Join the conversation

Vegetarianism Questionnaire

IzzyBowditch
Posted by IzzyBowditch at 02/25/2014

Hello all! I'm currently in my final year of high school and for my major work in society and culture I'm focusing on the social effects of vegetarianism- which will be worth 40% of my mark. If you're a type of vegetarian (any at all!) and from a western country such as American, Australia, England, etc, it would be awesome if you could take 5 minutes out of your day to complete this questionnaire for me! Thank you :)
Find the questionnaire here- https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FTRPBYR

Responses

Laylah
Laylah02/26/2014 04:19:32
Done :) Good luck with your work :)
ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa02/26/2014 06:44:54
Couldn't access your survey. But here's something from my last book, about Social Psychology...

Social Psychology is the study of relationships, from the most profound to the trivial, and the effects of those relationships on all those involved. A fine, broad definition.

But in virtually all college classrooms, the subject is taken to mean only relationships between humans. It ignores the very real relationships that we have with all the non human animals that we eat, wear, breed, buy, sell, or "use" in any way, and very importantly, the effect of such relationships on both us and them.

We may not often consciously think of the animals that we pay to have killed in slaughterhouses, but we are a very important part of their lives (and deaths), and the effect of our participation in this killing may have profound effects on our psyche.
StephenS
StephenS03/01/2014 10:57:57
Hey Izzy - just did the survey - Good Luck.
I do believe questions 8 and 9 should both have an option for "more info" like the other questions. In regards to question 8 - though I don't believe veg/ans have "bragging rights' or "are better", I do believ we have the right and need to profess truthfully about our diets as well as point out the inefficiencies and discrepancies in a meat based diet.
As for question 9 - we should be able to point out that vegetarianism is in no way a fad as evidenced by the thousands of years of history of vegetarian diets in places like China and India - as well as the anthropological and archeological evidence of the great veg early humans like Australopithecus Robustus - one of the largest and a vegetarian.
Anyhoo - great topic. Hope you rock it!!
ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa03/02/2014 08:15:31
Great points, Stephen.

I'll disagree slightly regarding Australopithecus.
They and other proto-humans were omnivores whose diet was close to the vegetarian end of the spectrum, much like dogs are omnivores closer to the carnivorous end of the spectrum.

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.