more could a girl ask for? Well, maybe a little room so I don't throw my pint glass of water across the room with my swinging bag. Other than the sheer embarrassment of the whole restaurant staring at me for those few seconds I loved my night out being vegan and not worrying about whether I was going to starve on a salad.

Pros: good service, yummy, fresh food, everything is vegan
imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Wonderful, delicious, healthy food

5 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2014

I came here for dinner last night and it was a great experience all round. The food was delicious and beautifully presented (I had a bean and tofu pancake for a starter and an oyster mushroom and spinach clapette for main). I also chatted to some lovely visiting Australians sitting on the table next to me, who also had some really tasty-looking food! Sadly I didn't have room for dessert, but I was extremely tempted when I saw other diners' cakes and ice creams passing by. The service was excellent with very friendly and helpful waiting staff. Unsurprisingly, on this Friday night the restaurant was extremely busy and it took a little while to get a table, but it was well worth the wait.

Pros: Amazing high-quaity food, Lovely, friendly staff, Beautiful space
Cons: Very busy!
Vegan Hobo
Vegan Hobo

Busy, tasty place

4 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2014

Went here with some friends on a Tuesday night having booked a table "just in case", and were we glad we did as the restaurant was full.

The menu is pretty extensive and also offers raw options. My friends had eaten here several times and could recommend several of the dishes. I went for the seitan stroganoff and wasn't disappointed - it was lovely and rich and I struggled to finish it.

We had a couple of issues with the service where two of our meals were brought first but one of us had to wait a long time for our main and also a wrong dish was brought. These issues were resolved though and the waiter was so lovely about it we were almost embarrassed to say anything. They also comped our drinks without us asking as an apology. Dealt with the situation really well.

Pros: Well thought out menu, Lovely staff
jon active
jon active

Probably the best vegan food in London

5 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2014

"best" is subjective in that there are Indian restaurants who do great food that 222 never attempts and cafes like The Black Cat in Hackney offer great food much cheaper than 222. Those qualifications aside 222 offers wonderful healthy food. The current menu seems to be on a mission to prove that vegan fayre can creamy in texture too! Last week I had the butternut squash rissotto and the Chefs special stir fry. Both were excellent. Vegetables cooked to perfection and flavoured delightfully. The raw chocolate cake is gorgeous, thick, luscious, creamy and decadent. If you don't add wine to your bill it not too expensive and for special events this place is still my favourite London restaurant despite it being on the other side of the capital.
One downside is that it's often busy at weekends, you need to book, and can be both over warm and noisy inside.
Updated from previous review on Thursday January 23, 2014

Updated from previous review on Thursday January 23, 2014

I finally got to try the 222 daytime buffet today. We happened to be ita and what a revelation! if 222's al la carte menu in the evening is too expensive for you to enjoy often then the lunchtime buffet is perfect. I am used to the buffets at places like Indian veg and the Thai Veg Veg franchises but 222 is a step above. The food is enthused with a sense of quality. The simple (!) chick pea curry was so delightfully mild and yet tasty it surpassed all the ones I can remember ever eating at any Indian restaurants (besides perhaps Jai krishna). There were some little moist savoury cake things and beautifully done plantain it was difficult to stop eating! And the cost is still £7.50, which must be 222's modus operandi of spreading the vegan message. My partner for today's feast is lucky enough to live close by and intends to do more lunches at 222, I will consider cycling over from Hackney to join her because both are worth the effort.

Pros: Marvelous imaginative nosh, Friendly service, All vegan
Cons: Expensive (lunchtime buffet cheap), In West London, Busy
JonJon
JonJon

Nice vegan place!

4 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

The place is really pleasant, with warm colours on the walls. The staff is friendly and the food is 100% vegan and tasty. We had a very nice dinner, dishes were good from the starter to the dessert. However, some dishes were a little bit drowned in sauce and we consequently lost the expression of the different flavours of the numerous ingredients. But their desserts were really yummy! Go there if you're in the area.

Pros: 100% vegan with great desserts, warm atmosphere, friendly staff
Cons: some dishes are too much creamy, drowned in sauce
elrujo
elrujo

CLOSE TO CHELSEA? GO & EAT HERE

4 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2014

definitely the number one veg place in the area
super friendly people and the food a la carte is great too

Pros: great food on the menu, friendly people
Cons: food during lunch is not the best, small restaurant
KellyJanssen
KellyJanssen

Amazing restaurant

5 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2014

This restaurant was simply amazing. Went there with my carnivore boyfriend and he loved it.

The atmosphere is great, the food is incredible and the people are very kind. I spoke with the cook, Ben, and his passion about vegan food is contagious.

As a vegan eating out isn't always that simple. But when I go to London again, I will totally visit this place again. The only hard thing here is to make a decision between al those great meals.

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, The cook!
VeganNatasha
VeganNatasha

all you can eat buffet

5 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2014

The all you can eat buffet was so tasty and the staff are really friendly! Definitely will come here again! Dessert was lovely too :)

BlisterBlue
BlisterBlue

Simple but delicious!!!

5 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2013

We tried the "all you can eat" lunch buffet today for 7£50;
The place is quite small and cosy but you can reserve a table if needed.
They have a small but delicious buffet with salads of all sorts (quinoa, avocado, kale, beetroot...) and a choice of 6 or 7 hot dishes. My fav was the "beans in a creamy cashew sauce with brown rice", wow just couldn't stop eating! Their spinach lasagna was also perfect!
We couldn't have a dessert as we had already eaten too much :-P
The staff is really nice and the place is clean.
Too bad we will not be able to go back there this time to taste the "raclette" for dinner.

Pros: all vegan, cheap lunch buffet, tasty food
Aditi
Aditi

Fine if you're in the area

3 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2013

We visited on a Sunday lunchtime as part of a family day out in London. I had heard great things about the buffet and was also looking forward to trying the famous Spice Island Pie for dessert. The staff were friendly, and we were delighted to hear that they wouldn't be charging us for the child's meal. Unfortunately we were a little disappointed with the buffet - only a small selection of dishes, and no real signs of the creative and interesting ideas that are present on the evening menu. Several of the desserts were sold out, so we gave that a miss in the end.
If I lived nearby, I would probably visit fairly regularly for a solid, healthy lunch. However, I don't think 222 is exciting enough for a special trip - not at lunchtime, anyway.

Pros: Free child's meal, Flavoursome basics, Good value
Cons: Narrow selection, Desserts sold out, Greasy spoon style tables
clark
clark

delicious, satisfying food

5 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2013

We ate dinner here on a recent layover in London and our only regret was that we didn't have time to come back for another meal. It was some of the most satisfying vegan cuisine we've had anywhere and we've been to quite a few places around the world. The seitan stroganoff and risotto dishes we tried were both excellent as was their vegan ice cream. We found the staff to be pleasant and the space inviting. It was packed on the Friday night we were there so it might be a good idea to call ahead and make a reservation.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, inviting space
Mulberry1345
Mulberry1345

222 Veggie Vegan

3 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2013

Il ne faut pas s'attendre à des plats incroyables mais cela reste néanmoins un restaurant qui vous fera passer un moment agréable.

