Join the conversation

Vegan transition side effects

pdveg
Posted by pdveg at 05/04/2014

Hi guys,

I have recently become vegan and I have a ton of questions. I have particularly been worried about the bloating and gas and a seemingly larger waistline since going vegan. I have never been much of a meat eater so my transition was down to eliminating seafood, dairy, and eggs. I am eating noticeably more fruits and veggies, I also increased my intake of grains. I haven't gone vegan for weight loss (I'm already slim), but I still wouldn't like to go up in size. I have to admit sneaking a couple of small dates here and there as the foods I've been eating lately are less calorie dense than before, and I was wondering if all the extra sugar coming from fruits, veggies and those dates could turn into an extra pound or two.

Apart from the bloating issue I've been feeling amazing (even the fact that my skin broke out at first didn't bother me!) and I am glad I finally took a step towards a healthier and mindful living.

Thanks!

Responses

JckLyzz
JckLyzz05/04/2014 06:23:23
Actually, I'm on the same boat as you, but it's getting better as I've read the food combining rules . Maybe you should try reading about it from books or internet. Oh, and drink enough water! Hope that helps! :)
pdveg
pdveg05/04/2014 08:13:15
JckLyzz, thanks!
StephenS
StephenS05/10/2014 11:13:27
Yah Folks! - Congrats - stay strong, the "negative" issues you are experiencing are temporary and far outweighed by the "positive" ones you will reap, as well as those you'll give to the rest of the world.
When my GF went Vegan she experienced many of the same issues you discuss. after a couple months of frustration she saw an OMD/Nutritionist. Upon the OMD advice, she spent 3 months on a very simple diet - at each meal she had 1(one) grain, 3(three) vegetables of different colors and 15 grams of protein at least 3 times a day. By the end of the 3 months she was healthier than she had ever been, had toned out amazingly(yum), and now can eat whatever she wants(she still chooses vegan) with no "side effects".
I'm not saying this particular transition diet will work for everyone (but I bet it would), but I do think the key is to not overload your system with a bunch of carbs (a major 1st time vegan mistake), get protein, and stock up on an array of differently sourced fresh vitamins and nutrients.
- Good Luck folks, and don't forget to check out the recipe section here on Happy Cow, as well as the blogs, and if possible, try to find a local Vegan group that you can get support and camaraderie from.
- Cheers :)

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.