Join the conversation

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian to Ovo Vegetarian

abeebuzz1993
Posted by abeebuzz1993 at 12/11/2013

Hi,

I've been a vegetarian for 3 years now and have always wanted to try veganism. However, after much consideration, I figured veganism would be very very difficult given I'm on a particularly tight budget at university and I live with my omnivore partner.

I have finally settled on a compromise of becoming ovo vegetarian and giving up the dairy but not the eggs (eggs seem to be in everything!). I will only be buying free-range eggs or products with free-range eggs which is the same as when I was lacto-ovo,

Do you guys have any advice? I just ate my first soya yoghurt and it was actually better than a normal yoghurt. My main worry is eating out and when on holiday next June. It is a British cruise I am going on though so it shouldn't be too bad, should it?

Responses

ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa12/15/2013 09:53:46
"Free range" eggs are largely a myth. If you let the chickens out of their cages for an hour a day, that can legally be called "free range".

So most laying hens have a horrible life and are slaughtered at several months of age when their egg production drops off.

Keep in mind that studies show more than half of all eggs produced in the US test positive for Salmonella, and thorough cooking is required for safety.

If you feel the need to eat eggs, get them from someone you know that actually treats their birds with respect and compassion.
dodo
dodo01/28/2014 10:30:39
my advice to you is to act in a way life allows you in this particular moment.
IMO, any change for benefit of animals is welcome and even little changes like moving from Lacto-Ovo to OVO makes difference.
when my sister went fishtarian (diet in which only meat you eat is fish), i was sad she didnt went vegetarian or vegan but on the other side i'm thankful she cast the meat out.
i'm sure you'll go vegan as soon life allows you :)
MHC48
MHC4801/30/2014 13:33:07
By June you should be a lot more comfortable with the changes in your diet. For the cruise consider bringing some food or snacks that you know you can go to when the urge strikes. Also cruise ships are very familiar with dietary restrictions, contact the cruise company before going, they will probably be happy to provide or suggest meals that conform to whatever your diet is then.
ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa02/02/2014 06:18:35
Every step forward is commendable.
But don't buy into the notion that fish is not "meat". Meat is the flesh of animals. Fish, like us, are also members of the animal kingdom.
A century ago, when people learned about the horrors of the slaughterhouse, meat consumption dropped off. The fish industry very cleverly began to use the phrase "meat AND fish" so people would separate the two and continue to eat their products.
dodo
dodo02/03/2014 05:25:52
yeah, i did everything i could with my sis.
i showed her Earthlings and she was disturbed.
anyway she chose to eat fish :/
well i'm still happy she does not eat ground animals.
i hope she'll go vegan when she matures little more.
ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa02/04/2014 07:20:06
It's a slower process for some, and that's OK.

I stepped away from eating any flesh in 1975. It took me another decade to end my dairy days (I lived in Wisconsin at the time!) and a few more years to understand vegan philosophy. It involved extensive reading and personal experience. I was very fortunate to have bumped into some wonderful teachers, including bushy-tailed "Jacob" who shared with me for fourteen years.
TheVegetableAddict
TheVegetableAddict02/12/2014 08:26:20
Sometimes being a vegetarian or a vegan takes a lot of persistence. I follow a certain quote from Steve Jobs when I go through challenges with my lifestyle choices. "Here's To The Crazy Ones. The misfits. The rebels. The trouble-makers. The round pegs in the
square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have
no respect for the status-quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify, or vilify them.
About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the
human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world - are the ones who DO !"

Whether you are a vegan, vegetarian, or a lacto ovo veg*n don't worry about what people think about your diet. Just keep going and follow your heart. In terms of eggs I found that they were hard to avoid, but they were also in a lot of junk foods and foods that I'd probably be better off not eating anyway. Tofu has all the nutrients that are eggs and at home I fry up some black beans for protein especially since I workout three times a week. Eggs are easy to avoid if you tell everyone at restaurants and parties that your "allergic" to them. I know your stretching the truth, but try it. ;)

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.