Join the conversation

Kill it, cook it, eat it

chloelogan90
Posted by chloelogan90 at 01/06/2013

Hi, i am a new member and i am seeking advice. My partner of 2 years has within the last year made the transition to being a gluten free vegan. I support her decision as it makes her feel better inside and out. I have felt the pressure to do the same thing but have resisted because i just don't think i could give it up as i enjoy take away items too much and don't particularly enjoy the food she cooks.

i was watching episodes of kill it, cook it, eat it last night with her (almost impossible to find online) and i saw an episode about pigs and cattle.
Each time they went to the slaughterhouse i wanted to cry because i didn't think they should have to die for our consumption.

so after this episode, i was willing to give the meat eating away. i am just not sure if i should try eating a vegetarian diet or a vegan diet... i think vegan is the ultimate ideal but i don't want to try and fail and just get caught back up in meat eating again.

Responses

happycowgirl
happycowgirl01/06/2013 17:06:10
Everybody goes about it differently. Personally, I think you'd be better off going vegetarian, then once you have that down and it comes naturally to you, consider going vegan. Actually, for your situation, you may want to go vegetarian for take away and at work/school and go vegan at home with your partner.

p.s. Welcome to Happy Cow!
JChan
JChan01/06/2013 20:16:14
Your response to the killing which became your food is a "correct" one because you're in touch with your original goodness. With that as a guiding principle or reason, one simply cannot feel free killing anything including bugs since the reason applies to all life. So having a vegan diet (eggs and milk are taken from tortured animals) is the logical consequence. However, if you still harbour some fear that the vegan diet doesn't give you all the nourishments you need for a healthy life, I say, don't worry because the plant based diet is hugely varied. If a cow/bull can be so powerful, so healthy so energetic eating only grass, we who have so much available to us at this time and age should be the last to worry. Only remember to open yourself to eat a wide variety of plant materials from root to leaves to fruits to nuts.... If you follow all the noises made by Happy Cow folks on what they're doing with food, I can't see how anyone could feel that a plant based diet is blander and less interesting than the meat diet. We just have to overcome our old, bad habits and fixations on certain tastes and smells. We vegans are people who walked the walk. Life is a journey till the end and the destination's not important. In taking a "new" path we look for doing the right thing, we look for a higher plateau of existence where our heart is filled with joy and freedom from guilt. You'll do OK.
Longdrive
Longdrive01/12/2013 08:17:48
This thread reminds me (not that I need reminding) of an issue that I have never been able to fathom, and likely never will during this incarnation: How can countless numbers of extremely sensive caring individuals remain animal exploiters? And, very often even when armed with a significant element of knowledge concerning exactly what cruelty goes down. Obviously every individual varies but there has to be strong shared issues. I just can't see them. Is it a combination of historical conditioning coupled with repressing thoughts of such issues? Beats me.
Longdrive
Longdrive01/20/2013 13:55:26
MORE THOUGHTS: I read so much brilliant advice on this forum on nutrition from HappyCowGirl and others, together of course with other nonsense such as 'Jesus was not vegan.' (I made that title up). One thought however repeatly returns, and I regret saying this: 'On all of many many trips to the USA I NEVER found any wholesome food, and many of our forum contributors are from that part of the world.' I believe that on all of my trips to the USA I managed to find a 'Walmart' and that appeared to be where most Americans sourced their tucker. However that supermarket stocked even basic foods in a format completely different to the U.K. Many innocent basic foods were 'boosted' with cow's milk - even baked beans! I even found some soya milk likewise boosted. Bread was the real eye opener. Most breads in Walmart were milk boosted. To find milk in any UK bread is unusual. But on occasions I was able to source USA 'sour bread' which was milk free. I never found a health store such as 'Holland and Barrett' or a vegetarian / vegan restaurant. Such places do however exist in parts of the USA, and vegans are clearly surviving there. But overall I class the country as being 'food hostile.' Indeed if I stayed there for longer than four days I was out of my suitcase stock of basics and I was losing weight too quickly to compete at sport. So, attack me if you will, if one does decide to go vegan in the USA the first step has to be to decide what basics one can buy and from where. This post may appear to be an attack on USA food. Indirectly indeed it is. I love the USA (food aside) but being a vegan there is possibly as difficult as Jesus might have found sourcing vegan footwear or soya beans.
ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa06/20/2013 06:55:39
Longdrive-
When you describe your friends as "extremely sensitive, caring individuals" you've put yourself in the trap of judging people's ethics only on how they treat other humans.

Is a person who cares deeply for other humans but hardly gives a second thought to how we treat all the other animals really a sensitive, caring person?

They are practicing "human racism" which in principle is no different than "white racism".

Human racism (or human supremacism, often called "speciesism") and traditional "racism", sexism, colonialism, elitism, etc., are all cuts of the same cloth...a mind set that discriminates against "others".

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.