Pros: Buffet peu cher, Bons desserts
Cons: Pas très original, Relativement peu de choix dans le buffet
Catherine0786
Catherine0786

Great food! Great vibes!

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

Talk about hitting the jackpot! This little restaurant with relaxed, mellow atmosphere served up amazing, freshly prepared, hearty vegan fare. The service was excellent and even as the place filled (we arrived right at the opening) we were never rushed. We felt a special vibe of joy in this place and will certainly be back for more love - i mean gourmet vegan dishes!,

Pros: Gourmet vegan, Pleasant, low key atmosphere, Fresh and healthy
niallmc
niallmc

mmmmm

4 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2013

Great place for lunch. Excellent all you can eat vegan buffet, always a good mix of 4 salads and 4 hot dishes.
Plenty of vegan cakes and good value.

Pros: all vegan, good value all you can eat, clean
Cons: a little small, No real variation in menu
Hummelelfe
Hummelelfe

Absolutely delicious

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2013

I went there for the lunch buffet twice during my stay in London, once on my own and once with a friend who is also a vegetarian.
Both times the food was absolutely delicious and filling. There is a nice choice of different salads as well as a choice of hot dishes. Some of the dishes (eg. most of the salads, the brown rice and an absiolutely heavenly carrot cake) were available on both times I went there while some others (eg. the vegetable stew, once with chickpeas and once with lentils) changed.
I will definitely go there again when I am in London again, as it was very nice, the staff is really friendly and the food absolutely gorgeous.

Pros: delicious, inexpensive, friendly staff + great atmosphere
gen6
gen6

Good, filling food

4 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2013

I visited 222 once last year, and I am planning to go again soon. I enjoyed the food which was very tasty with decent portion sizes. Enjoyed the casual atmosphere of the venue too

Beautiful GM free, Vegan Food in London

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2013

My Mother & I have been making the 70-mile round trip to 222 for about 9 years now. Ben Asamani (Owner/Chef) is a beautiful Soul & truly puts has Love & passion for cooking & the vegan lifestyle into every dish. The restaurant is always busy (booking highly recommended) & full of a really great mix of people. 222 does not compromise on its intention to feed its customers beautifully prepared, GM free, high organic, vegan food at a great price point. Food is made to order so be prepared to wait a little longer than you may be used to- It is truly worth it. If you are looking for a beautiful, warm, bustling yet relaxed environment for a great night out, or simply a great plate of vegan food, 222 is the place you've been looking for. Thank you Ben for living your Mission!

pefff
pefff

Great place!

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

Visited 222 a few weeks ago with some friends. So refreshing to see a completely vegan menu! I'm always pleased when I can't decide what to eat. Two of my friends are carnivores and were very happy with their food!

Great food, guy taking our order got a little confused about my friends wine order but other than that perfect. Great atmosphere but it can get quite warm.

Try the Spice Island Pie!

Pros: Atmosphere, Delicious, Reasonable prices
Cons: Small, Hot
emzie1983
emzie1983

Delicious and healthy

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2013

Went with a group for the lunch buffet.

Although there is a small selection relative to some buffets (about 5 hot and 5 cold dishes), there was plenty there to provide you with a delicious, filling yet healthy lunch.

The cold selection offered a range of salads, including coleslaw, beans and mixed salad, which were all really tasty and well flavoured.
The hot options included rice, plantain and some delicious creamy chickpeas.

We were impressed with the drinks menu, and sampled the organic lagers, fresh juices and cereal coffee.

Despite being full after the buffet, we forced ourselves to order a couple of desserts to share! We ordered the tofu cheesecake and a spiced almond/cashew slice, similar to a cheesecake. Both were rich and tasty, and even my slightly sceptical meat eating friends were pleasantly surprised by how good they tasted despite having no cream/dairy in them!!

The restaurant was small, so probably worth booking. The lunch buffet is really good value for large portions of interesting, tasty and healthy food.
I will definitely be going back, either for the lunch buffet again, or to sample the great looking evening menu!!

Pros: Good value, Healthy, Delicious, varied food
KatieBatty
KatieBatty

Fantastic, healthy and amazing

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

This place is great! The food is as good as the top vegan restaurants in New York but it is much cheaper.

I had the cream of mushroom soup which was the most amazing soup I had ever had. My partner had the cream of tomato soup which was sooooo flavoursome.

For the main I had the vegan roast which was INCREDIBLE. Amazing mash with onion gravy. My partner had the risotto which was great.

For dessert we shared the apple crumble with ice-cream which was really, really good! Definitely a must-try.

Very nice service as well.

Pros: All vegan, AMAZING food
OneNightStanzas
OneNightStanzas

222, WE LOVE YOU

5 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2013

I would agree with the reviewers who've said this is one of the best vegan places ANYWHERE -- I am also a well-travelled vegan and this place goes straight in my all-time top 10!

My bloke and I headed to 222 for dinner, firstly. We were seated by a friendly and helpful waiter and were spoilt for choice when it came to the menu! So many tasty-sounding options! In the end, we went for 1 x artichoke hearts and 1 x pitta/dips as starters. The artichoke hearts were so flippin' delicious! We spent ages trying to figure out what they were cooked in, herbs-wise, because we wanted to try and make them ourselves! So delicious! And although it's a pretty standard starter, even the pittas came with GREAT guacamole and a delicious red pepper dip, all beautifully presented, too.

For main course, I had the seitan stroganof, because the menu said it was a customer favourite. I can see why! It was gobsmackingly good! It was one of those dishes where you're not quite sure HOW it can be vegan, it was so creamy and rich... amazing. My bloke had the vegan roast and was similarly impressed... it comes with A TOWER (that's really the only way to describe it) of crispy mashed potato, and the seitan is perfectly cooked. WE WERE SO HAPPY.

We were way too full afterwards to have dessert right then, but the dessert menu looked so good that we felt we had to try one... so the staff very kindly packaged up two desserts for us to take away :) We both picked the raw option, unfortunately I can't remember its name, but it was a cheesecake-type affair, I think with 'spice' in the name? Anyway, it was just as good as everything else and just topped off the excellent experience!

Our only complaint was being sat in a far corner, miles from the air con and right by the kitchen, on a roasting hot day! The place was nearly empty so it seemed a bit cruel!

Running out of characters (SO MUCH LOVE FOR THIS PLACE GUYS), but we came back a couple of days later for the buffet lunch. This was also fab. Amazing to find an all-you-can-eat affair where EVERYTHING is vegan! Highlights: the curried chickpeas, the carrot tart and the avocado and pea salad. We ate so much that we could barely walk, but it was all too good to pass up! We had to try everything! Once again, the staff were lovely, friendly and suprisingly attentive for a serve-yourself-buffet set up. IF I COULD GIVE THIS PLACE SIX HAPPYCOWS I WOULD! I defy you to find a better vegan meal in London!

