Join the conversation

Reincarnation

groovychick
Posted by groovychick at 03/29/2013

I really dig Eastern religion and have learned a lot about reincarnation. Some Hindus are vegetarian because they believe that the soul of a deceased family member or friend could be reincarnated into the body of an animal. Also an animal could have the capability to kill you in your next life if you eat meat now.

Responses

savetheanimals
savetheanimals03/30/2013 05:56:12
Just because a religion is vegetarian friendly doesn't make it right. You wouldn't want to believe something false. Veganism is the most ethical thing you can do and you can do it even if you don't have a religion. I am atheist and a vegan. God is just a story someone made up that adults brainwash there children with. You don't have to believe in children's stores to know exploiting and murdering animals is wrong.
groovychick
groovychick03/30/2013 11:32:23
I know. I did not become a vegan because of religion; I did it for environmental and ethical reasons. I found out about its connections with some religions much later.
crisafugate
crisafugate06/27/2013 09:14:29
Just because you don't agree with a religion doesn't mean you should insult other people. I don't believe in God or the Soul, but I do believe in rebirth of character. For Buddhists, one of the reasons we don't harm other living things is because they were our parents in some past life.
DC1346
DC134606/27/2013 20:41:32
Although Christian missionaries converted my grandparents in China from Buddhism to Christianity, we have always retained a belief in reincarnation.

Even though I was born in the states and raised as an American, I've never quite understood the finality of Heaven or Hell. When measured against eternity, the idea of being sent one place or the other based upon your behavior while you were alive seems dreadfully extreme.

Our former Buddhist beliefs were that we progress through the wheel of life until our souls are pure and we can ascend to Nirvana. If this takes being reborn again and again and again until we learn all of the required lessons - so be it.

I've had some experience with past life regression. A few weeks ago, I dreamed that I was a Roman Centurion who was infuriated over the bumbling new recruits that I had received. I remember screaming in rage, beating them with a vine staff ... and here's the strange part ... I woke up shouting in LATIN.

I don't speak Latin.

I turned on a bed stand lamp and grabbed the notebook that I keep by my bed and wrote down what I had said. I then went on line looking for a Latin translation.

As far as I can tell, what I was shouting was, "Fall in! Form testudo! (tortoise formation) You idiots!"

When I shared this experience with a friend who is a devout Christian, his only response was that perhaps I had watched a war movie about the Romans and had somehow remembered the Latin dialogue. The problem with this is that although I have watched such war movies, none of them have had any Latin dialogue. They've all been in English.

Over the years I've had other memories. I once had a disturbing dream of having been in the German Wehrmacht during WW II. I was with a comrade in a kamphvagen (jeep) and we were pinned down in a square by members of the French resistance in Paris.

I had this dream when I was just a boy and one day while at the library I opened a book about WW II and saw a chilling picture. There was a German vehicle in a French square with two soldiers from the German Wehrmacht crouched beside it. A caption read that these men had been pinned down by members of the French resistance in Paris as Allied Forces were approaching this city. When I turned the page, another picture showed both men lying dead. Their crumpled bodies lay beside their vehicle.

I jumped to my feet and began shouting in German. I don't speak German. I have no idea what I said, but it didn't sound very pleasant. A librarian came running and ordered me out of the library.
A friend later suggested that I had probably confused the events and that I had seen the picture in the book prior to having the dream ... but if this was so, how did I come to speak German?

I have no logical explanation for either of these events.

Star the magic vegan
Star the magic vegan08/18/2014 18:58:34
In Buddhism there is no belief in a 'soul' and there is no omnipotent over lording God. However, there is reincarnation. Buddhists see it more like recycling. The mind continues, but this is more like a universal mind of life that we all participate in with our individual actions and thought formations comprising it with the animals, fish, birds and trees.

I once was at a peridontist having my wisdom teeth pulled as a boy because of crowding teeth in my small mouth. They put me under anesthesia. When I awoke, the doctor and nurses where white, pale with fright. They only pulled two and left the lowers. I asked why, and they said I spoke in some ancient Latin or Greek language and was angry and told them to leave the rest of my teeth alone. I do not speak these languages, and the wierd part is, they understood me.
seanubs
seanubs08/24/2014 20:04:06
This will sound weird, but it is a pure and peaceful way of life. There is no violence in it. I seek no violence and this is what it means to be Buddha.

I know I have past lives. I was not an animal of food (or was I?), but this thought always disrupts me: to hope that one day all the suffering and death to those innocents to be reincarnated into a better life. It reconnects me with this virtue that, yes, my life is blessed. But at the same time I am damned for living as a lonely person in this miserable effed up world. I wish that I could fix everything.

Which goes back to my point: I died for my beliefs in my past life whether it be true or I am just crazy but there are many things people do not know about me that only I know about myself truly.

The more good you do in this life, the easier it is the next life for that person to be as happy as that same person was before. And for this, I thank my past life for giving me my knowledge of morality. I am very different from my family and there are certain reasons....

so yes, reincarnation is a possibility. No one knows the truth to anything. Facts support truth, but only until facts can be changed or broken. There is nothing that holds life together but the positive and negative energies.

Namaste
Helen Woodard
Helen Woodard11/02/2014 21:30:04
The awareness came through meditation and the awareness was based in vegetarianism -- because people started remembering their past lives.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.