Join the conversation

Vitamin B 12

irishmouse
Posted by irishmouse at 03/31/2013

After twenty years of being a vegetarian I have decided to take the leap and become a vegan. I am told that vegan's need B12 supplements, and am confused about whether a vegan B12 vitamin is available. Since most B12 comes from the stomach linings of animals (gross) can anyone point me in the direction of a vegan supplement? Thank you very much.

Responses

IngridV
IngridV03/31/2013 15:59:13
b12 for vegan is something chemical . i live in france so i can't really tell you any brand but it's definetely ok and really useful!
do a blood test in 6 month and see. it seems that people are really unequal w b12 need. I myself was already lacking badly of b12 beeing just vegetarian, in contrary i ve some vegan friend, that have been vegan for years and have a sufficient among of b12 in their cells.
irishmouse
irishmouse04/01/2013 12:17:08
Thank you for your response Ingrid! I will look for the vegan version and have the blood level checked six months from now.
SeekerOfTheWay
SeekerOfTheWay04/01/2013 14:21:26
I take Jarrow Formulas Methyl B-12 5000 MCG tabs. It is a vegan formula. Expensive but needed. I have never had my B12 levels checked but I assume that after 10 years vegan, I have depleted my stored B12. It is tasty too.

I also look for B12 fortified foods.
irishmouse
irishmouse04/02/2013 13:24:36
Thank you SeekerOfTheWay, I will look for it. I appreciate your help.
beastodon
beastodon04/06/2013 13:02:59
Hey does anyone know where they source this methyl B-12 from, like is it synthetic?

B/c from what I understand if it was not synthetic then it would have to be sourced from an animal?

I can't find any info on this, but some methyl B-12 supp's do claim to be vegan, i know the cheaper form cyan b-12 is synthetic and made in a lab.

i'm going to start getting a methyl B-12 lozenge b/c i think i need it being so physically active, my multi does not have the methyl form and most multi's only have the cheaper less absorbed cyan b-12.

anyways b-12 is only absorbed properly through sublingual or injection so this is a crucial individual vitamin to be buying. Thanks, just wondering where most methyl B-12 comes from...
knightofalbion
knightofalbion04/07/2013 05:26:20
For the record, scientists recently dicovered that white button mushrooms are a dietary source of vitamin B -12.
So the old chestnut 'there are no non-animal sources of vitamin B - 12' doesn't apply anymore.
Here is the link
www.pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf9010966
East Eden
East Eden04/08/2013 19:35:10
I believe some nutritional yeast has B12, depending on the brand. I believe you can purchase even at GNC stores. i get mine at Wholefoods...
vegebald
vegebald04/17/2013 13:35:27
I've been a vegan for 29 years, have had two bouts of B12 deficiency, and watch it more closely now. I currently get my B12 from a product called RevvNRG, an all-natural nutritional-energy supplement based almost entirely on Brazilian Rainforest ingredients. Their b12 comes from Cyanocobalamin which is produced from bacterial fermentation. A couple of times per year, when I sense that I'm not getting enough b12, I might take a vitamin B complex that includes substantial b12, which I bought from Whole Foods. Did you know that Aloe Vera juice supposedly contains b12? (it's controversial)

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.