Join the conversation

Planning a Trip to San Diego

gr8vegan
Posted by gr8vegan at 09/16/2008

I've heard about Spread / Stephanie's Bakery, and most of the listings on HC. Any insider tips? What's not to miss? I went to SDSU over a decade ago so I'm assuming a LOT has changed!

Responses

HM
HM at 09/16/2008 17:37:29
lemme know how it goes. I'm going to be going to San Diego too. Not sure exactly when yet (it's part of a dog rescue project in Mexico), but I know I'll be there for an over night Thursday and Saturday before coming back Sunday night (Mexico Friday night). So let me know how it goes. And if you hit any other yummy spots. I figure while running around after dogs in the heat of Mexico I should have no problem burning off any excessive caloric intake!
meow
Tatiana
Tatiana at 09/16/2008 19:24:49
If either of you like raw food, Cilantro Live was excellent when I went there last year.
gr8vegan
gr8vegan at 09/22/2008 18:12:12
Shopping: All Vegan Store - Has a good selection of men and woman's shoes & purses. Tons of vegan stickers and buttons. Chocolates.
Eats: Stephanie's Bakery is so fantastic we went there 3 times.... Don't miss the sandwiches. Hot Salami, etc.
Spread was great. You need to be in the mood for food adventure.
Veg-N-Out is a decent americana veg place. Everything with a Heart on the menu can be vegan. Their homemade veggie burger (ultimate vegan) is the best.
People's Co-op right next to Stephanies has an all vegan deli upstairs that does vegan breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks! Its outstanding!
kindlizard
kindlizard at 09/23/2008 02:03:55
salami?! I have heard of vegan meats before but never salami. details... was it gross/remind you of real salami?
that just blew part of my mind...
kindlizard
kindlizard at 09/23/2008 12:00:59
is it part of a log or tube like ti used to be?
Tom
Tom at 10/30/2008 12:24:26
We went to S.D. twice last year and loved it ! Tons of great veg options everywhere. One definite to check out is the Ocean Beach "Peoples" food co-op, they are a 10,000 member completely vegetarian organic co-op, incredible. They serve a vegan breakfast buffet every day in their cafe where you pay by weight, as well as lunch I believe. We only went for breakfast and it was delish. In Pacific Beach there is a spot called the "Vegan Zone" which was quite good with a nice variety of food. There's also a funky Mexican spot downtown, which I can't recall the name of right now, that offers tons of veg options, including "soyrizo", our absolute favorite filling. S.D. has great bus and trolley service, we never rented a car while there.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.