Serves meat, veg options available. Offers sandwiches, breakfast items, and pizza. Has a few vegetarian options like a BBQ tofu sandwich. Limited vegan options, now has vegan mayonaise. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Beer/Wine, American, Non-veg

First Review by deadsiemusie

Excellent Plan B

4 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2014

After an obnoxious attempt to go to Feelings Cafe that eventually involved a pedi cab, we arrived to realize the damn place was closed on Mondays. Opening my trusty HC app I found the nearest next place to eat- 13. Situated along Frenchman street, famous for it's live music, we settled into the fairly quiet bar for cocktails and dinner. The menu is brief- more bar than food- but the options for vegans didn't disappoint. I ordered the BBQ tofu sandwich with vegan mayo (major perk!) and sipped my drink. After we ordered but before our food came out I noticed a writing board listing vegan red beans and rice for a paltry $5. Score! I added that my ordered. The sandwich had a perfect combo of toppings including pickles and tomato, served on crusty and perfectly chewey French bread. Sure, the bread itself was most of the sandwich, but together it was so good I can overlook it. The red beans Nd rice was good- not great. Once I salted them the flavor was really enhanced, thinking they were just under seasoned. This is a great option to make a night of true N'awlins live music and have a great diner-style creole dinner. Prices were reasonable too- for my sandwich and beans, my moms sandwich, and three cocktails, we paid a paltry $46 and that includes the tip.

Pros: vegan mayo

Quick, laid back meal

3 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2013

We stopped in for a late night dinner. For a bar, we were pretty pleased with the vegetarian options. A few things are not vegan but can be made vegan by omitting the cheese. I had the tofu herb sandwich. It wasn't spectacular, but certainly satisfied my hunger. My husban had the mushroom Philly and really enjoyed it. They have a good beer selection and the service was pretty good, too.

Pros: Laid back, Speedy service

Emergency Lunch

3 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2013

Nothing outstanding, but was starving and desperate for food when we found this place and very thankful for their simple, bland bean burrito.

Pros: friendly service
Cons: limited selection, bland, unexciting food

great casual bite

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2012

I would recommend 13 for lunch or perhaps a quick bite between sets at the many music venues nearby. It's a very informal bar where you order at the bar and the bartender brings out your meal. Two tofu sandwiches, tator tots, and perhaps a couple of other vegan options, not tons. Certainly worth a stop for visitors, especially if in the neighborhood. I also appreciated that I could drag my non-veggie friends here with ease.

Pros: good for mixed crowds, bbq tofu sandwich, tator tots
Cons: few vegan options

Wonderful!!!!!!

4 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2012

This was a wonderful find and we loved everything. I got a tofu herb sandwich and oh my goodness it was great. One thing, you might want to remind the waiter to cook you food away from meet. My tummy hurt for a couple of hours but that's my fault because I forgot to say something. Enjoy this wonderful find!!!!

Pros: Great food, Service was wonderful

Good vegan cusine

4 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2011

We were impressed with the vegan menu and how the staff goes out of their way to accomodate vegan requests. Lots of good food, service is friendly.

Pros: Good food, Good selection, Good service

Decent food, bad service

2 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2011

The food here is ok, the BBQ Tofu poboy is always a good choice. Don't expect pleasant or speedy service here. The bartenders can be a little surly.

Pros: Good Vegan Selection, Good Tofu
Cons: Bad service, pricey

delicious

4 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2011

13 is a wonderful place and has a vegan dish offered daily (as well as has many options on the menu). They are very accommodating and have veganaise. If they had vegan cheese it would be a plus! I'm not vegan but my partner is, and they are always satisfied. They have goodies for carnivores too. My only complaint is that the bartender is the server too, and the blonde one isn't friendly at all. We always tip her well but she doesn't pay much attention to the tables and is normally very unfriendly. More staff would be better!

Pros: excellent food, vegan options, atmosphere
Cons: better wait service

Good combination of menu, location, and vibe

4 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2011

13 is a delightful little place close enough to, but just outside of, the main tourist drag. I went for the black bean veggie burger, which was better than I expected (and is baked rather than fried -- a nice touch). Local brews on tap were a nice addition. The service is...let's call it Slacker Casual -- I wouldn't go there if I were in a hurry. But I didn't experience any surliness or attitude (as some reviewers on other sites have complained about); to the contrary, everyone was very friendly.

