Join the conversation

what vitamins should i take?

christy007
Posted by christy007 at 02/26/2014

Im a new vegetarian, i do eat fish, and eggs and cheese

Responses

IWantSunshine
IWantSunshine02/27/2014 04:48:23
Alive multivitamins are said to be all vegetarian/vegan. See them here: www.feelalive.com
ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa02/27/2014 06:26:52
I like what Dr. Norman Shealy said forty years ago...
"Rather than spend your money on vitamins and supplements, buy a good book on nutrition and spend the rest on healthy food".

Shealy was the founder of the American Holistic Medical Association.
Laylah
Laylah03/03/2014 06:04:37
I supplement B vitamins only.
Shailluis
Shailluis06/29/2014 23:27:26
I like viaminC because all the products of vitamin C are juicy.......
StephenS
StephenS07/06/2014 13:38:15
Hi Christy. With your current pescetarian / ovo / lacto diet you should be pretty good, as long as you are also getting a healthy mix of whole grains, fruits and vegetables. As you begin to cut out the animal products you may need to start thinking a bit out of the box compared to what you are used to, but even once you go full Vegan, a healthy and thriving diet is easier without Vitamins.
A good rule of thumb is "4 Colors". this just means that at each meal you should strive for a MINIMUM of 4 different colors on your plate. This doesn't mean beige, brown, dark brown and tan - think more - Bright Red, Orange, White and Green - or Purple, Yellow, Green and Brown.
Also - if you are feeling a specific lack of some particular vitamin or nutrient, I think I would also recommend a good book on (veg/an) Nutrition and then trying to supplement the things you feel you need with whole foods and fresh processed (smoothies/juices etc.) foods rather than vitamins. A book I recommend is "Healing With Whole Foods", but there are a lot of good choices out there, and you can get a lot of good recommendations by exploring some of the forum and blog posts on the Happy Cow Site.
As for me - besides going beyond the "4 Color" rule, I also weekly enjoy using;
Nutritional Yeast - B Vitamins
Flax Seed Oil - Omegas
Spirulina - Iron and Chlorophyll
- Also - a great natural way to make sure you're getting all the vitamins you need is by making juice from Irish Sea Moss / and or Grass. Sea Moss Juice has something like 92 vitamins and minerals / and Grass juice (chlorophyll) has 72 vitamins and minerals including Iron. You can watch instructional videos about making these juices on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_cliCntlrs&list=UUnAVj_eeV3BcYAt5aY-cW8A
Good luck and cheers on your path to veg health!!

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.