Pros: Amazing food, great choice, big portions, Lovely friendly and helpful staff!, VEGAN DESSERTS OMG
Cons: No cons, none whatsoever, This place is magical, Go. Go right now!
larrynfa
larrynfa

Well worth the trip, great food!!!

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2013

I wasn't really expecting much based on the unassuming front and hadn't read any reviews before going. Boy was I surpised. I had one of the best vegan meals I have had anywhere. Not just in London, but anywhere i have traveled and I am from new york where there are many many vegan options. Every dish was fantastic. Cream of mushroom soup was very delicious and filling. Artichoke was great and large enough portion for two. Seitan Stroganoff was perfect. Service was very friendly and helpful. Food came quickly, portions were large and filling. Price was not too much. Am planning on going tomorrow for the lunch buffet and unfortunately I am leaving to go back to NY the next day so I will have to wait until my next trip to London to enjoy this sensation food and people again!

Pros: Delicious food, Great chef and service, good price and good portions
Cons: No cons at all!
lusmurf
lusmurf

222 Veg Melts in your Mouth

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2013

222 Veg in London is beyond one of my favorites! Even though I am not 100% veg, I prefer coming to 222 Veg of any other spots. I have many veg friends who adore this place and have brought some other non-veg friends who cannot believe the absolute amazing quality & taste of the food! Ben, the owner & chef, is super charming & health-conscious. He believes in using only the healthiest of ingredients. He is an inspiration & a true believer in putting only the finest & freshest into our bodies.

I highly recommend the Spinach Raclette-- this dish is the ultimate melt in your mouth! You must try Ben's soups -- super fresh and yummy! Everything on the menu is exceptional. For dessert, you must try the Spice Island Pie --Whoa!

I cannot say enough about this 'to die for' dining experience. I travel around the world and have been all over the world dining. Ben's 222 Veg is at the top of the list! Thanks, Ben. Your friend in New York!

Pros: all healthy ingredients -- no sugars, so tasty, amazing owner, Ben
Cons: absolutely none
Steffi Giraffe
Steffi Giraffe

Food heaven for vegans

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2013

A wonderful balance between fine dining and hearty homemade food. There is a good variation in their options and all deliver great flavour combinations and well-thought-out ingredients. After dining here, you really get the sense that there is no excuse for vegetarian restaurants not to be fully vegan.

Pros: Great choice for vegans
Cons: Quite a small place - best to book
DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

Simple and great!

5 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2013

Everyday food tasting delicious! Everything was well prepared and looked very healthy!
The desert was remarkable: crepe with vanilla ice cream. Probably the best vegan ice cream I've ever had (I kind of think about it everyday hahaha)

Pros: price, well prepared, VANILLA ICE CREAM
ChristianaHasldorf
ChristianaHasldorf

Very tasty!

4 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2013

I had a raw option which was very delicious and a large portion. Then the raw chocolate cake I will never forget! My friend who is a non-vegetarian loved the food too. The only thing we did not like was that we had to bear the smell from the kitchen and our eyes were burning.

Pros: excellent food, big portion
SCos
SCos

Healthy, fresh and so tasty!

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2013

The lunch buffet was probably the best I've ever had. The combination of flavours was totally perfect.

For dessert we had apple crumble with raspberry soy ice cream. It was too good!

Facepalm: A muslim customer there sent her seitan stroganoff portion back to the kitchen because she could not believe that it did not contain any pork.

Pros: Friendly staff, Light and open restaurant, High quality ingredients
Cons: Too delicious!
Miggi
Miggi

Fresh Veggie Buffet Lunch

5 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2013

Tried the buffet lunch - 5 hot and 5 cold dishes. You help yourself and eat as much as you like for 7.50 (5.50 take away box). Delicious fresh tasting salads and hot dishes.
We had to try the spice island pie and chocolate cake with ice cream. Both were gorgeous - proper fudgy chocolate cake. Other reviewers have said how hard it is to believe the spice island pie is raw and vegan.
Ooh and I also recommend the banana apple and cinnamon smoothie.
Nice atmosphere, friendly service and no rush.

Pros: All Vegan, Desserts, Buffet
Aiden Shaw
Aiden Shaw

IRRESISTIBLE!

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2013

Luckily for me this cafe/buffet/restaurant is as near to my home as central London ones. Here, now, I want to be clear. 1. Daytimes - they have the best buffet of any place in the world i've been to. 2. Their vegan desert are just so damn good. 3. There's one in particular that should be on everybody's bucket list. It's called Spice Island Pie. Ok, get this, it's Raw, Wheat free, Gluten free and Sugar free. Seriously, what mire could you possibly want from a desert! On top of that - and i'm a very disciplined eater, it's the only desert in this universe that i simply can't say no to. (& no it doesn't speak, but if it did it would say "I Love You").

Pros: Great value, friendly, A M A Z I N G food
Cons: none, nothing , no
LaraJames
LaraJames

Nice and unpretentious

3 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2013

Not too elaborate menu, but food is tasty and well made.
Laid back atmosphere and kind staff.
Delicious raw cheescake.
Wine list could be improved?

Alessiaromya
Alessiaromya

Cheap And healthy vegan buffet

5 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2013

I use to have lunch in this restaurant because I think it s really convenient and the quality of the food is really good . the buffet is not so huge but you can find a good selection of different dish .I definetively recommend it

Pros: Cheap , Friendly staff , Good value
AlessandroPalmesi
AlessandroPalmesi

One Of My Favourite Vegan Buffet Ever!

5 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2013

Very good and healthy food, wide selection of hot and cold food. Unlimited buffet. delicious vegan and raw cakes! very friendly staff.
Updated from previous review on Monday March 18, 2013

Pros: Food , Place , Value
Cons: Nothing
  • Aiden Shaw Aiden Shaw

i agree with you completely about the food and staff. the man who runs it/chef is such a nice fellow.

amyyarwood89
amyyarwood89

wow!

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

I was so impressed by this place.I live in Manchester where I struggle to find vegan restaurants so I was eager to try this place when the opportunity arose. I took along my aunt who is a head tutor on a hospitality and catering course at MMU and my 74 years old meat eating Grandmother so I knew the standards has to be high to persuade this table!

The food was beautifully cooked and presented and considering we had an elegant three course meal and a £20 bottle of wine, the final bill rang in at just over £80 which I though was impressive.

I would struggle to find any fault other than location (Move up north 222 vegi!) as the waitress was lovely and the interiors where very inviting too.

Highly recommended and admired

Pros: food choice, price, friendly staff
  • Aiden Shaw Aiden Shaw

i agree. re location, it deserves to be more famous and central. it's sooooo good. it's so understated, which is refreshing now a days.

vanessa2
vanessa2

Excellent cooking, imaginative dishes

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2012

222 offers the best vegan food in London, and must be one of the best restaurants in Europe for vegetarians and vegans. While some better known places in central London come with a great deal of hype and loud media types, 222 has a relaxing, simple setting with many local, multicultural guests and their service, atmosphere and above all the dishes are superb. I particularly enjoy their raw food main courses and absolutely fabulous puddings (all vegan, something that other better known restuarants in London simply cannot do), my favourite being Island Pie and Raw Chocolate Torte. Finally, the restaurants is an excellent value for money, in particular when you look at the quality of the ingredients they use. An absolute paradise for vegans and anyone interested in healthy eating.