13 sits on the site of New Orleans's former only all-veg place, Old Dog New Tricks, and one of the employees told me the idea was to keep that veg-friendliness while expanding the menu to appeal to mixed groups. While an additional veggie item or two wouldn't have hurt, they certainly have succeeded in being a good destination for vegetarians combined with a very pleasant vibe.

The storefront is a bit hard to find: the sign is hard to read, and up-front it looks like a bar (which it is). It's pretty dark inside, but in an attractive sort of way.

Pros: taste + health, vibe, location (for visitors)
Cons: over-relaxed service

Finally found a meal without sausage

4 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2010

I researched HappyCow prior to leaving for NOLA, and am glad I did, as we may never have found 13 otherwise. The sign is a little difficult to read, but once you know the neighborhood, it's very easy to find. This was literally the only place we found with vegan food (to be fair, we passed the African restaurant every day, but never stopped in). They have a delicious vegan BBQ tofu sandwich on the menu, as well as a couple more vegan options, written on the sandwich board out front. The inside is a little dark, and does feel more like a bar, but the server was SUPER friendly, and the food is reasonably priced. For those of you hoping to eat a po' boy while in NO, this is the place to do it. This restaurant is not technically in the French Quarter, rather it's located in the Marigny, but less than a five-minute walk from Royal and Esplanade. It was so satisfying to finally find a meal we could eat, without worrying if it was cooked with sausage.

Pros: Friendly, Tasty, Large Portions

Great Food Nice Enviornment

4 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2010

Stopped in to get out of the rain and realized I stumbled into 13 which I had heard a lot about so decided to sample the menu. I was a little concerned at first as it seemed to be a bar first that served food as an afterthought but was surprised to see the variety of veggie options on the menu and excited to find that the food tasted great and arrived fast and fresh. The server/bartender was friendly, the place was a little dark but cozy, prices were pretty reasonable, will definitely go back.

Pros: Lots of Veggie Options, Price, Friendly Staff/Good Service

Convenient and tasty

3 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2010

I was at a show in the Quarter one day and was starving, not too many options at the time (It was at the Dragon's Den, but before Bamboo opened), and a friend told me about 13. Me and a friend went over there, I was able to find something (and not just settle for something) delicious and vegan, and the price wasn't too bad. I'd definitely eat there again.

Pros: Vegan options, Good location

A taste of New Orleans

4 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2010

Given the limited vegan options in New Orleans, the menu and flavors were a welcome treat. So often we don't get to taste the local flavors because we have to stick to the usual Indian, Thai, etc. restaurants. The menu has vegan options, including a tofu bbq sandwhich. I'm rating this a little higher than usual for a mixed meat/veg*n menu, but it's a welcome treat to be able to experience local dishes, veg*n style, where there are a lot of locals.

Pros: local cuisine, juke box, Near famous jazz clubs
Cons: smokers

Thought it was safe

3 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2009

We were in NOLA last year before Cafe Bamboo opened, so our choices were limited. We had not looked into 13 before coming, so when someone on Frenchmen St told us that they had vegan food, we had to go. We checked at 13 and everything seemed fine. We enjoyed having a beer and having some sandwiches with tator tots. I'm now disturbed to read the review below. :-(

Pros: Beer and sandwiches
Cons: not vegan???

vegans beware

1 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2009

great bar- great staff
the problem i have with 13 is that i'm never really certain that what i'm eating is vegan... for years i ordered the tater tots with my tofu sandwiches or vegan chilli, only to find out that all this time they were not actually vegan. also, their barbecue sauce turns out to not be vegan either! who knows? maybe the person working that day just did not want my business? i dont eat there anymore.

Pros: beer
Cons: questionable vegan food
  • Cthomas Cthomas

I could understand your disappointment if it was a "vegan" restaurant. But this restaurant is listed as "veg-friendly". So I can't see how you can give it a 1 cow given that distinction. This is just my opinion.

Tasty!

4 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2008

Super tasty and only 2 blocks from the French Quarter, 13 has been the apple of my eye since I moved to New Orleans. The all baked no fried menu, along with the amazing tofu dishes and soups make this a great place to hang out.

Pros: late hours
Cons: busy street

Dear Owner and Manager of 13: