Join the conversation

Vegetarian in Indonesia and Singapore

Posted by voraciousbookworm at 05/02/2008

Hi there, I will be travelling to Singapore and Indonesia this summer and I was wondering if they are vegetarian friendly. I am not too worried about Singapore since it's a developed country and there should be a number of veggie choices for me there, but I am a little concerned about Indonesia. People have been telling me it's hard to find veggie food in Indonesia, and my family there is not vegetarian at all. In fact, I don't think they understand the concept of vegetarianism.. they say I am missing out because meat is so delicious. Will they have vegetarian options in Indonesia? Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chia at 05/02/2008 15:38:49
Hey voraciousbookworm,

Eating vegetarian in parts of Indonesia is relatively easy (definitely possible), since some areas are under Buddhist influence. My husband says the Indonesians make the best tempeh.

Check out HappyCow's extensive list of veggie and veg-friendly restaurants.

Singapore has over 100 pure veg restaurants!
voraciousbookworm at 05/04/2008 10:39:45
Thanks so much, Chia! What a relief :)
vanessa2009 at 10/17/2009 00:08:41
Places selling vegetarian food are aplenty in Singapore. Almost everywhere you go, you can find Chinese vegetarian eateries within walking distance. Chinese vegetarian food stalls (those at coffee shops and hawker centers) will usually have the option of rice/rice vermicelli/noodles and the choice of 3 different dishes (mix vegetables rice) to go with it. I usually like to try out their other local Chinese dishes, such as fried rice, fried hor fun (flat Chinese rice noodle), and won ton mee (noodles served usually with mock pork and mock meat dumplings).Besides the local Chinese food, these stalls sometimes sell other traditional dishes inspired by the other ethnic groups. Some of these dishes include tom yam and mee siam (inspired by Thailand), mee rebus (Malay inspired), laksa peranakan (Chinese and Malay inspired) and curry (Indian inspired).

You need to be logged in or registered to post.