I have been many times but unfortuantely I cannot think of any cons, only pros.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, goodm valyue
Cons: there is only one 222, there should be more and in other areas
Jayneisastarr
Jayneisastarr

Simply Excellent Vegan Food

5 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2012

222 Veggie Vegan is without a doubt one of the best vegetarian restaurants in London. The tofu pancake starter is amazing, there are main courses to suit any appetite or taste, and the cheesecake dessert is delicious; just when you think you can't fit any more in! The decor of the restaurant is simple, but it does the job. I've been going here for over 4 years now and it never disappoints.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 09, 2012

Pros: Excellent food, Huge choice for vegans, Bean & tofu pancake
Cons: Never liked the name of the restaurant!
apriltui
apriltui

Excellent food

5 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2012

Been here a lot over the years. Fantastic selection, good quality, tasty and excellent value. gorgeous desserts. The lunch buffet is incredibly cheap. Nice selection of drinks. Only complaint would be the menu doesn't change much.

Pros: Great food, good value, large selection
Cons: menu doesn't change
  • Aiden Shaw Aiden Shaw

i hear you, but personally i wouldn't want it to change. they nail it. you must try their deserts. think you'd agree with me.

anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Superb

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

A superb vegan restaurant. The food was delicious and the portions were generous. The menu is tasty and artistic without the pretentiousness of some of the posher vegetarian places in London. We had the raw noodles, the mushroom stroganoff and the raw island-spiced tart for desert - all fantastic.

Pros: 100% vegan 100% delicious, Raw options, Great desserts
Joloco
Joloco

Excellent - one of the best

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2012

Firstly, it's pretty close to two tube stations (West Kensington or West Brompton), between 5 and 10 minutes walk. We visited on a Saturday evening in July 2012.

The staff were all friendly and attentive (but never overbearing), and it felt what I'd call "semi-posh" - by this I mean it has nice decor and ambience with classy music, but a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Best of both worlds! We found it to be solidly yet subtly vegan - there's no evangelism, it's carnivore-friendly so take your meat-eating friends there to open their eyes! (I didn't see any "alternative lifestyle leaflets" as one recent reviewer mentioned.)

There was a good range of food and drinks (both alcohol and soft) on the menu. We had a "Kicking Cola" which is an organic cola - great taste and refreshing - and a (bottled) Cherry & Apple Juice which was tangy and tasty.

We shared the Bean and Tofu Pancake to start, and it was incredible from the first bite! The tomato sauce was full of flavour and just the right side of spicy, and the vegan cream was incredibly creamy. The pancake was in that wonderful zone between chewy and crispy, and the filling was hearty and plentiful. The whole dish worked very well.

For the main course we had one Seitan Stroganof (deliciously creamy and decent portions of rice and stroganof, with great strips of seitan) and one Oyster Mushroom & Spinach Raclette (the whole dish was superb, with a rich creamy sauce, and excellent mushrooms). Both mains came with a small but well-presented side salad.

By now we were very full, but we wanted to see if the desserts were as good as the starter and mains! A 222 Pancake (ice cream in pancake topped with warm vanilla and chocolate sauce) finished us off nicely, along with two good fair trade coffees. Even though we were in there after the official closing time by now, the staff were happy for us to take our time, as they were setting up the buffet for the next day's lunchtime - we didn't feel rushed at all.

All the food was very well presented. It's amazing that all this is vegan! We've been eating vegan food for a year or two now, and we were still impressed by the range and quality at 222. The delicious creamy sauces were cashew-based, though didn't taste of cashews.

It really was a perfect meal. I can't think of anything they could have changed to make it better.

The evening dinner prices were "moderate" rather than "inexpensive" - but still good for the quality and portions.

Pros: Good range, Good quality, Good staff
VeganGlutton
VeganGlutton

Healthy, vegan food...best vegan buffet in London!

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2012

It has always bothered me that for all the years I have eaten great vegan food at 222 Veggie Vegan, (since turning vegan and leaving my vegetarian days behind me), I have actually never bothered to review this restaurant. Well here goes...

Along with Manna, '222' is the best veg*n restaurant in London. The Chef/Owner of '222' Ben has worked in many veg*n cafes over the years, but '222' is where his food has been at it's best, because as the actual owner of this restaurant, he can fully control the food that is offered.

To be able to sell food at 'comfortable' price points, the restaurant cannot provide 'gourmet food' like Manna. To balance fair prices with good food, in this off-prime West London venue, means that food which requires intensive preparation and more intricate 'finishing' needs to be kept off the menu...but then you still get great tasting, healthy vegan food at fantastic value for money! That suits me fine in any veg*n restaurant/cafe/pub that I eat in - moreover, at lunchtime, (12noon to 3pm), during the week and at weekends, a buffet is provided.

The buffet contains hot and cold dishes - the price is £7.50 and it is an 'all you can eat' buffet. I hear from so many veg*n friends that the 'pay per weight' of each plate at Tibits is expensive and the 'all you can eat' Chinese-based vegan food buffet joints serve unhealthy MSG laden food, but absolutely no such worries at '222' because fairness in food pricing and the healthy content and preparation of food, (no frying or micro-waving), at '222' are the values central to this vegan restaurant.

I hear through the grapevine that Ben is looking to open a gourmet vegan restaurant in London too, but until that happens, go and enjoy the great vegan food here. It is 5 minutes walk from West Brompton tube station, although there is meter-parking during the day, (free street parking after 6:30pm and on Sunday), and the restaurant accepts credit cards. No excuse not to go, but the restaurant contains about 40 seats, so you should reserve a table if going with friends at busy times. Enjoy!

Pros: Healthy vegan food, Fair prices, Great vegan desserts!
MuK-UK
MuK-UK

Hmmm...

2 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2012

Having read some of the other reviews I wonder if we just had a bad experience, but having had such a terrible meal there, I am in no rush to go back and find out. We ate off the menu in the evening. The venue was pleasant enough, as were the staff and my starter was okay. The rest of the food was very mundane and not very nice, and my desert was inedible (supposedly a pancake) except for the clearly shop bought vegan ice cream. Plenty of other options in London that are easier to get to, I'm afraid I won't be giving 222 a second chance.

Pros: Other people like it!
Cons: Not very nice food.
SojaEichhoernchen
SojaEichhoernchen

Carrot Tarte!

5 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2012

Very friendly little restaurant. Ben the head chef is a nice host. The buffet is delicious and the carrot tarte is the best food there.

after a delicious meal u have to try the ice cream. yummy yummy !!!

Pros: Carrot Tarte, Ben, Mood
Cons: Little local

Good food

3 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2012

We came here for a late lunch and found that the buffet was a little sparse at that time, however, the food seemed healthy and the staff friendly.

It feels a little bit alternative in here - Bob Marley playing in the background, alternative lifestyle leaflets on the tables, hippyish looking clientele etc.

