Join the conversation

book recommendation

ahimsa32fa
Posted by ahimsa32fa at 03/06/2014

No new comments in the Forum for three days, so I thought I'd try to get a new conversation going.

Have many of you read Jim Mason's "Unnatural Order"? He co-wrote "Animal Factories" and "The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter" with Peter Singer (author of the classic, "Animal Liberation").

"Unnatural Order" has been near the top of my all-time favorite book list for many years. I strongly suggest it to all here.

Responses

happycowgirl
happycowgirl03/06/2014 16:58:13
Thank you for posting this. I hadn't heard of Unnatural Order. I googled and, wow!, does this look like a great read.

The best summary I read was from Publisher's Weekly:

"Coauthor with Peter Singer of Animal Factories , the classic expose of the cruelty of mechanized animal farming and slaughter, Mason here writes an eloquent, important plea for a total rethinking of our relationship to the animal world. He analyzes the West's "dominionist" worldview which exalts humans as overlords and owners of other life, an outlook that he believes is rooted in millennia of animal husbandry. Speculating that dominionism arose with the transition from ancient mother-goddess religions to patriarchy, he ambitiously links our current exploitation and domination of nature to fears of our own animal nature, repressive antisexual attitudes, misogyny, curtailment of women's power, racism and colonialism. Human brains and thought processes evolved through close contact with animals, Mason argues, and restoring our kinship with animals is central to bridging the rift between humanity and nature. His powerfully argued manifesto will change many readers' attitudes toward hamburgers, animal experimentation, hunting and circuses."

If anyone is interested, it's available thru Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/An-Unnatural-Order-Destruction-Nature/dp/1590560817/ref=tmm_pap_title_0
AndyT
AndyT03/26/2014 01:04:14
So does he suggest going vegan?
Or is he in the "humane meat etc." camp?
ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa03/26/2014 11:02:56
Neither Mr. Singer or Mr. Mason are in the "humane meat" camp.

It was largely Mason's "Unnnatural Order" that inspired my third book, "The First ISM".

Jim was kind enough to read the original draft for my book and make corrections and suggestions. He told me his book had been criticized for revealing problems, but not offering enough solutions and complemented me on including 120 pages of possible solutions.

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.