Join the conversation

Cheese - Feta & Goat

Veggi1
Posted by Veggi1 at 08/09/2012

Does anyone know anything about the feta cheese industry? I know the horrors of the dairy industry but didn't know if feta/goat cheese was as horrific. I'm probably 85 - 90% vegan, but sometimes when eating out, I forget to request no feta cheese, and knowing the facts will solidify the request! Thanks!!

Responses

happycowgirl
happycowgirl08/09/2012 11:16:17
To me, taking milk from a goat is the same as from a cow in that the female goat is impregnated against her will and then her baby is taken away from her, with humans stealing the milk that is meant to be consumed by her baby.

I can't speak to the industry as a whole, but considering the fact that the President of the Dairy Goat Association was charged with felony mistreatment of animals, I'd skip the feta. Read on...

"Daniel Considine, President of the Dairy Goat Association, has been charged with felony mistreatment of animals for allegedly killing baby goats with a claw hammer, performing a caesarian section without anesthesia, and lighting a goat on fire before cutting the animal's throat.

By Animal News Center (ANC), 2/14/2004
by Farm Sanctuary

Daniel Considine, President of the Dairy Goat Association, has been charged with felony mistreatment of animals for allegedly killing baby goats with a claw hammer, performing a caesarian section without anesthesia, and lighting a goat on fire before cutting the animal's throat.

Mr. Considine claims he did nothing wrong, but written statements from four witnesses detail his alleged abuses.

"Setting a fully conscious goat on fire and cutting open an un-anesthetized goat, as Daniel Considine is accused of doing, are violent crimes as serious as those perpetrated against someone's companion dog," said David Cantor of Farm Sanctuary's Investigations Department.

"I am shocked at the suffering described by those who called us," Cantor said.

Cantor has been following the allegations against Considine since several witnesses claiming to have observed him abuse goats first filed written complaints with Farm Sanctuary in November 2003.

Regarding efforts by other goat breeders to defend Considine, Cantor said, "They haven't read the statements or spoken to the witnesses, as far as I can tell. They appear to be saying anyone who is a prominent goat breeder or makes money off of goats cannot be a goat abuser. Nothing is further from the truth."

"Farm Sanctuary often receives complaints of cruelty to animals by their owners," he added.

Cantor said the sheriff and district attorney have done an excellent job in the Considine case, and praised District Attorney Jane E. Kohlwey for standing by the charges.

"Our anti-cruelty laws exist for a reason," Cantor said. "Police and prosecutors who enforce them provide a crucial service. No civilized society can tolerate cruelty to farm animals."

Farm Sanctuary, with thousands of members in Wisconsin and 100,000 nationwide, operates state-of-the-art shelters for rescued farm animals and advocates for the humane treatment of farm animals.

Farm Sanctuary describes proper goat care at:

www.farmanimalshelters.org/care_goat.htm.

© 2004 Animal News Center, Inc."
Veggi1
Veggi108/09/2012 13:09:47
Thanks Happycowgirl. HORRIBLE! People who work in the meat, dairy or egg industry truly have to be disturbed. I'm going the whole way! I've been really conscientious for the past week about whether or not what I order when eating out is vegan and try to frequent the vegan restaurants as much as possible. It is heart-wrenching what these poor sentient beings must suffer through in order to appease someone's taste buds. I just don't get why EVERYONE doesn't get it!!
dinska
dinska08/19/2012 17:55:37
Feta cheese is usually not goat. Authentically it's sheep's milk, I would imagine the kind you find at most restaurants/supermarkets etc. is cow's milk. That does not make it less cruel. Just pointing it out.
happycowgirl
happycowgirl08/20/2012 18:00:25
Thanks, dinska. Always good to know!

After reading your post, I started looking into feta cheese a little more and read that it may also contain buffalo milk. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feta What the heck?! I had no idea.
dinska
dinska08/22/2012 20:11:04
Yes, the Balkan region (and Italy, for that matter -- authentic mozzarella and romano could easily be from buffalo milk) has many water buffalo. My family even had one -- they are very sweet and mellow animals. =)

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.