I would like to come back to sample their a la carte menu as I think having a late lunch buffet properly didn't reflect how good the food would be fresh.

Pros: Friendly staff, Healthy food
Cons: Atmosphere is a bit 'alternative'
valenn
valenn

Great Food

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2012

I visited early on a Tuesday evening. I had the Tofu Pancakes, the Seitan Stroganov and the Spice Island Pie all of them excellent. Particularly the Spice Island Pie which was completely not what I expected (more like cheesecake than a pie) but really delicious. There was some added entertainment of the staff working out how to seat a table of 15 without moving there incumbant single customer.

Pros: Excellent Food, 100% Vegan, Excellet Wine
adc1984
adc1984

Excellent

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

Wonderful mains such as seitan stroganoff. Great selection of wines and beers. Nice warm and filling food.

Pros: Great food, Quiet
s_k_
s_k_

very nice buffet

4 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2012

The interior is a bit smaller and definitely less posh than the Web
site suggested, but nevertheless pleasant enough. I've only had the
lunch buffet, but it's both healthy and delicious: the hot offerings
are good and there's a variety of fresh salads. The food it on the
bland side, but it tasted good enough that I didn't try to find ways
to heat it up. At least for the lunch buffet, they make simple things
simply, and succeed, unlike some cleverer places.

Pros: fresh and healthy, not expensive, friendly staff
Cons: a bit far from central London
kezia
kezia

Worth the journey / Great tasty food :)

4 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2012

Having been a vegan living in London for the last 15 years, I've been to near enough every vegan restaurant / cafe there is, and I have to say that 222 is my favorite by far!
Ben the passionate vegan owner (originally from Ghana) serves up a delicious & very healthy vegan dishes
All of which is low-fat, low-salt and non-GM.
from 12.00-3.30 there is a lunch buffet, If your going there for the first time you have to try Bens carrot tart (a bit like vegan quiche) its absolutely delicious!
Also in the lunch buffet there is normally a healthy selection of salads, a stir frys, and a curry (my favorite is the Indian style Chana masala )
The lunch buffet is very reasonably priced at £7.50 (All you can eat :)
Then in the evening there is an A la carte menu which again has a great section of choices.
There is a deserts are great too, they range from chocolate cake with vegan ice cream to raw vegan deserts to apple crumble!
I live about an hours tube journey to 222, but the journey time for me doesn't come into it as I always enjoy my meal so much there.

Deis
Deis

Disappointing

2 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2012

I specifically wanted to visit 222 because they advertised a 'vegan chocolate gateau'. This turned out to be a dry sponge cake.

Celda
Celda

Great restaurant!

4 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2012

This is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. Very good food, quite healthy and tasty. Definitely try the desserts, they are absolutely amazing. It's not cheap, but neither is it that expensive. Very friendly service; we were in London for a week and ate several times. On our last day, the owner personally came and talked with us and gave us a free dessert!

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy and nutritious
veganmiss
veganmiss

Tasty Stuff

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2011

t wasn't the easiest place to find or get to by the tube. I had to walk 15 minutes each way from the tube in the pouring rain. The food was homey and good, though! To start I had cream of asparagus soup with bread and garlic bread. For my main dish, I had seitan stroganoff.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/10/vegan-london-part-three.html

Dula
Dula

Good restaurant

5 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2011

Delicious vegan food - lunch buffet for really good value. Very tasty and interesting. Service very friendly and nice. I would recommend to visit it.

Pros: food, price, service
vegan_edge
vegan_edge

Highly recommended

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2011

One of the best vegan places in town. I've been there numerous times and the food is always great. The lunchtime buffet is very good value, the evening menu is reasonably pricy - it's not the cheapest place but definitely not outrageously expensive ("you get what you pay for"!).

The soups are always great - the raw avocado soup or the cream of mushroom soup will kick your butt.

Pros: excellent food, independent, but not hippy, pleasant interior
Cons: far away from where I live :)
AnnFromIllinois
AnnFromIllinois

Fantastic little find

5 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2011

What a treat! I loved this little restaurant! Nothing terribly fancy, but delicious food and wonderful service. It's not fancy food, but it is all well prepared and a great variety. This is a place where omnis would be comfortable too. (I'm not a fan of "preachy" vegan restaurants, and this one isn't.)

Wine menu is small, but at least there is one! Enjoy a long lingering dinner there.

Pros: All vegan, Many options, Upscale casual
Cons: Crowded
KCW
KCW

Favourite restaurant in London

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2011

I love this place so much! It's a tiny little restaurant, but it's full of so much deliciousness. I've been going here for years, and I've taken several omnivores here and they've all really liked it as well. The seitan stroganoff is amazing. I also love the wild mushroom pasta and the potato and tofu raclettes. They used to have an avocado pomodoro for a starter, and it's a shame that they've taken it off the menu, because it was divine.

I'm surprised to hear that some people think that the portions were too small. I've always thought they were quite large, actually.

The service can be a little forgetful, but they are polite and seem eager to please.

While I don't have problems with wheat or gluten, I've noticed that they seem to have paid special attention to gluten free options.

Pros: Amazing food, Good portions, Considerate of special requirements
Ashni
Ashni

Highly recommended vegan restaurant

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2011

I have been to 222 Veggie Vegan twice - first for a lunchtime buffet and second for an evening a la carte dinner. I really loved both experiences.

It is fairly small and cosy with a white interior and fun bright oil paintings. The restaurant is on a road where you wouldn't expect to find a vegan restaurant. The service was very friendly, and the food was mostly delicious. They have a good selection of organic and vegan wines, including very reasonably priced house wines (GBP 14.50 for a bottle).

I will review the a la carte dinner as that was my most recent experience. I went for my boyfriend's birthday dinner and there were 5 of us so we got to try a variety of dishes.

For starters we had:
- a cream of mushroom soup and homemade bread (daily special): Incredible. Best mushroom soup I have had since becoming vegan 3 years ago. Great texture and rich taste of blend of different mushrooms.
- cold avocado soup: bit of a gamble but it was a nice and refreshing alternative to a gazpacho
- bean and tofu pancake: delicious
- lentil peak: compared to the other starters, we felt this was average.

For mains:
- Oyster mushroom and spinach raclette: Simply incredible with a lovely combination of textures (potato, mushroom, spinach and tofu). This was our favourite dish
- Vegan roast: OK, vegetables were tasty, tomato based gravy, slightly smaller than the others
- 222 Burger: OK
- Seitan strogannof : Tasted great with the rich flavours of mushrooms and the seitan worked really well with the sauce but tasted similar to the mushroom soup. So wouldn't recommend getting both the mushroom soup and this strogannof dish unless you really love mushrooms!

For dessert:
- 222 pancake: Very good, made from wholewheat flour, didn't feel too sugary and still yummy with the vanilla and chocolate sauce
- Chocolate gateau: Good
- Tofu cheesecake: This was yummy but tasted more like an apple pie than a cheesecake so wouldn't go for this if you are after a regular cheesecake

Generally, I like that you can see into the kitchen. The head chef is very friendly and often comes to speak to people about the dishes. It is also very reasonably priced for a London vegan restaurant making original dishes.

