Join the conversation

girl 16, need help and advice!!!! fast

NorwegianForselius
Posted by NorwegianForselius at 05/28/2014

Hello. I started a vegan diet for 3 years ago. Since i was that young and were afraid to go against my very angry mother i stoped after 4 months. I also dindt make any money for myself so i was hard because she said i were going to pay for it myself. she taugt it was like force taughts and that i was going mad. This year im 16 and i just cant STAND the taught about meat generally. Im feeling sick! I know my mom will flipp totally out but i just cant do this anymore. I hate myself for eating meat EVERY day and have since i starting realicing where meet came from in a early age. I don't know how to talk to her about because she wont listen! She is really against this whole vegan diet thing! i also wonder if anyone could help me with this whole money thing. Do someone of you feel so open that you can tell me like how much it will cost in the month? mooving to an apartment in 2-3 months so it will be much savings and stuff.. generally do someone of you got advices for me when it comes to this whole process thing. Just tell me anything, it would help so much. really nervous over here.. and btw, in Norwegian so sorry for some bad english, haha.. hope to hear something from anyone, much love

Responses

Cascadian
Cascadian05/28/2014 12:00:46
Sorry that I missed you in chat - please stop in again sometime soon.

Personally, I became Vegan when I was 14 - over 22 years ago now. All of my children have been Vegan since the start, the oldest will be 18 next year!

I suggest finding reputable information that you can provide your mother on how having a Vegan diet can be done easily and healthfully. Perhaps these folks can help you with this: http://oslovegetarfestival.no/

Best wishes! :-)
ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa05/29/2014 05:51:26
NorwegianForselius-

Offer her a brief handout (thousands available for free from PETA, PCRM and countless other organizations).

If she won't read it, ask her as a favor to you.

If she reads it and asks questions, refer her to PCRM or offer to buy her a book...
happycowgirl
happycowgirl05/31/2014 13:02:48
Hello NorweignForselius,
When you say you're moving in 2-3 months, are you moving out of your mother's house? or are you moving with your mother?
happycowgirl
happycowgirl05/31/2014 13:04:21
NorweignForselius,
Check your DM messages.
happycowgirl
happycowgirl05/31/2014 14:59:32
I believe this is a vegetarian group in Norway. Website is in Norwegian. Maybe this will be of help:
http://veg-veg.no
DunkiesandDimeys
DunkiesandDimeys06/18/2014 13:16:06
Vegetarianism is definitely not more expensive than a meat-eating diet. In fact, it'll probably save you money over the long-run in doctor's visits. You'll have a much lower chance of developing heart disease, diabetes, etc., and you will be getting a lot more nutrients that meat-eaters often forget about. Vegetables are very rich in nutrients, and most meat-eaters don't eat enough of them. A lot of them even give you anti-oxidant benefits, which will help prevent cancer.

I always taught veggie burgers were expensive, until I started paying attention to how much my mother spends just for a pack of pre-made hamburgers. If you cut out fancy things like veggie burgers and veggie dogs, you'll save even more.

I know how you feel. I was afraid to tell my mom about going vegetarian, too. Since my mother didn't prepare me meals, I started eating whatever I could find in the house that was vegetarian. Eventually, she figured it out, and I learned that she was very supportive of my dietary choices.

www.cafepress.com/dunkiesanddimeys
DunkiesandDimeys
DunkiesandDimeys06/18/2014 13:16:53
*thought, not taught

www.cafepress.com/dunkiesanddimeys
AndyT
AndyT06/19/2014 20:07:38
Hello Norvegian forselius,

also from my side the best and heartfelt wishes to make your lifestyle change.

You might want to take a look at this book, as it specifically deals with the challenges a teenager faces when going vegan (it was written by one):
http://www.amazon.com/Generation-Complete-Guide-Staying-Teenager/dp/1604863382

There are two main reasons why your mother might not want to agree with you going vegan.

1) She is afraid it might not be healthy, and wants the best for you.

This - luckily - is the easier objection to overcome.

Take a look at the decision paper on vegan and vegetarian diets of the american dietitians association (the worlds largest organization of dietitians)

n: http://www.eatright.org/About/Content.aspx?id=8357

"It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes. "

The key word here is "well planned". Yes, you need to take care of certain important nutrients to live a healthy life. Of course, people eating a non-vegan diet will most likely have to watch out even more, but as they are "normal", nobody asks them about it :-(

2) She feels bad about eating meat herself, and does not want you to "rub it in".

This is more difficult to overcome.
But really, it is your life and you need to make such a change for yourself. My suggestion would be to check if there are other people living vegan or vegetarian close to you who might lend you support in discussing with your family.

Again, wish you all the best luck!!!

Best regards,
Andy
diannaoftheoaks
diannaoftheoaks08/24/2014 16:26:51
I would suggest buying your own food and cooking it in the house and showing your parents how easy and good it is to be vegan. Use this opportunity as a teaching moment. You never know, they might join you-even for just one meal-and that would save an animal's life!

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.