Join the conversation

I ACCIDENTALLY ATE MEAT LAST NIGHT!!!!!

plur427
Posted by plur427 at 12/29/2012

Im a wreck!!!!

Ive been vegetarian for 5-6 years now and last night i went out to eat diner with friends, i orderd some pasta and a side of fries(im not vegan so there was cheese and sour cream) with jelepeno peppers and after i scarfed down my meal i noticed disgusting little brown chunks at the bottom of my dish....... BACON!!!!!!

My friend who used to be a vegetarian calmed me down at the scene but i cant handle myself i feel horrible!!! i debated whether to go waste my $30 meal by forcing myself to throw up but i decided against it (due to the fact i would look rediculous on front of my friends leaving to go throw up) now i dont know what to do i have dead rotting pig flesh in my system!!!

I need Advice!!! should i do a fast or a colon cleanse??? take a laxative??

Responses

happycowgirl
happycowgirl12/29/2012 11:44:17
Oh man, that seriously sucks. I've had that happen before and it's so gross. It sucks to know that you have the product of such violence in your body, becoming a part of you. If it were me, I'd take some fiber to get it out of my system as soon as possible. I've never done a colon cleanse but that sounds like it'd do the trick too.

Then, I'm not a religious person but I say a prayer for the animal. Like a special blessing for the particular pig who died for the bacon. It doesn't undo the damage, but I think it helps. That's just my thing, not for everyone probably.

Don't freak out too much though. It sucks but it happens.
Longdrive
Longdrive12/29/2012 14:41:52
There are two issues here: (i) Psychological damage, (ii) Physiological harm. The latter is essentially a non-starter, but the former is quite evident. The answer is straightforward. You need to do whatever you feel is necessary in order to again find balance within yourself. But, first forgive yourself. There is nothing to forgive - it was an accident - but you may well deem this to be necessary. Then, if you feel the need to cleanse your system then do so in a way which suits you. The internet is overloaded with appropriate advice. Finally, take more care of yourself in future. You owe it to yourself.
LilacBunny
LilacBunny12/29/2012 21:00:04
You didn't do it intentionally so please try not to beat yourself up too much. It's not really a vegan friendly world we are working with. Perhaps a quick cleanse would be good, both mentally and physically. :)
GaPTrixie
GaPTrixie12/30/2012 15:05:50
It's not your fault. You didn't do anything wrong. After all, we are all stardust, breathing the same molecules that were once some living thing, many moons ago. If it's anyone's fault, its the restaurant, for not being vegan, and not warning you. You deserve to complain to the restaurant, and to get your money back. I understand what you are going through, I have had spiraling thoughts like that as well. The best thing is to watch a comedy show, and reassure yourself that it's not your fault, at all! I don't think your any less of a vegetarian because of this incident, after all you weren't the chef who put bacon bits in that dish! Just imagine that pigs spirit is now a part of your soul, and living inside of you, and he or she knows you didn't mean it.
VeganSally
VeganSally12/30/2012 20:32:41
Maybe you got lucky and they were imitation bacon bits. Imitation bacon bits taste eerily like the real thing.
221B
221B01/01/2013 13:09:45
It's a horrible feeling, but I think many of us have been there, you're not alone on this one. It's happened to me a couple of times. When I was younger, about 3 or 4 years into life with a vegetarian diet I would freak out about it and thought it was the end of the world, now when it has happened I have found I am completely calm about it, almost detached even. I don't know why this has happened, just over the last year or two I think.
I suppose my belief is that being vegetarian is not someone who does not eat meat but rather someone who chooses not to eat meat; if you have eaten meat accidentally you are not compromised at all. Do not let it worry you, you have been a devoted vegetarian for 5-6 years, the accidental consumption of bacon bits on a single occasion can not affect that fact.

Please don't let this get at you, it's nothing to worry about. You're living an alternative lifestyle in a not so ideal world, things like these are unavoidable and it would be unhealthy and unfair to punish yourself for it.
MaccaMeri
MaccaMeri01/14/2013 11:31:12
It can be very upsetting when you find out your eatting something you were actually enjoying isn't vegetarian. I wouldn't go try and throw up, best you can do is move on and try to forget about the dinner.

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.