Pros: delicious food, reasonably priced, friendly atmosphere
Cons: not very central, some dishes average
CKay
CKay

Not so much..

3 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2011

I was pretty hungry by the time we made it to 222(It's a good hike from the closest Tube station, as some other reviewers noted). My food was tasty enough, but my wife's food was very bland. The service was good and our food did come quickly, but the portions left something to be desired. The plates were around 11 Pounds each, and I unfortunately left hungry. If I find myself in London again I don't think I'll be returning here to give it a second shot.

Pros: Good service, All vegan
Cons: Pricey, Small portions
Veryblue2
Veryblue2

Vegan food to go...

5 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2011

Phoned an evening order in, it was ready for collection upon arrival and was well packaged (so no spills). Food was tasty, still warm, though as others have noted portions were not huge.

Pros: great food, healthy cuisine, dessert
Cons: portions on the smaller side
bigvegan
bigvegan

Great place, great food, friendly service

4 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2011

+ Always reliable quality. Organic drinks, tasty desserts.

- A bit out of the way, slightly pricey, slow changing menu.

aadams1217
aadams1217
  • non-vegetarian

Good food, but boring place

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2011

Went here for a dinner with my boyfriend. In a bit of a rough area near Chelsea, but people were happy as the Chelsea football club won that night...

Ended up having the oyster mushroom and spinach raclette. Very tasty and presented very nicely, but a bit pricey if you ask me.

Also, there was no real personality or atmosphere to this place. Pretty boring and bland...elevator music playing, plain/drab decor, nothing like the other alternative-style veggie places I've been to.

Pros: food, service
Cons: expensive, no ambience/boring, maybe trying to be too posh
upior
upior

Take away - good food but a small portion

4 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2010

Today we had the take away from 222 restauran. It's not very expensive £5.00/box. Food is very good however the boxes are quit small (500ml). I was still hungry after eating my portion.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff
Cons: small portions
smugfop
smugfop

Great place to eat

5 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2010

We found this place thanks to the Happy Cow Android App during our trip to the UK from New Zealand (although I am originally from the UK), having had a far from good culinary experience during our travels ie bland curries, non authentic chinese food etc etc, this place was a breath of fresh air.
The food was very well presented, tasty and well cooked and the service was delightful and they even helped out with our 1 year old.
Access was a breeze from central london on the tube, just 1 change needed and a short walk from either 1 of 2 nearby tube stations.
The menu was excellent with a good mix of familiar and more unusual fare and was it very clear on what was organic, raw, gluten free etc.
The food was a little slow but its freshly cooked a la carte so not unexpected and servings although not massive were satifying (quality over quantity)
For quality of food they are heading to be on par with Demuths in Bath and if we were in London longer another visit would be in order.

My highest compliments to the chefs and staff, I wish there were more vegan eateries of this quality.

Updated from previous review on Saturday November 06, 2010

Pros: Quality, Service, 100% vegan
Cubanita
Cubanita

Fabulous vegan fare ---- won't disappoint

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2010

I had the pancake stuffed with broccoli and tofu ricotta which was apparently not their most popular dish-----I WAS VERY IMPRESSED. it was amazing and flavorful. the salads had microgreens !!! what a treat. the shade veggies were very well marinated and i was very impressed that the chocolate cake had a good mousee layering to help with the often "dry" cake effect that plagues vegan cakes. i left full, satiated and very very happy. best vegan fare in london so far. i would go back tomorrow and try the top selling dishes ---especially if the one i chose was so good i can't imagine that the others would disappoint. it's a shame i am leaving!

paul.michael
paul.michael

plain and simple

5 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2010

As the title suggests my experience with the 2's was as easy as a b c. The buffet not over bearing, simple dishes of light inviting choice. who needs so many choices that one consumes so much due to the title of "all you can eat" that leaves you no room for the next 3-4 hours. Every dish was yummy in respect to the tummy. Good job 222 but please dont be lazy change that lunch time buffet at least every couple of months. peace ;-)

Pros: good value, very yummy, simple choice
Cons: not much inclusion from staff, same lunch menu over time
saintlouisvegan
saintlouisvegan

Buffet during the day

4 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2010

During my last visit I discovered this place. Ate here twice in one week. The food was great. Tried to eat there a 3rd day but the food was exactly the same (actually less off the same) so I talked my self into going somewhere else. It was buffet style during the day and € la carte menu in the eve. I only ate the day buffet. Not to much salt or oil. Lots of food to pick from; various types of cold green, bean and veggie type salads. Hot foods we're typically a ratatouille, chana massala, pasta, potatoes & various stews. All food tasted great. They have some optional desserts to purchase that I did not try but they looked good.

Pros: vegan, price is good for buffet, tastes great
Cons: lack of day to day variety
Jemima
Jemima

Tasted pretty fresh

3 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2010

The closest tube station is West Kensington from there walk straight down North End Rd, continuing after the Lillie Rd intersection. It's a fair walk.
Decor is minimalist to the point of being almost merely utilitarian. Wooden floor, tables and chairs. The chairs do the job of being chairs even if they are slightly hard.

I went for the all you can eat buffet lunch. There were about 5-10 items to choose from in a bain-marie including a chickpea dish/ curry, stir fried broccoli, rice, dahl. The broccoli stood out for me as it was still crunchy and fresh - cooked just the right amount. No culinary feats but everything tasted fresh.

The person on the floor was friendly when I went to see her but I had to take the initiative to get the buffet and she didn't check on me and I went without a drink.

Value is fine at GBP7.50 which is decent.

Pros: ok value
Cons: distance from station, hardish chairs, service could have been more attentive
cooking4vegans
cooking4vegans

Brilliant food, worth the wait!

4 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2009

Absolutely brilliant food and nice, relaxed atmosphere. We had the baked avocado with tomato sauce for starters and the seitan stroganoff and Ben's Special stir fry for main course, all very flavourful and very tasty. The tiramisu looked lovely (saw other people's as it came out of the kitchen) but we were too full to attempt any! Like the previous reviewer I went on a Saturday evening and there was only one waitress, unfortunately it took us a little longer to be served but the food was worth the wait, although I was glad I hadn't intended to go anywhere afterwards and I wasn't starving hungry when I arrived...

Pros: Very tasty food, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Took a long time to be served
natz
natz

Excellent food!

4 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2009

Husband and I ate here on a Saturday night - we phoned and reserved a table but got their early and were still seated. Not very big place but cosy and warm. Not the best of locations, about 10 min walk from Earls Court tube and nothing else around there so you do have to make a special trip.

The food was amazing, well presented, big portions and served quickly (despite only one waitress being on for the whole place)!. We had one starter, two mains, two desserts and two bottles of wine and the bill was £52 so excellent value.

Disappointing that there is only one white wine and only one red wine (and no rose) on the menu - the white was good (organic Bordeaux) and only £10.50 a bottle which is a steal in London but would have liked a choice!!

