2012 Mayan Spaces and...

Serves meat, veg options available. 2012 Espacios Mayas y algo Mas. Offers also a vegetarian menu. Vegans need to specify no cheese. The "something else" part is to indicate that they are also open to non Mayan art and activities. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Mexican, Non-veg
Calle 62 Unit 468A, Colonia Centro (Calle 57)
Merida, Mexico
99-91556539

Open Tue-Sun 1:30-11pm.

First Review by druid
roxette521
roxette521

Nice decor, boring food

3 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2013

I ate here twice, and was pretty underwhelmed by the food both times. It's a nice place to hang out, as they have a very nice courtyard and a nice book and gift store. However, the food is pretty bland (and that's saying a lot in Yucatan) and overpriced.

Pros: Bland food
Cons: Pretty place
enRoute
enRoute

Interesting space, great food, issue resolved

4 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2013

So, first thing's first: just got back from here and had some delicious chorisoya tacos. The space is relaxed, central, and unique, with a chilled ambiance and independent feel; it's locally owned as well, not especially common for establishments in the center.

Regarding the previous poster: thanks for uncovering this. I had a lengthy discussion with both the manager and the owner, who was personally very surprised that this had happened and promised me that the vegetarian section of the menu would be changed immediately. After doing some research on this "Guten" stuff (which sounds suspiciously like "gluten"), I realized that it is a source of confusion for many people and other restaurants within the country. Yes, it is a processed "meat alternative" product, but it does contain meat. In any case, they are now aware of the issue and are acting to fix it.

Like Michael, I also highly recommend supporting this arty, independent place. The previous poster was right to be disappointed, but the business moved to fix it as soon as they were made fully aware, and the place deserves a second chance as a Mérida "vegetarian oasis."

Pros: Separate veg menu, Great artistic space, Veg versions of Mexican classics
Cons: Menu misunderstanding (now resolved), Doesn't open till after 1
choogirl
choogirl

Not a veg restaurant & veg items contain meat!

2 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2013

I went here expecting good things after the other two reviews. However, this restaurant is a regular restaurant with a separate vegetarian menu.

Furthermore, a number of veggie menu items contain "guten" which, after inspecting in a supermarket is NOT vegetarian. The main ingredients are chicken and cow meat. The staff told me this was a tofu product. I found this out afterwards (by chance walking through a supermarket and seeing it) and feel sick knowing this now.

This restaurant is basically no different to any other tourist restaurant in Merida and does not deserve to be on happycow.

I would give it zero stars.

Cons: Not vegetarian, Guten contains meat, Staff are oblivious to guten ingredients
  • choogirl choogirl

It was listed as a vegetarian restaurant when I did the review. I asked happycow to downgrade it which is why it's veg friendly now.

Glad they've removed Guten.

• enRoute enRoute

To be fair, it was listed as "veg-friendly," so we knew it was a mixed place. You are absolutely right about the "guten" product though, and after discussing it with the owner he was very apologetic and promised to remove it from the vegetarian menu immediately. Thanks for pointing that out!

MichaelKalmanovitch
MichaelKalmanovitch

A Vegetarian Oasis in Merida

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2013

Came back to Merida for a working holiday and I always seem to stay in hotels close to this restaurant since i frequent many times during my stay.
I know that the refried beans won't have lard in them and if I don't want cheese they are familiar with that request. It is easier for a vegetarian restaurant to do vegan than a meat place to do vegan.
I had the Nopales Rellenos - cactus stuffed with cheese, peppers, a red sauce, and lots of taste. They provide corn tortillas so I just cut it up and rolled pieces into the tortilla and enjoyed myself with the wonderful taste.
Smoothies are very good here but $45MEX for a large one. On a hot day like today two slid down too easily.

Pros: Great food, Educational decor in the courtyard-Mayan, Reasonable price (meals $40MEX - $50Mex)
Cons: Not enough people supporting this place
druid
druid
  • non-vegetarian

Nice Place

4 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2012

Good food, good menu, pleasant staff. I had the burritos.

Pros: Prices, service

Dear Owner and Manager of 2012 Mayan Spaces and Something Else: