Join the conversation

Help! Boyfriend's family won't drop it

Deathpotion5
Posted by Deathpotion5 at 06/11/2014

Ok, some background: Was vegan for 2 years, met my guy 8 months ago and went vegetarian (reasoning: 50% financial, 50% because vegan freaked him out). So his family is hard core Italian, really fun and sweet and I love being around them except...

dinner time is hell for me. I've had probably near 50 meals with his family and the veg thing is brought up every freakin' time. At first it was concern that I was or wasn't satisfied with the food, lighthearted joking, valid questions and minimal discussion. My usual response being to answer questions simply and sit quietly as they continued their discussion.

Even though it wasn't intended negatively, after awhile I was getting frustrated and began to avoid eating with them. Until last night. My guy was already "annoyed" with me since I didn't want to eat lunch with him, his mom even jokingly threatened to hold me down and shove food in my mouth and I got angry and nearly grabbed my things and left. Wish I had.

Dinner took a turn when I was jokingly offered the bar-b-que'd chicken and I politely refused as I always do. "Vegetarians want to save all the animals but they are eating all their food," "I'd rather see chickens in battery cages than pay $5 for a carton of eggs" and on and on it went. His mom even threw in a story about a fur coat she owns and how her minks grew up fat and happy on a farm. All this went on for a good 30 minutes while I kept my mouth shut, eating my potatoes and brussels sprouts, thinking how incredibly rude they were all being and how offended and hurt I was. I refrained from saying a word because when I get angry I get really mean.

I'm lost, I don't know what to do other than refuse to eat with them ever again lol. I could talk to my boyfriend and/or his family but I don't think that it's my place to teach respect to people 2-3 times my age. In addition, I don't want to screw up this relationship just because my feelings are hurt, I also don't want to be the stereotypical veg and respond to them the way they are expecting me to. (Sorry this post was so long, but yeah... so upset)

So now that I've painted the picture, what would you do? What would you definitely not do?

Thanks guys

Responses

AndyT
AndyT06/13/2014 01:48:58
Deathpotion,

I am really sorry to hear about your plight.

To be very open - I do not understand why you put up with it. This is not going to get any better. You write that you went from being vegan to vegetarian because "it freaks your boyfriend out". That, to me, is a first, brightly coloured, red flag. If that person was a racist, would you than be happy about his fun, sweet family, who were wonderful all the time (except when they go to a Klan gathering) and accept that you will just have to be mean to coloured people to blend in? Would you "love" and "forgive" him?

The behaviour of your boyfirends family is one thing. BUT - if your boyfriend would really love and respect you, he would stick up for you.

My advice - end that rather sooner than later.

Best regards,
Andy
Eugene Nyunt.
Eugene Nyunt.06/16/2014 05:29:23
If your current boyfriend just sits there without bothering to interject into his relatives' truly disgusting manners then I'm afraid there is also a problem with the guy himself, not to mention his foul folks. After a long period of a beautiful three (me, my younger sister, and my mum, ...plus my grandparents) I went vegetarian in my early teens in opposition to an idiot fundamentalist carnivore, whose medical wisdom (he's a doctor) was reflected in some incredibly ill-informed and crass comments. I didn't like him before, and despise him now for several reasons, and I can't recall having ever spoken to him in my life, rather than being talked at. As an adult I haven't seen him for nearly two decades. The point is this: your own feelings will not change, nor should you have to tolerate being hammered incessantly in this needless way. Honestly, unless you're in your very late thirties there will be better people you will be with.
angelakelly02
angelakelly0209/29/2014 00:30:37
That's not an easy situation. But if you had to stop being vegan for this guy is he really worth it? If my man suddenly wasn't okay with me being vegan it'd be him out the door, not my lifestyle.
Annelovesdirt
Annelovesdirt09/29/2014 06:55:42
I know this is a difficult situation -- I have the same problem with a few of my in-laws, but I am convinced that the best way to handle it is to accept that they are rude to you out of fear and ignorance. No, it is not your job to educate them but you can set a good example by being a loving, tolerant vegetarian. Sooner or later they will notice your healthy glow, your peaceful demeanor and maybe someday they will think....hmmm.. I'd like some of that.
Ausargent
Ausargent09/30/2014 04:55:29
I think you should take your own advice and never eat with them again.

As for what I would do, well, I'd be enjoying my single life.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.