For mains we had Bob's Special which was a (very) spicy West Indian stir fry with excellent brown rice. We also had the Stroganoff with Seitan strips - again, very nice, creamy wholesome food. Many dishes on the menu indicate a West Indian/Carribbean slant which is great to try.

The desserts - vegan tiramisu was AMAZING and a massive portion! We also had the vegan pancake (wholeweat pancake with icecream, custard and choc sauce) which was lovely but the pancake was a bit tough to cut.

Great atmosphere in there and I would recommend this for a good vegan feast. Lots of choice on the menu (food) but needs more wine options!

Pros: great range of food choices, amazing puddings, excellent value
Cons: location, lack of wine options
gimli0912
gimli0912

Great Place

5 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2009

I just got back from a week in London and we went to this place three times for dinner. It was great to have so many options. Food was great, and cost was average.

Pros: choices, taste, presentation
francescabox
francescabox

great!

4 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2009

I went to 222 many times, with my husband and some friends. We found the place nice and cosy. The staff very friendly, the Chef is a really Vegan one! ....Fab food...not great location, but it's worth the effort to came from anywhere in London. The vegan cheesecake is amazing! Not expensive.

Pros: Food, not expensive, the Chef
piffelina
piffelina

fantastic!

5 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2009

wow, i really loved this place! we were here somewhere between 12-12.30 (place opened at 12) and were the first costumers, but within 30 minutes the place was crowded, so i'd suggest getting getting here early.

we both had the lunch buffe and i loved everything. there was probably 10 different dishes and everything was really tasteful and delicious. to drink we had a smoothie and a freshly pressed apple juice, which was probably amongst the best juices i've ever had!

the only thing i regret is not having any room for dessert - i would have loved to try the pancake, never before been to a place that serves vegan pancakes.

Pros: great buffe, everything seemed so fresh, fantastic juice
Cons: a bit far off, but worth it!
woylielover
woylielover

A little disappointing

3 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2009

We went to this place hoping for some really tasty vego food but found the our selections rather bland. The staff were fine and service quick and it was relatively inexpensive for a sit-down evening meal in central London, but still we felt a little let down and have had better vego meals in other places since.

Pros: Service, Price, Location
Cons: Blandness
super8J
super8J

Nice food in functional surroundings

4 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2009

My wife, 2 year old daughter and I had a treat meal out at 222 which was very nice indeed. The creamy tomato soup was very warming after coming in from rainy streets; the shepherds pie had a nice rounded chilli kick (though the broccoli could have been cooked a tad longer); the burger was filling and smothered in sauces; the stroganoff really rather good. I had the pancake for pud, though I found it rather chewy my daughter appreciated the custard sauce. Overall a good eating experience. However, I think the restaurant could soften the decor a bit (having cushions on the chairs would be a nice start!) to match the quality of the food. Nevertheless keeping things informal was really appreciated once our daughter started running around squeeking at the other diners...

Pros: Good portions, Hearty, good flavoured food, All vegan
Cons: Rather basic tables and chairs, Tiny bit cramped
DJK
DJK
  • non-vegetarian

Perfect! Just what we wanted!

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2009

Casual, unpretentious, affordable, clean, excellent 100% vegetarian restaurant for a family of 6 after a long day of touring. Stayed at Kew Gardens until closing and then hopped on the tube, with this restaurant a 5 minute walk from the tube station. Wait staff was friendly, helpful and quick. Food arrived quickly. Starters were excellent, but not particularly inspired. Main courses were outstanding -- each and every one (we chose six different starters). Ben's Special, Veggie Burger and chick peas were particularly good. Would eat here again in a heartbeat!

Pros: Great service, Great atmosphere, Outstanding food
sparkly_ruth
sparkly_ruth

Delicious!

4 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2009

We had a great dinner here. The prices are very reasonable, the food is great & the drinks are fab too! I can highly recommend the vegan garlic bread & the ice-cream (the best I've ever tasted - even better than any dairy ice-cream I've ever tried!) highly recommended - try it!

Pros: Excellent food, Great Vegan drink selection, Prices are great (esp for London!)
Cons: It's not nearer where I live!
comida
comida

Wonderful buffet for lunch

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2009

Friends have been telling me about this place for years, but the location has always put me off from going. I'm glad I finally made the effort. There were some amazing choices for lunch, I particulary liked the carrot pie and the bean and avocado salad. The staff were quirky but friendly. My friend was disappointed that they didn't have the vegan cheesecake that day, but otherwise everything was delicious.

Pros: wide choice of dishes, friendly staff
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Best restaurant in London for healthy Vegans!

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2009

This is probably the only vegan restaurant in London that doesn't own a deep frier & the only one I can even eat at! It also happens to be fabulous! The chef and owner is my kind of vegan. He takes extreme pride in his work, selection of fresh ingredients. Its not fast food, it takes about 45 minutes from the time you order. He bakes most items, keeping them low fat. This is also one of the few vegan/veg restaurants that'll cater to your desires. We had the tofu mix burger done oil free with baked potatoes inside of chips. It was absolutely fantastic! The fresh herbs just jump out of the tomato sauce! Absolutely fabulous, friendly, fresh and healthy! Both the chef and I were talking about how we can't even eat in any of London's veg restaurants because finding whole foods is near impossible!

Pros: all vegan, healthy, prepared fresh
elisecroft
elisecroft

Delicious!

4 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2009

I was very impressed with this place. I ordered the creamy pasta with mushrooms and it was delicious (although there could have been a little more pasta!). Then for dessert I got the special cake of the day and ice cream. The cake as a little burnt but it still taste great.

I came from South Kensington and the trip was easy. I can't imagine anywhere that's not just one or two tubs away.

Lovely staff as well and the food came very quickly. I would say it's worth the effort to come from Central London since I couldn't find anywhere for vegans comparable in London.

Pros: Near metro, Delicious, Good selection
Cons: Portion a little small
Lucylu
Lucylu

Yum!

5 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2009

This little restaurant is a bit out of the way and not in a particularly nice area, but it was worth the walk in the snow from Fulham! My newly converted friend and I both had tofu burgers and pancakes! They were hearty meals: just what we needed on a cold Wednesday evening! It's a no frills kind of place, and was quite quiet, but I'd put that down to the weather! Will be going back to sample some other dishes as I was quite torn over what to order!

Pros: Friendly staff, Hearty food
Cons: Location
Penn
Penn

Meh, not impressed at all

2 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2008

I went there with my girlfriend and we are both vegans. When we got there the first thing I noticed was the price of the drinks which seemed to be rather high but not too bad. We were both desperatly hungry but our starter took about 25 minutes to come with was a little longer then i was expecting. Not only that, the portion sizes were TERRIBLE. For £4 I got 1 piece of pita breed with tiny dips and my girlfriend got about half a normal pancake with a minor bit of filling for £6, the food itself was good and impressive, but the sizes in comparison to price was terrible.

I think I might try it again during the lunch buffet but NEVER at night, the food took much too long and the potion sizes were just rude quite frankly.

