Join the conversation

Out of Ideas!

Bibbit
Posted by Bibbit at 07/06/2012

I have recently become a new vegetarian (celebrated my 2 months of veggie-dom on the Fourth of July with Fireworks!) and I am starting to lose motivation because I cannot find more things to eat. I am very adventurous when it comes to food, and I am just running out of ideas! HELP! Also, I'd love advice on what restaurants to go to with my meat-loving family where I will have options to eat too!

if you want to know more about my new advegture in vegetarianism check out my blog @www.newadvegture.blogspot.com

Responses

happycowgirl
happycowgirl07/08/2012 15:35:26
Whenever I need motivation, I simply take a minute to think about where my food comes from. Any type of meat was once a living, breathing animal that had feelings, had a mother, had social connections and only wanted to feel the joy of the sunshine on its skin and live a happy life. S/he didn't want to endure the horrors of a factory farm and be murdered just to spend 5 seconds in a human's mouth. I'd recommend that you watch the movie Earthlings. Then watch Fast Food Nation or Forks Over Knives. I'm instantly motivated after watching films like that.

I'm also adventurous when it comes to food! Do u like going to ethnic restaurants? Have u tried the veggie dishes at Indian, Ethiopian and Thai restaurants?

Have u been to Birchwood Cafe in Minneapolis? That's a great place to go with meat-loving family members.
Bibbit
Bibbit07/08/2012 20:25:28
I have really wanted to read the book Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer, I heard that's a motivator as well! Have you read it? Also, I love ethnic food, but my family doesn't love it. They're meat and potatoes people, which makes it a bit difficult. I will have to check out Birchwood Cafe soon! Thanks for the tip!
beth40something
beth40something07/09/2012 21:26:54
Kudos to you. I get recipes from Clean Eating Magazine..or their website..not all vegan but you can pick and choose.
Also...the very best protein shake ever (Arbonne-choc or vanilla) vegan..no whey and formulated without gluten. 20g vegetable protein from rice,peas and cranberries. You can make protein bars from it as well and the family will love them. If you want more info about it let me know...just know it's good :)
Annegrrrl
Annegrrrl08/08/2012 12:06:42
Stick with it! Check out www.thekindlife.com for recipes and tips and see if you can't find a local farm sanctuary (www.sanctuaries.org/) and spend a day with the animals that would otherwise end up on your plate.

It's better for you, it's better for the animals, it's better for the Earth. Don't give up!
AConferenceOfPears
AConferenceOfPears10/07/2012 10:58:08
At its most basic level, it should be more important to continue your non-contribution to animal slaughter than to worry about whether or not your diet is interesting or exciting. As long as your diet is nutritionally complete, does it really matter if you're eating the same things several times a week. As long as they're vegetarian, so what?

Forum moderated by HappyCowGirl

You need to be logged in or registered to post.