Join the conversation

Why did you become a Vegetarian?

AshtonLucien
Posted by AshtonLucien at 05/20/2013

Hi All,
I'm conducting a short survey for my Environmental Science class.

Please share with me your your reasoning behind becoming a Vegetarian or Vegan!

(A) Animal Welfare/Animal Rights
(B) Health/Reduced Risk of Disease
(C) Environmental Conservation - (Fossil fuels, pollution, destruction of rain forests, etc.)
(D) Other - Please Share!

Any participation is greatly appreciated!

Responses

Ssserica
Ssserica05/21/2013 18:39:34
I originally became a vegitarian a accidentally because meat slowly began to repulse me.

More recently it started from health reasons and then cascaded to environment and animal rights I want to become vegan for the same reasons in that order
deliabee
deliabee05/22/2013 10:09:10
I am becoming vegetarian for health reasons and because the video I just watched about animal "farming" made me sick to my stomach.
Jared.In-Bloom
Jared.In-Bloom05/22/2013 11:12:36
Health reasons,but the Environmental issues are important to me as well.
Lindacblakeney
Lindacblakeney06/04/2013 04:20:08
it started out as wanting to improve my health. After doing research to that end, the more I learned about the whole subject of health and animal farming it progressed to health and animal welfare.
fogtime
fogtime08/05/2013 00:19:35
Other.

I found out kind of late that those hot dogs I'd been eating for years were from pigs. It upset me, but being a kid (thus unable to buy my own foods), and not having many food chooses, I continued to eat them. So I would have to say that the availability of vegetarian/vegan options made a huge difference in my giving up animal products. I would still be eating hamburgers if vegetarian burgers weren't an option. I would still be drinking cow's milk if almond milk wasn't an option. I figure that if I can find a healthy alternative to consuming animal products, then why not? Why consume animal products when we don't have to? I get it if you live somewhere on a cold plateau where plants don't grow well and you eat meat. I get it if there has been a drought and you are starving to death. I get it. It's called survival. But if you live in a modern city where you can easily find a huge variety of non-animal foods and beverages, then why are you still eating meat and consuming cow's milk?
Egesa
Egesa08/08/2013 01:42:11
I became vegetarian, then vegan, purely because of ethics. Although there were many things leading up to it, there was a moment when I realised that humans and all other sentient beings are all in the same boat. After that, I didn't want to eat meat, and it became repulsive. I later read about the reasons some people are vegan, and agreed. Environmental and health reasons didn't have anything to do with my decision, although they add to my gladness.
Tashaleiahh
Tashaleiahh08/11/2013 17:52:50
I became vegetarian because I didn't know veganism existed. After I learned about veganism, vegetarianism wasn't enough, in fact it hardly seemed productive at all. But ethics I think is the answer you're looking for lol
Carolineveg
Carolineveg08/16/2013 14:36:32
I became a vegetarian because of ethics, I wanted to support animals. Soon though I'm planning on going vegan :) I didn't even think about the other reasons for going vegetarian until I started reading up about it which was after I was already vegetarian.

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.