Pros: Good food. , Small and cosy
Cons: Stupidly small portions, Horide service, Overpriced
marybheine
marybheine

Fine if you are in the neighborhood...

3 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2008

After the arduous journey to get there from central London, (taking 2 subways and a bus) we arrived to a virtually empty "cafe" to see a limited selection on the all you can eat buffet. That was the only option for lunch. Although the vegan eggplant parmesan was excellent, as well as the apple crumble that another diner recommended us having (it wasn't on the menu, perhaps the chef had made it only for the restaurant staff?), it wasn't worth the journey to get there. It's fine if you're in the neighborhood, but there was a limited selection of food. We paid 21 pounds for 2 buffets, a shared apple crumble, and a shared bottle of plain water.

Pros: Tasty eggplant parmesan, Friendly staff
Cons: Toilet didn't flush, limited options on buffet
juliej
juliej

Amazing

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2008

This place was fantastic. We ate here on the way to see our celtic v Fulham. We went for the buffet which is well worth £7.50.
You get 2 mains we had chickpea curry and veg stirfry and a big salad bar.
Definately visit this place the food was original and gorgeous.
Even my partners parents who aren't veggie loved it!

Pros: amazing food, lovely setting, good service
Cons: none
venusq
venusq

great place

5 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2008

have just discovered this little gem. Had a fantastic Sunday lunch there yesterday - top quality food and great value

Pros: imaginative menu, vegan cakes, value for money
skymonkey
skymonkey

great vegan food

4 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2008

went to 222 during my trip to london. this is a vegan restaurant, which is a big plus. it is a bit of a walk from the west kensington tube station. i had the special at the time, which is a creamy mushroom risotto. never thought vegan creamy risotto could be so delicious. well done! the place was quite busy when i went on a friday night. the waiter did seem a little overwhelmed. the dining experience might have been better during quieter time.

anne
anne

Fantastic Brunch

5 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2008

We visit here on a regular basis with our 3 young kids and have never had a bad meal. Service is great, staff are always friendly and the food hot and fresh. Kids are half price. Deserts are good and so nice to be able to get a selection of vegan cakes. Worth travelling to.

Pros: selection of food, kid friendly, value for money
Deano
Deano

In my top ten

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2008

This is one of my favourite restaurants in London. The food (all vegan) is excellent and - even though it's a small place that can fill up quickly - the friendly staff are happy for you to spend plenty of time enjoying your meal, chatting and quaffing a bottle of wine.
And you can see the chef in the kitchen cooking up a culinary storm - there's no chance of anything dodgy going in your dinner if you can see the people making it.
The only downside is the walk from West Kensington Tube station. I suggest getting there via West Brompton which is a much more pleasant experience.

Pros: top vegan food, relaxed atmosphere, good portions
Cons: walking from West Kensington
baratron
baratron

We love eating at Ben's!

5 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2008

222 is undeniably the best vegetarian restaurant in London, possibly even the world. The chef, Ben, is extremely gifted in the ways of veganising meals. Absolutely everything on the menu is 100% vegan (although they do keep some cow milk for coffee). If you are dining with someone with a dietary restriction, note that Ben is always willing to adapt recipes if necessary, although you'll need to ensure that he's available by calling the restaurant before you visit to explain your needs. I find this particularly useful as several of my friends are allergic to soy protein, and of course most vegan restaurants simply replace dairy with soy. Ben cooks with both tofu cream cheese and cashew cream, so can easily change the ingredients given enough notice.

The one problem with 222 is that it can take a while to get your food - the kitchen is very small, and it seems every time we've gone in recently there have been new staff. But the food remains as excellent as ever, and it's worth the wait. Just make sure you have interesting dining companions or a good book to pass the time :)

Pros: Food is AMAZING, You won't believe it's vegan, Very warm and friendly
Cons: Can be slow, Small room so gets noisy
jenni513
jenni513

best food in London

5 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2008

This tiny little restaurant in West Kensington was a fantastic find. I stumbled upon it quite accidentally. I don't know that I would have been prepared to travel to it, but would now! The food was amazing and the selection was one of the best I have ever seen for a gluten free vegan. So nice to be able to have options rather than necessities. 2 Thumbs up, 5 Happy Cows and a definite that I will return.

Pros: excellent selection, menu options for gluten/wheat free, fabulous food
Cons: too small, not in great location

Great Place

5 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2007

This is by far my favorite lunch place. A vegan, wholesome and tasty buffet. For about 6 quid you can eat as much as you want and the food is great quality so you are not stuffing out on junk food. It is worth the travel if you have a travel card and are doing the London scene.

Pros: Great price, wholesome, vegan
flamekat
flamekat

Pretty good

3 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2007

My husband and I finally ate here in July 2007 after months of longing. I suppose we might have built it up in our minds too much, but while it didn't meet our expectations, it was good, and we would go back. We had the avocado pomodoro for a starter, which was really nice and interesting, but rather heavy. We also ordered the garlic bread--but that didn't come until after our mains and we had to flag the waitress down to get it then. It's a tiny restaurant, but she was distracted by a party of 10. (FYI-the garlic bread wasn't worth the effort.) For our mains, I had the Stroganoff made with tofu, and my husband chose the 222 Gardens. While my Stroganoff was a generous meal and super tasty, the Gardens was ridiculously small--especially considering it was the most expensive dish on the menu! Just picture a line of little nibblies down the center of your plate, that's all it was. The menu really gave the impression that it would be a healthy amount of food, but that was not the case. Dessert was the tofu cheesecake and a chocolate cake--both on the healthy side of desserts. I wouldn't bother ordering the cheesecake again, as it's so easy to make a nice one at home. The main pro about 222 is that the cooking is healthy. So many times at veggie places you get served white rice, and other sorts of refined junk. I think our night at 222 was a case of ordering some of the wrong things, so maybe next time, we'll get luckier!

Pros: Healthy cooking!, Stroganoff, Attractive restaurant
Cons: 222 Gardens, Indifferent service, Tofu cheesecake
  • Caryne Caryne

The Tofu Cheesecake is wonderul, I've had it many times. Yes, you can make a cheesecake at home but if you felt like that then why bother to order it?

wilsnunn
wilsnunn

Lovely restaurant

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2007

This place is excellent. I went for the buffet lunch, and the food was TOP quality. Salads fresh and appealing, hot food delicious. Don't be put off if you approach it from the "wrong" end of the road(!). The restaurant is clean and the service delightful. Thanks to all at 222!

Pros: vegan, friendly staff, nice atmosphere
MrFalafel
MrFalafel

One of the top veggie places in London

5 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2007

A little out of the way over in West Kensington but it is definetly worth the trip. The restaurant seats about 30 people but the ambiance is great. Lovely professional service and the food is incredbile. No hippie food, this is vegan haute cuisine with imaginative ingredients expertly prepared in mouth watering combinations making each bite an experience to remember.

Pros: Best vegan food in London, Efficient service, imaginatve menu
Cons: zone 2 location, small wine list

Dear Owner and Manager of 222 Veggie Vegan: