Join the conversation

Can I make this bread in a bread machine?

Posted by OceanBreathesSalty at 03/17/2014

Please excuse my bread making ignorance; I don't do much baking at all. I've used a bread maker a total of three times recently to make gluten-free vegan bread for my partner. I want to make a recipe(today) for myself that is meant to be made in one of those little..bread..pans. I don't have any such thing so I want to attempt to make it in the bread maker. Please tell me how(what settings, if it's even possible, etc). Thanks! Recipe: Lemon Loaf

2 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
zest of one or two lemons (optional)
2/3 cup lemon juice (fresh is best, but the other stuff is good too)
2/3 cup vegan milk (I used vanilla soy milk)
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
Lemon Glaze

1 cup icing sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350?. Prepare a loaf pan with dairy-free cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.

Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.

In a separate bowl combine lemon zest, lemon juice, vegan milk, oil and vanilla extract. Add to dry ingredients and mix until combined. Scrape the batter into the loaf pan. Bake for about 60 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Let sit in the pan for a few minutes, then turn it upside down on a rack to cool.

Once cooled, combine the ingredients for the lemon glaze and pour over the loaf.

Redheaded Vegan
Redheaded Vegan at 04/05/2014 02:11:40
Hi there,

I'm no bread maker expert, but the recipe above is for quick bread. Regular breads need a lot of mixing and time to rest and rise, where as quick breads are meant to be made and cooked right away.

I think (though I'm not positive) that some bread makers have a setting that makes it possible for them to be used for such recipes. I would suggest you look for articles about making quick breads in a bread maker.

Best of luck!
JoeDuane at 03/23/2015 07:48:46
I have two breadmaking machines an make my own bread. It is cost effective and I can try out different stuff. I make about 300 breads every year an I've already worn out completely one breadmaking machine.

My favourite recipe is used in a nutrition calculation software (I like to calculate carbs etc) . Go to and click the "Tutorial video: creating recipes".

Per your recipe. You got a lot of sugar? Looks like a cake-recipe, albeit testy.
ahimsa32fa at 03/23/2015 08:58:17
Refined white sugar may or may not be vegan. Some companies still use bone as a filter in the process. You won't find out by reading anything on the package.

You can't rely on "brown" sugar, may just be refined white sugar with something added to make it brown.

I don't use a lot of sweeteners anyway, - often just using dried fruit that has been soaked for a while before adding to the mix.

When I do use sweeteners, I stick to organic versions from reputable companies. My favorite for forty years has been maple syrup.

You need to be logged in or registered to post.