Join the conversation

Asian Fried Tofu?

s2huang
Posted by s2huang at 09/03/2012

I often see this Fried Tofu or Marinated Tofu in Asian Restaurants. Are those vegan? since I know some Chinese restaurants use animal flavorings to wrap up the tofu and then deep fried.

Is Marinated Tofu safe?

Thanks!!

Responses

happycowgirl
happycowgirl09/03/2012 18:36:33
That's a really good question. I wonder if it varies from restaurant to restaurant. When making fried tofu at home, I know some people coat the tofu with egg, batter or flour before they fry it. So you'd have to be sure there was no egg used.

For marinated tofu, it probably depends on what ingredients are in the marinade. For example, a Thai Marinated Tofu may have fish sauce as an ingredient.
http://melissaraydavis.hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Cook_Tofu_Like_the_Pros

Wish I knew more about this. Maybe someone with restaurant experience can weigh in and let us know. : )
seanubs
seanubs09/11/2012 10:44:35
I don't order Tofu because they usually don't cook it all the way... The only thing I would say is that it is fried in oil that is not animal fat. When they fry it for me they just fry it I do not know how it is wrapped.
I'll ask them next time and shoot you a message. It should be less awkward asking this since I am fluent in Chinese.

I would just bake your tofu's. I set my oven to 350 and make the tofu into little squares or slices. Coat a pan with oil, then cook for 15 minutes one side and 15 minutes the other side. If you can't cook them through they should be tough enough at this point you can fry the rest in a pan. Healthier and better! Plus your worries are left behind :)

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.