20000 Cows Vegetarian House

Lismore vegan restaurant existing as a proclaimed sanctuary, operating as a philosophically based business with a suggested prices only menu. Please call for hours before you go. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, International

First Review by tofu-on-a-stick
DouglasWilson
DouglasWilson

tasty and quirky

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

Quirky bohemian atmosphere with tasty (although heavy on the salt!) food. Telephone first for opening times.

Jak74
Jak74

Rude waitress - confusing restaraunt itle

2 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2013

I took my partner to 20,000 cows for her birthday as we are both vegetarian, and as the web page heading says '20,000 cows vegetarian house' I thought she would love it. I took a birthday cake with cream (honest mistake) as the title indicates 'vegetarian house. The waitress said she couldn't put it in the fridge as this is a vegan restaurant, which was fine and we fully accepted although slightly confused as we thought 20,000 was a vegetarian restaurant. The waitress seemed happy with that. An hour and a half later she came back out and in the middle of the party, became very irate at everybody there, raising her voice and embarrassing everybody there including my 7 year old step daughter who became quite distraught. No one at the table said anything as we were all in shock. She then came out with a smart alec line "ooh the silence is deafening". Everybody got up and left the restaurant, and I went into pay. The waitress took one look at me and said to a very polite young waitress, you deal with him and flicked her hand at me. My partner and step daughter left the restaurant very upset. When she asked us if the cake was vegan we were honest and said no it has cream she wasn't upset, she told us that she just wouldn't be able to keep it their fridge, so no body at the table thought that it would be a problem from there on. There are better ways of talking to customers who had made an honest mistake and thought otherwise as per the heading on the website and the fact she was ok about it from the beginning. Will not be going back.

Cons: Rude Waitress
Lismoregirl
Lismoregirl

NEVER AGAIN!

2 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2013

I have NEVER in my life been treated so badly by a waitress! My understanding is that the 20,000 cows project aims to spread love and understanding - apparently the staff haven't gotten that message because this waitress treated us like dirt! She was rude, snobby, and judgmental.
I will never return to this restaurant, and I will tell anyone who wants to listen how horribly we were treated.

In addition, the food is EXTREMELY overpriced, and not very good quality. The restaurant is dirty & dilapidated, and we found a hair in our food :-/

Pros: none
Cons: waitress, food, price
vegan mikal
vegan mikal

Not worth your time or money

2 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

20,000 Cows may be an institution, but it's time is well past.

Having been to 20,000 Cows more than a decade earlier and having enjoyed that experience, we were looking forward to the new owner reopening the place. Our anticipation did not match the reality.

If you feel like dining in someone's crumbling loungeroom, then this is the place for you. The lack of care of the premises is just the start. We were so shocked by the prices (which didn't have a hint of being "suggestions" in any way) that we decided to try some of the cheaper options; a curry for $25 in Australia in 2012 is found in places with gold cutlery, not with a bunch of cobwebs!

Our entree of spinach and nut cheese rolls consisted of two pencil-thin tubes of pastry containing a leaf of spinach and something white. Whether this white stuff was made out of nuts was impossible to say. This was truly a minimalist item both on size and on taste.

Our main was a pasta with a coconut milk and mushroom sauce. This was a bland and hastily prepared meal, with a strange mix of cooked and uncooked vegetables. It was at least 1/3 too expensive.

Thankfully there was a nice paratha to finish off our meal, but it too was small for the price.

We decided to cut our losses and did not order any of the overpriced desserts.

There is very little going for this place. The waitresses seemed unsure of what they were doing, we never got the water we were offered, and even the bill was mucked up.

The new owner took over only in early 2012, but really, 20,000 Cows should have retired a long time ago. It needs a lot of work to get up to scratch.

Pros: none
Cons: ancient premises, ridiculous prices, badly trained staff
Henley
Henley

Absolutely delicious

5 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2011

We've been to 20 000 Cows about 6 times. The food here is consistently really high quality, and wonderfully presented. And Diverse!

But that's only half the experience. The furniture is all mismatched, and old, there are cobwebs, the tablecloth may have dried candle wax on it - but hey, when the food is that good, who cares.

The vegan cheese on the Pizza is amazing, and the chilli sauce which comes with the Amazon Croquettes is worth bottling!!

The menu is international, so you'll find all sorts of dishes from many areas of the world. Everything we've tried has been fantastic, with one exception - a cauliflower entree dish with vegan white sauce, very sad.

Not sure about the "pay-as-you-feel" concept though, as all items on the menu are priced, and they add it up at the end and expect you to pay the menu quoted amount.

Still, a real highlight of Vegetarian dining. 5 Cows! (Sorry, can't give 20 000)

Pros: Extremely delicious, International, Vegan
Cons: Not low-fat, Pricing structure dubious, Not open 7 days
mandy jane
mandy jane

Yummy!

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2010

I went to Lismore specifically to eat all the yummy vegan options available. I had heard all about 20000 Cows and was not disappointed! I love the way it is decorated with recycled furniture, the staff were warm and the food was amazing. We went there two nights in a row and every dish we had was great. The lemon rose water drink was also beautiful.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, great value
zzaardvark
zzaardvark

Yum

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2008

Great food, quaint atmosphere, modest prices. All vegetarian (vegan i think) dishes, Indian, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean options.

Highly recommended!

Can also buy the Wolf and Lamb cookbook by the chef / manager - al dishes are in the book.

Pros: all vego, laid back, hippy philosophy
Cons: must book
tofu-on-a-stick
tofu-on-a-stick

Quirky and tasty institution

5 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2007

20000 Cows is an institution...the food is good and very spicey (perhaps a little much at times??). Menu doesn't change much, but is varied.

Atmosphere is unreconstructed '70s hippie and the place is in a little weatherboard in a pretty grotty part of Lismore. Also, it is a bit 'one in, all in' for seating, so not much chance of a secluded, intimate candle lit dinner. But all this is part of the charm.

There is a strong philosophical bent to this place(think about the name...). So it is a vegan's vegan restaurant.

It suffers from not being on the coast (Byron Bay) in terms of recognition, but more than worth a go.

PS Also makes tempeh for sale.

Pros: food, philosophy
Cons: not for a intimate dinner

Dear Owner and Manager of 20000 Cows Vegetarian House: