Join the conversation

I've got a question for any vegan on here.

Dblej
Posted by Dblej at 12/20/2012

How do you use the computer and go on the internet? When you use electricity you are consuming energy that was formed from the destruction of fossil fuels which was formed from not only the remains of plant matter, but also of animal matter. Isn't veganism not using/consuming any animal byproducts? Also when you use those fossil fuels don't you contribute to the destruction of our environment which leads to the destruction of animal habitats and the animals themselves? How do you live with yourselves knowing that the time you spend bored on the computer, watching tv, or playing video games contributes to the destruction of animals?

Responses

happycowgirl
happycowgirl12/20/2012 18:12:02
The key to veganism is the reasoning behind it. The goal of veganism is to try to reduce the amount of cruelty and suffering in this world. You are correct that using fossil fuels contributes to environmental destruction. And if I were to get on my bicycle and cruise down a hill, I'd probably kill a few bugs in the process. The truth is that living involves killing. The goal of a vegan is to minimize that killing and suffering as much as is possible.

So to answer your seemingly rude inquiry of how does one "live with themselves" for this, the answer is I go through life causing the least amount of suffering possible. As I become aware of different ways that my existence leads to the suffering of other living beings, I make efforts to minimize it. My actions - every meal I eat and product I buy - lead to a better world. Do yours?

Remember, it is not a matter of absolutism. The question is not, "Are you causing suffering?" The question is, "Are you trying to minimize the amount of suffering that your existence will inevitably cause?"
Chia
Chia12/20/2012 23:23:05
Dblej, why bother taking up space or even breath at all?
happycowgirl
happycowgirl12/21/2012 10:25:38
Dblej, on a related note, did you know that factory farming accounts for more greenhouse gas emissions than all transport combined?

The animal agriculture sector—which includes the production of feed crops, the manufacturing of fertilizer, and the shipment of meat, eggs, and milk—is responsible for 18% of all green house gas emissions. Factory farming uses massive inputs of fossil fuels. In fact, the farm animal sector annually accounts for:
9% of human-induced emissions of carbon dioxide
37% of emissions of methane, which has more than 20 times the global warming potential of carbon dioxide; and
65% of emissions of nitrous oxide, which has nearly 300 times the global warming potential of carbon dioxide.

A vegan diet uses substantially less energy than a diet based on animal products and therefore contributes much less to air pollution, acidification, oil spills, habitat destruction and global warming. In fact, a University of Chicago study comparing a typical US meat-based diet with a vegan diet found that the ‘typical' US diet generates the equivalent of nearly 1.5 tonnes more carbon dioxide per person per year than a vegan diet. The authors of the study concluded that it would be more environmentally effective to go vegan than to switch to a petrol electric hybrid car. Can you imagine the environmental benefits if everyone went vegan *and* drove a hybrid? So Dblej, the point is not to spend your time looking for the one instance where someone's actions harm the environment - because by merely existing we will have some negative impact on the environment - rather we should all look for ways to minimize our environmental impacts.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/29/AR2008042902602.html

http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/pdfs/farm/hsus-fact-sheet-greenhouse-gas-emissions-from-animal-agriculture.pdf
jive
jive12/22/2012 21:23:45
We're contributing to the destruction of animals who died million of years ago? Wow, I think Dblej just accused us of being time travelers.
vegebald
vegebald12/23/2012 01:07:03
Dblej is the type of ignoramus who can't even tell the difference between a carrot and an animal. We shouldn't give him the pleasure of even answering such an inane proposition...he does nothing but insult our intelligence.
Longdrive
Longdrive01/12/2013 10:12:11
It always intrigues me when anyone becomes offended by a person or persons who are trying to live their beliefs in such a way that it brings benefit to the world without harming anything or anyone. I have to ask the question: "Who has the problem here?" Of course one has to consider the possibility that the party offended is a saint But if such were the case surely a saint would exercise tolerance and respect, and even better - provide encouragement? Let's get back to basics: Dblej, you have clearly looked into veganism, and given it some thought. For whatever reason it has engendered what appears to be an emotional response. Emotional responses are prompted either from outside influences, or internal conflict. And, sometimes from a combination of both. Is there something troubling you about the way you lead your own life? Can we help? Can we start again on a more amicable basis?
ahimsa32fa
ahimsa32fa06/20/2013 07:00:41
vegebald-
I think Dblej asks a legitimate question, though it sounds like he is defending meat-eating.

But no matter what you think of his question, responding with logic, facts and ideas is far better than resorting to insults.
veronique2
veronique206/21/2013 02:25:05
Veganism is not about being perfect, it is about doing the best we can to reduce/eliminate suffering to the best of our abilities. There are things that we have control over and others that we don't. But, as Colleen Patrick-Goudreau often says, "just because we can't do everything doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything." The world will never be a better place if we put our heads in the sand because we somehow contribute to "some" cruelty to which we have no control. Veganims is the best solution for the planet and all the beings on it because it is the one which reduces suffering the most for everyone concerned. So not chosing Vegan means you have no interest whatsoever in improving the world at all and would rather choose convenience instead of making some efforts. I personally don't consider Veganism an effort, it just a small learning curve. Once we are there, it becomes second nature.

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.