Join the conversation

Red Robin Commercial

DC1346
Posted by DC1346 at 06/14/2013

Have any of you seen the new Red Robin commercial? They talk about all of their specialty burgers and then mentioned that they also have a garden burger. As a closing comment ... and I'm sure they meant this to be amusing ... but after saying that they had garden burgers, they said they had these for teenage girls who were concerned about their figures.

As a 52 year old male vegan, I am not a "teenage girl" and teenage girls are surely not the only demographic who are concerned about weight loss.

I was somewhat offended by this commercial. Was anyone else offended? As a relatively new vegan, am I being overly sensitive?

In the meanwhile - last night, some friends invited me to go to a local diner for dinner. The diner was not vegan friendly. I wound up having a baked potato with no cheese or butter or sour cream. After some discussion with the server ... and later the manager because the server couldn't give me anything that was off the menu ... I got the plain baked potato topped with pan fried onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms with a side of what were clearly canned vegetables.

I've only been vegan for a year and am profoundly disappointed that although some local restaurants in my rural area have given lip service to the idea of vegetarian meals (which in my area are all lacto-ovo), there's really nothing locally available for vegans.

One would think that a vegan meal might be available from one of the two local Chinese restaurants ... but no ... even the stir fried vegetable dishes use oyster sauce rather than a vegan alternative like mushroom soy sauce.

The local Mexican restaurants also seem to top everything with cheese. Although I suppose I could have a tostada or burrito without cheese, quite frankly I don't see the point of going to a Mexican restaurant just to have a plain bean burrito or bean tostada topped with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions.

Living in a rural area is definitely challenging for my vegan sensibilities. If I go out to eat with friends, I've found that I pretty much have to eat before I go.

My own cooking is so much more flavorful and at home I have access to tofu based vegan sour cream as well as soy cheese. This is incidentally why I've been writing a vegan cookbook series called The Unintentional Vegan, Vegan Version Recipes of Popular Comfort Foods.

As a vegan, I don't see why I have to avoid my formerly favorite foods simply because they're not vegan ... so I've been creating recipes to create vegan versions of everything I once enjoyed. I have a blog at unintentionalvegan.com if you'd like to learn more about this ongoing project.

Responses

seanubs
seanubs06/19/2013 14:12:54
Congrats on your job! I too found a job working part-time and I will shift to something that pays more and better in the future. I really am happy for your encouraging words from before :)

I ignore all the commercials just because everything is very stereotypical and the media is something that you have to either love or hate. Advertising has gotten WAY out of hand and I think it is dumbing down society to make them into zombies that think what is healthy and what isn't. But hey, call me a hippy or a tree hugger (I know you won't) but other people that ARE vegans like us don't buy into such ignorance we just live our lives in peace avoiding death and above all a guilt-free life. No one is going to piss me off, I already don't let little things like that get to me anymore just because I am happy being who I am and I am not guilty for embracing my inner peace.

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.