Join the conversation

Veganism vs social expectations

hvor_poetisk
Posted by hvor_poetisk at 07/24/2012

Hi cows!

When I got into vegetarianism I thought, and heard from different sources, that it might be easy for my taste-buds to get used to the lack of meat but it would be difficult to socialize. And though I must admit that some more or less awkward situations arose, most people accepted the change and made sure there always was something eatable for me.
However, going vegan just isn't that easy, socially, as vegetarianism. Most people just don't know what to serve, where to look, or what to do. And honestly, I really don't want to bother people who offers me diner much.

Anyways has anyone else had this problem and/or do have some good ideas?

Responses

happycowgirl
happycowgirl07/24/2012 22:34:04
Hi hvor cow! : ) Great topic. I absolutely had the same thing happen when I went vegan.

As for dining at other people's houses, I offer to bring a dish. Something vegan (of course) but I also try to make sure it's something most people like and will want to share.

Other than that, I think a lot depends on the hostess. I guess I was lucky to have friends who just outright asked, "ok now what do I serve your picky a$$ now that you're vegan?" :). If your host is receptive to suggestions, go ahead and offer them. Many hosts want more than anything to make you happy and just need some help figuring out how to do it. For example, when I told my friend, "Chips and salsa, guacamole, hummus and pita chips, the vegetable plate you always put out, the fruit plate - all of that is vegan!" She was delighted. It hadn't occurred to her that these things were vegan. And it was a great conversation starter b/c then she felt comfortable asking me about other stuff, like entrees, and what was vegan and what wasn't.

If it's a gathering of people I don't know very well and I don't know what will be served, then honestly I try to eat something ahead of time for insurance purposes. That way I am pleasantly suprised if there is something vegan for me to eat, but I'm ok if there isn't. If the host asks why I'm not eating I might say something like, "yeah, I'm vegan so I don't eat the (such and such), but no worries, I had a late lunch today and I'm stuffed" or "but no worries, I loaded up on the fruit plate you had out and OMG, were those strawberries organic? They were delicious"... you get the idea, I try to follow it up with some kind of compliment or positive statement.

Anyway, I hope this helped. I could go on and on talking about this stuff. : )
RestaurantsCan
RestaurantsCan07/30/2012 22:49:17
Hmmm Sounds good
Annegrrrl
Annegrrrl08/08/2012 12:03:22
I totally understand about the being invited to dinner thing! I definitely bring a dish just to make sure that I will have something to eat (and of course to share with others), so the host/hostess doesn't feel "bothered" by my dietary preference.

It definitely does depend on the host/hostess, some people are more knowledgeable about veganism than others... and there are definitely others who welcome it (and those who don't, really). It all depends on your audience, I suppose.

If I'm in a crowd I don't know, I am particularly sensitive to not talk about my lifestyle unless/until someone brings it up (always over dinner! Arggh!) and I always try to be very open and non-judgmental when someone does. Most people really don't have any information about veganism, they're misinformed, or worse - they've had an incident with a vegan or vegetarian that left a bitter taste in their mouth, therefore they think we're all condescending jerks. :-( That's never fun.

Good luck!!
animal2415
animal241508/12/2012 00:37:14
I have been vegetarian for the last few months and announced after ALOT of research that I was considering a vegan diet - you would have thought I had turned purple with yellow dots!
My friends are all meateaters and struggle to cook vegetarian dishes when I come for dinner, goodness knows what will happen when I start a vegan diet (planned for next week)!
People definatly struggle with the VEGAN lifestyle (it can be a big learning curve).
1rax
1rax08/20/2012 16:31:17
lol I don't even understand the question.
saskia48
saskia4808/25/2012 00:37:02
I've been vegetarian since 1984 and I really should turn vegan. Firstly because it makes more sense in terms of the animals and secondly because, although I love cheese, I'm dairy intolerant.

Can someone explain to me why vegans don't eat eggs? I keep two hens in the back garden, the eggs are not fertilised so what's the objection?
happycowgirl
happycowgirl08/25/2012 18:36:54
Hi saskia48,
Please, please go vegan! Not only is it wonderful for the animals, but it is so beneficial for your health. If you need some motivation, reading articles like this helped me go vegan when I was trying to make the switch, maybe it will help you too: http://veganrabbit.com/the-issues/torture-and-infanticide-why-dairy-is-bad/

All the best,
Happycowgirl
happycowgirl
happycowgirl08/25/2012 20:16:06
I'm really glad you asked about why vegans don't eat eggs. Here's why:

"When you eat an egg you are supporting the murder of hundreds of millions of male chicks every year (200,000,000 – two-hundred million in the United States ALONE). They are killed by the hundreds of thousands every day by being thrown in a dumpster and left to die, tossed in a garbage bag and suffocated, or more commonly, 'euthanized' by being ground up alive in meat grinders. But why do they need to do this? Wouldn't it be more profitable to kill them for meat? Actually, it is more profitable to kill male chicks by the millions because the money spent raising them wouldn't be worth the money earned in profits. It takes a lot of food, shelter and water to raise a chick into a full-grown chicken. Boy chickens simply will not grow as big or as fast as female chickens. They also are not able to produce eggs. Their bodies are a liability that must be disposed of before they start eating too much into the farm's profits, so they cut their losses early and 'humanely euthanize' (aka grind up) baby chicks that are only a day old. Every time you buy a carton of eggs, whether they are conventional, organic, free-range, cage-free, certified humanely raised, etc., you are in effect paying for the murder of hundreds of millions of baby animals." For more information and videos on life in an egg farm, please see http://veganrabbit.com/the-issues/rotten-why-eggs-are-bad/

But saskia48, you specifically mentioned you had two hens in the back garden. I will probably catch heck for saying this since I know many vegans will disagree with me, but my personal feeling is that if you have hens that are truly your companion animals who you would NEVER dream of sending to slaughter and who you care for like you would a cat or dog and you'll care for and love them into their old age until their natural death, I see no objection. That's just my personal opinion. I certainly don't speak for the vegan community on this one. Many people believe that animals are not ours to be used for food, period.
saskia48
saskia4808/27/2012 15:26:57
thanks, happycowgirl, that's pretty much what I was thinking. That's exactly why I have my girls. Some people think I'm a total nutter but my girls understand a lot of what I say and they're beginning to communicate with me. Being owned by hens is similar to being owned by cats...
katierhiainn
katierhiainn10/11/2012 08:06:15
please sign this petition to ban the testing of cosmetics on animals! epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/39856

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.